Upgrading Banias to Dothan on Toshiba M200 Tablet?

jschmidt1340

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Hi,

I am trying to get a new Dothan processor to work in my Tablet PC. I have a Toshiba Portege M200 Tablet. It currently has a Banias 1.7 proc in it that I would like to upgrade to a 2.0Ghz Dothan. Toshiba is currently shipping M200s with the new Dothan processor. The only difference I was able to determine is that they have BIOS v1.40 or 1.60. I have upgraded my BIOS to 1.60, but the processor is stuck at 598Mhz, which is the energy saving mode. I can't seem to get it to work at 2.0Ghz.

We have used CPU-Z to compare MOBO revisions between a Banias and Dothan machine and they are the same. Several of us can't seem to track down the cause. We can't get the CPU to run in Performance Mode.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem that may be able to help?

Thanks!

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Did you contact toshiba yet ? Other than flashing the bios (which you did) and crossing your finger, i don't think there is a whole lot you can do..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

jschmidt1340

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
Yeah, I contacted Toshiba and they were clueless. I was also trying to be careful because I didn't want to void my warranty with them. I know of other people who have also tried contacting Toshiba and have gotten nowhere also.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Hmm.. one idea perhaps. Does the machine post at 600 MHz ? Or is that the speed once windows is loaded ? If it posts at full speed, but windows throttles it down, you might try removing/updating the CPU driver in the device manager.

However, if the machine posts at 600 Mhz, even when plugged in AC, I think you're out of luck until a newer BIOS is released to address the problem.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

TRENDING THREADS