MMO keyboard advice wanted

Ceejaey

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
I am looking mainly for a new keyboard for MMOs.

I've been considering Roccat Isku when it's released. Seems like a good keyboard all around with extra keys to the right and below ‘space’. Anyone have any previous experience with their keyboards?

I've also considered a gamepad, mainly Razer Nostromo or Logitech G13. Is the 'joystick' a viable replacement for wasd/esdf? Read that you could bind jump to clicking the stick down, which I think could give good movement with little keybinds used. Also a bit concerned that there might not be enough keybinds without going nuts on modifiers, those could be allieviated with buying Razer Naga but I'm not sure it can be comfortable for long gaming sessions. I currently don't use the so called 'claw grip' since I prefer a more relaxed grip and I think the naga’s grip might be even more of a stretch.

Any advice in the matter is greatly appreciated.

i play guildwars with a razer deathadder and old ibm model m keyboard.

i use the arrow keys for movement
ctrl, shift, enter keys for duck, jump, talk
the 6 button area above for targeting functions
the numberpad for skill keybinding.

i only use the mouse for clicking and camera zoom/rotate

comfortable enough for long gaming sessions. you could always keybind left control or shift to a mouse button (side ones?) for more numpad keybinds if you want.

this same setup can be used for virtually any game.
---

a device like the nostromo has both good and bad points to it:
pro
-small size, easy to fit on desk
-keys are close together, more ergonomic layout
-using keybinding might be a little easier to manage
con
-small size might cramp your hand after extended use since you wont be moving it around as much
-keys arent arranged in completely seperate groups which might make touchtyping skills/actions more difficult
-the joystick instead of arrow (or wsad) will require a bit of a learning curve
-if you have to use the keyboard to type on also you're now in an awkward situation.

----

as far as the naga goes, while having all the buttons at your fingertips might sound nice actually pressing the right ones when you want to is not as easy as it looks. having too many buttons on a mouse can be a bad thing. i examined one in a store awhile ago and i started getting a cramp just fiddling with it, just imagine your hand after a few hours of mmo play.

Ceejaey

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks for the reply ssddx.

You bring up some good points about pressing the right key on the Naga, probably a would be enough with half of those buttons but more spread out.

Will probably look more into Roccat Isku.