Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 failed to boot til' login screen

Last response: in Windows 7
December 6, 2012 1:30:19 AM

Hi I'm new here at toms and don't know where to post this. I know this question was asked several times now, but I can't find any solution for my Laptop. This is my problem and observations:
- When I boot, it turns black before windows login screen. As in nothing, no cursor, no picture.
- Normally when starting to boot, my HD indicator blinks (obviously) with bright blue color. After the problem occur, the HD indicator stops blinking and became slightly blurred colored.
- My power indicator is still turn on after the problem occur.
- After 5-7 times trying to boot it will boot normally. I just unplug then plug again because i can't shutdown and pressing power button does nothing.
- When I successfully boot, I tried to put my battery, then within a minute boom! black screen again.
- When I boot with my battery on and without the plug, there's no chance of success. (tried 10-15 times booting)
- I can go safe mode but not always.

Solutions i tried but no results:
- System restore (points from weeks to months)
- Scan with anti virus and anti malware
- System repair
- i removed my HD to see if that is the problem, but no it's not.
- did this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/why-is-my-s...

I asked this on other forums and suggest that it's more hardware than software problem, so going to computer repair shop is a solution. I just wanna have second opinion about this problem. Sorry for my long composition. Thanks everyone!

Best solution

December 6, 2012 12:13:16 PM

It does sound like a hardware problem. It could be your RAM is jiggly or your motherboard is faulty. It could also be your graphic card. The thing is, if it were a software problem you would at least get the boot screen, even if Windows is corrupt.

I suggest you get it checked for hardware, it seems something busted.
December 6, 2012 12:43:13 PM

drifter77 said:
It does sound like a hardware problem. It could be your RAM is jiggly or your motherboard is faulty. It could also be your graphic card. The thing is, if it were a software problem you would at least get the boot screen, even if Windows is corrupt.

I suggest you get it checked for hardware, it seems something busted.

Thanks for answering. That's 2-0, okay im going to computer shop now. Thanks again for the opinion :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2012 1:06:45 PM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
Specs plz!

Hi this is my unit:
Laptop: MSI EX465
Processor: Pentium Dual-Core T4500 @ 2.30GHz
RAM: 2gb
Video Card: ATI HD 5470
HD: hitachi ATA 320gb

is that all info you need? I'm not really expert in hardware.
m
l
December 12, 2012 7:18:50 AM

Best answer selected by codeb24.
m
l
June 28, 2013 6:43:02 AM

Good day. i just want to ask you what happened with your laptop? what was the problem detected and what is the solution. as of the moment, i am experiencing the same problem.

your response will be a big help. thank you.
m
l
June 28, 2013 8:14:01 AM

markphilipsy said:
Good day. i just want to ask you what happened with your laptop? what was the problem detected and what is the solution. as of the moment, i am experiencing the same problem.

Well this was a last year issue but hope it would help. Unfortunately, me and my friend try to dig deeper on my mobo and found out that the cpu was damaged due to consistent overheat. We take it to a comp repair shop and ask for confirmation about the conclusion. Sadly, it's true and i don't really have money that time to change it, so i just give it away to someone. Maybe this is the same as you, maybe not. So if i were you try to eliminate all the probability, and conclude later. Good luck!

m
l
June 29, 2013 5:22:08 AM

codeb24 said:
markphilipsy said:

Well this was a last year issue but hope it would help. Unfortunately, me and my friend try to dig deeper on my mobo and found out that the cpu was damaged due to consistent overheat. We take it to a comp repair shop and ask for confirmation about the conclusion. Sadly, it's true and i don't really have money that time to change it, so i just give it away to someone. Maybe this is the same as you, maybe not. So if i were you try to eliminate all the probability, and conclude later. Good luck!

Thank you very much for the reply. I was thinking also about hardware problems because before this incident, my laptop is always very hot plus i did smell something like a burning electronic piece plus it has a weird sound, (I thought it was my cpu fan) then after a few weeks, the sound was gone but the problem came, same exact problem as yours.

It is very sad to have this problem tho it is still usable but sometimes it is very hard to reboot 5-7x, but at least still working. I will be taking this to a repair shop to confirm and check on how much it will cost me.

Thank you very much again. last question, the cpu had the problem, or the cpu socket in your mobo?
m
l
June 30, 2013 7:33:51 AM

markphilipsy said:
codeb24 said:
markphilipsy said:

Thank you very much for the reply. I was thinking also about hardware problems because before this incident, my laptop is always very hot plus i did smell something like a burning electronic piece plus it has a weird sound, (I thought it was my cpu fan) then after a few weeks, the sound was gone but the problem came, same exact problem as yours.

It is very sad to have this problem tho it is still usable but sometimes it is very hard to reboot 5-7x, but at least still working. I will be taking this to a repair shop to confirm and check on how much it will cost me.

Thank you very much again. last question, the cpu had the problem, or the cpu socket in your mobo?

the CPU itself. It's a long story so i won't explain exactly how.
m
l
!