Asus G73 or Desktop !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianmars

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
hi, since a week i have been thinking and thinking whether to build a new desktop pc or to buy a new desktop replacement laptop. first i checked all the laptops that i can afford and except the Asus G73 i wasn't impressed with their specs. so i have been thinking whether Asus G73 will have enough power for my use. i will be using it for heavy graphics work and hd editing in adobe premier cs5 and a bit of gaming. i can build a pretty fast desktop in its price but i would love to have the mobility. so the question which is eating me is whether G73 (i7 720, 6gb ram, 500gb 7200rpm, HD 5870) would be a better option then a desktop (i7 930, 12gb ram, HD 5770, SSD, etc).

:)

Solution
I think that they would be about the same, even though the laptop wouldn't have as much guts as the desktop you are thinking about building. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not mobility is a big deal for you? Would you bring the laptop around with you or would you mainly do the brunt of your work at home? If it is the latter, I'm thinking that you should go with the desktop. If it is the former, then go for the laptop.
I think that they would be about the same, even though the laptop wouldn't have as much guts as the desktop you are thinking about building. The question you have to ask yourself is whether or not mobility is a big deal for you? Would you bring the laptop around with you or would you mainly do the brunt of your work at home? If it is the latter, I'm thinking that you should go with the desktop. If it is the former, then go for the laptop.

Solution

killswitch-core

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Wow this is almost exactly the same question I had in mind. I also intend to buy the Asus G73JW: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=WzU7IKA6SWdBvaRd

Now I am caught between two minds, contemplating whether I should buy a desktop or a desktop replacement :S

I will work on 3d graphic applications like 3ds max, Maya and Zbrush; which are pretty memory intensive and cpu/gpu intensive applications. Mobility is a BIG bonus for me, but I also dont want to end up with an expensive hardware like the g73 that may or may not stutter under full load. Can someone tell me where I can find a good review or benchmarks of mobile cpu/gpu tested on such 3d apps?

Or can anyone who has used 3ds max or maya on such high end laptops shed some light as to whether I should go for it or settle with a desktop? Please advise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS