Pinball Transaction Database?

I'm kicking around the idea of trying to compile a pinball transaction
database that would be similar to the auction results on the Mr.
Pinball site but would rely on buyers and/or sellers submitting
information.

Information could include the game, a brief description of it's
condition, location and price. I figured this information could be
useful to prospective buyers and sellers plus would be an interesting
way to track pricing trends.

I'd be interested in any suggestions or comments (good idea / dumb
idea?).

Thanks,

John
48 answers Last reply
More about pinball transaction database

    It's a great idea if everyone participates. I'd imagine, though, that
    it might degenerate into a bitch forum for disgruntled buyers and
    sellers. Plus, some might want not to post the t/a for fear that it
    might be used against them in later negotiations.

    It's a great idea if everyone participates. I'd imagine, though, that
    it might degenerate into a bitch forum for disgruntled buyers and
    sellers. Plus, some might want not to post the t/a for fear that it
    might be used against them in later negotiations.

    I think it is a great idea

    It would end a lot of the gouging

    If it becomes a bitch forum for bad sales it will only be because bad
    sales took place

    Most sales are fairly good though

    but the bad ones need to be reported, not swept under the rug

    my two cents

    gary

    by the way ...

    most bad sales are a result of improper pin grading

    see Ebay today and every day for examples of that ...

    Good luck. I doubt many would be willing to divulge what is their
    personal business for all to ogle. I know I certainly never would.
    People would be called thieves for getting a great deal on a pin or
    called crooks for selling high. To me it's a no win situation.

    Cliffy
    A passion for pinball!
    www.passionforpinball.com

    People post here every day about it ...

    good seller, bad seller

    of course a lot are scared to name a bad seller that is a favorite up
    here, because of the flaming that would take place

    but on an independant site ....

    no direct flaming ...

    gary

    I guess my intent would be for this to be a tabulated list, which would
    not include the identity of the buyer or the seller.

    Then what is the point?

    People could just submit fake entries

    "Hey, I just paid $12,000 for a TZ"

    meanwhile the guy bought nothing and then tries to sell his own TZ for
    $11,500, giving the next guy in line a "deal"

    bad idea I think ...

    gary

    Then I'd tend to agree with Cliffy.

    Then I will agree with Cliffy as well

    gary

    Gary, for once we agree. Cliffy is right.

    Also, certain people might give false numbers or report transactions
    that did not occur to throw things off one way or the other. No way to
    verify unless both parties in a transaction are aware of the database.

    I think the two price guides that are available are as good as we can
    get. They use fairly scientific data gathering methods and are updated
    annually.

    John

    Those price guides are so-so ...

    They don't list by condition ...

    Just one flat price ...

    at least the ones I saw a few years ago ...

    There is no hope as far as cleaning up pin grading

    It is just screw or be screwed ... (that's why I don't sell anymore)

    Like a jungle out there

    gary

    Pinhead wrote:

    > I'm kicking around the idea of trying to compile a pinball transaction
    > database that would be similar to the auction results on the Mr.
    > Pinball site but would rely on buyers and/or sellers submitting
    > information.

    What would really be useful is to have eBay pin prices archived
    somewhere for individual games. Jay with the IPDB did it for two years
    strictly for EM machines, but indicated that it got to be too much of a
    hassle, so he stopped:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/ba552a4ec6efb48c

    Pinball transactions between collectors are often not consummated
    strictly with cash. Lots of horse trading going on. Also goats,
    mattresses, NOS playfields, what have you. I don't think a database
    devoted to this would lend itself to easy analysis like auction results
    or eBay prices would.

    - Josh A.

    The Mr Pinball guide gives the price for an average working machine.
    Add extra for a great machine and detract for a clunker. As a general
    guide I have found this book to be very good and I buy a new one every
    year.

    I've never seen the Larry Bieza's Pinball Price Guide, but I thought it
    has three prices for each machine that are condition dependent? I may
    buy one next year...

    John

    Yes Larrys breaks them down by medians of conditions. Even still I
    think the best price guide is whatever the current market is at the
    time. The only real time data we have will be from places like here and
    ebay. Google here on rgp for a game you want to know the price and
    condition of and sort by date or go to ebay and do the same thing.
    Gives a better general idea and probably more accurate than auctions
    results.

    Cliffy
    A passion for pinball!
    www.passionforpinball.com

    I think if you made it both buyers and sellers there would be issues
    (which are noted above). If you made it a seller only list though with
    all important information (condition, local pickup or shipped, etc)
    then maybe it would be useful. The buyer would not be identified, so
    it could not come back to haunt him at later dates.

    Aaron

    >I doubt many would be willing to divulge what is their personal business for all to ogle

    No kidding. Bad idea all the way around.

    Kirb

    >People post here every day about it ...
    >good seller, bad seller
    >of course a lot are scared to name a bad seller that is a favorite up
    >here, because of the flaming that would take place

    WTF does this have to do with game prices and transactions? Nothing,
    that's what.

    Kirb

    Kirb ...

    Let's see if we can do this without cheap shots

    What I am saying, is that behind the scenes I hear that some of the
    "faves" up here are the worst people on the planet to deal with in real
    life

    Not all

    Not most

    but a few .... (a few, a few, a few)

    but nobody goes public because they are smart and they don't want the
    flames

    ok ...

    gary

    >They don't list by condition ...
    >Just one flat price ...

    That is why it is called a "guide". The guide gives an idea of where
    the game is compared to others. This guide is far more helpful with
    other details than just price. In the end it is the opinion of the
    seller and buyer on price. A published book cannot track current trends
    (like the spike in funhouse pricing).

    >There is no hope as far as cleaning up pin grading

    Like anything else sold on the used market. Your opinion of condition
    is totally different than someone elses. Been like that since trading
    chickens.

    >It is just screw or be screwed ... (that's why I don't sell anymore)

    (here we go with the overblown IJ story again....)
    Did you ever hear of taking many clear digital pictures, answering
    questions, posting a fair and honest description, and acting like you
    would want a seller to act? How hard it is to sell and buy these days?
    I don't get all the gloom and doom. I have no problem buying and
    selling games (then again, I know what I am doing).

    Kirb

    I would not participate, nor would I bother checking the list when
    working my own transactions. The whole enterprise would be quite
    useless.

    We already HAVE something like this. It's called "check ebay completed
    listings."

    >What I am saying, is that behind the scenes I hear that some of the
    >"faves" up here are the worst people on the planet to deal with in real
    >life

    You avoided the direct questions -AGAIN-

    What does the good/bad seller have to do with a web page about
    transaction prices and locations? NOTHING.

    >What I am saying, is that behind the scenes I hear that some of the
    >"faves" up here are the worst people on the planet to deal with in real
    >life

    You are spouting second hand BS (which might even be untrue) for
    whatever reason. Unless you have a direct problem it would be in your
    best interest to STFU. What you "hear" doesn't matter and means nothing
    to this post.

    Kirb

    Kirb ...

    OK, you win ...

    I agree with you now, people in this biz are always, or almost always,
    very honest about disclosing condition of games

    I agree with you ...

    very honest hobby ...

    gary

    >I agree with you ...
    >very honest hobby ...

    You avoided the question YET AGAIN!

    You are on a quest to sully SOMEONE (god knows who today). Who is it?
    Come on Gary. Get it out. Quit being a pansy and just say who is the
    scumbag and get it over with. You know you want to.

    Did I say that everyone was a saint? no.
    It doesn't matter when the point is about a web page about prices.

    (watch him turn this post about me, or how hated he is, or whatever
    that isn't even on the same topic)

    Kirb

    1st line:
    "Let's see if we can do this without cheap shots"

    second line:
    "some of the faves up here are the worst people on the planet to deal
    with in real
    life"

    Hmm, that would be a cheap shot.
    Kirb

    Kirb ...

    easy ...

    I never said you cheated anyone

    I wasn't even talking about my local guy here

    I was talking in general ... I really believe that the constant
    mis-representation of condition of games takes its toll on the ability
    to sell really nice games

    What does "near-mint" mean at this point in the world of pins?

    Nothing ...

    Coin op is a dirty world and it always has been

    But we need a way to grade these games so new blood feels more
    comfortable investing money in the hobby. Baseball cards have
    increased in value at a far higher rate than pins, because a company
    named PSA came up with a solid grading system for the cards.

    but that is a different hobby and cards are a lot smaller than pins

    so it's probably impossible

    Buyer Beware ...

    take care ...

    gary

    Well, my original intention with all this was just a list including
    prices and conditions. Never meant to ID either buyers or sellers or
    even include a place for comments regarding the buyer or seller.

    For several (now obvious) reasons, it was a bad idea.

    John (who's sorry he brought it up in the first place....)

    Avoided the question AGAIN (that's three times)

    >I never said you cheated anyone

    Never said you did because I don't. This is about someone else you are
    trying to fry.

    >I really believe that the constant mis-representation of condition of games takes its toll on the >ability to sell really nice games

    You might be right, but you have to have a really nice game that is a
    wanted title. Your SF2 might have been a nice example, but you proved
    that you could not sell it here for what you wanted for it. Most
    collectors are smart enough to know what to look for. I don't see how
    this is a problem for you since you have picked (for now) CH as your
    resto guy.

    >Coin op is a dirty world and it always has been

    Why do you think this is a new problem and even a problem that can be
    fixed? You have to be smart enough to not get taken. I understand how
    that this is difficult for some people.

    >But we need a way to grade these games so new blood feels more
    >comfortable investing money in the hobby. Baseball cards have
    >increased in value at a far higher rate than pins, because a company
    >named PSA came up with a solid grading system for the cards.

    Please. You don't care about new blood. People new to the hobby want a
    working pinball. Most could care a less about a "grade A-B-9.7" or
    whatever game. This is almost as useless as the pricing/transaction web
    page. Baseball cards don't have steel balls rolling around on them,
    electronics that power them, or metal to rust on them. Any moron can
    grade a card that is the size of a playing card with two sides. BFD.

    You have been the only flag waver on this topic. Why don't you run with
    your big idea, sell a book, and call it the "gary's absolutly
    positively only way to sell a pinball grading system" and let us know
    how it goes. Be on the forefront of this. You already know how it will
    go...or won't. Same reason you don't have that for used cars...or
    houses...or slot machines...or just about anything else you can't hold
    in your hand.

    Kirb

    Don't be sorry at all John! The *concept* is good. The implementation
    would be a bear :)

    Cliffy
    A passion for pinball!
    www.passionforpinball.com

    >take care ...
    >gary

    Back to post deleting I see.

    Can't stand behind your BS for more than 10 minutes?

    Kirb

    I delete because it is like talking to a wall ...

    I am debating a concrete wall

    now take care ...

    gary

    He spends a ton of time posting all these messages and then spends even
    more deleting them all. What a nut.......

    10. gpct...@yahoo.com Aug 25, 3:01 pm hide options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
    From: gpct...@yahoo.com - Find messages by this author
    Date: 25 Aug 2005 12:01:10 -0700
    Subject: Re: Pinball Transaction Database?
    original | Report Abuse

    I delete because it is like talking to a wall ...

    I am debating a concrete wall

    now take care ...

    gary

    no gary, you delete because your posts because YOU (gary p. cubeta) are
    an assclown who trolls rgp with nothing better to do with his day. you
    have a newborn child, yet you choose to screw around on a pinball
    newsgroup trolling and then deleting your trolls. the time you waste
    doing both is soo productive, god your wife must be annoyed with you.

    if you want to see what a troll-clown looks like, look here...
    www.garycubeta.com

    i love adding your real name to posts gary so when people google your
    name you get the credit you deserve for being a nit-wit :-P)

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    I get caught up in the moment

    The only thing that really gets me going is the so-so guys in the hobby
    that screw the new collectors

    It's what holds the hobby back I think

    now flame me for saying that ....

    just flame, flame, flame ...

    gary

    >The *concept* is good

    It would be nice to track prices on that kind of level. Trouble is that
    most people don't want to tell people how much they bought something
    for, sellers don't want to let out that kind of data, etc...

    Kirb

    12. gpct...@yahoo.com Aug 25, 3:12 pm hide options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
    From: gpct...@yahoo.com - Find messages by this author
    Date: 25 Aug 2005 12:12:55 -0700
    original | Report Abuse

    I get caught up in the moment

    The only thing that really gets me going is the so-so guys in the hobby

    that screw the new collectors

    It's what holds the hobby back I think

    now flame me for saying that ....

    just flame, flame, flame ...

    gary

    are you still pissed because you got taken advantage of when you sold
    your huo ij for soo cheap gary p. cubeta? stupid is, as stupid does
    ;-P)

    www.garycubeta.com

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
    (have you changed a diaper yet?)

    > It is just screw or be screwed ... (that's why I don't sell anymore)

    That depends on how you buy and sell.

    All of my pins I have gone to pick up in person with cash. The only way I
    can get screwed is if I dont check the pin out thoroughly before handing
    over the cash.

    Yes, that limits my selection of pins, but with patience, usually what you
    are looking for will come around within driving distance.

    When I sell a pin, the same thing applies.

    This is just the way *I* like to do it, and I understand people by pins
    sight unseen (pics only) and have good and bad results. This way works for
    me, and so far have had not 1 problem with over 20 transactions.
    (selling/buying)

    So it really depends on how you buy and sell IMO.

    Skeets

    Attention ...

    don't try debate these guys

    don't follow my lead

    this started off as an innocent discussion about a database

    and it spun out of control

    gary

    Thanks to Pinky Boy and his Pink Patrol, I am now the most famous
    person in the history of the hobby that never was anything aside from a
    collector ...

    Thanks guys ....

    It has helped my collection as the pictures clearly show

    =)

    gotta run ...

    Gary

    > What would really be useful is to have eBay pin prices archived
    > somewhere for individual games. Jay with the IPDB did it for two years
    > strictly for EM machines, but indicated that it got to be too much of a
    > hassle, so he stopped:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/msg/ba552a4ec6efb48c

    What I was doing was searching "All Categories" using this criteria for
    the auction Title:

    "pinball -coasters -clock -flyer -kit -magnet -pachinko -repair
    -sticker -stickers"

    and then eye-balling each summary page. If I spotted an actual EM
    machine for sale, I would open up its auction page, then copy-and-paste
    ebay item number and End Date to MS Word, indexing by manufacturer and
    game name. I might add my own comments regarding condition.

    After I had gone through, say, 30+ pages of summaries, I would search
    all over again using this criteria:

    "woodrail"

    to catch even more games.

    Now after all of this, I only had a list of *pending* auctions without
    final sale prices. To get the actual final prices, I had to go back and
    review my MS Word lists periodically to see which End Dates had passed,
    then revisit ebay for each item number to record the final price. I
    also recorded the buyer's ebay handle, to identify if the same, few
    chronic high-bidders were a factor. :)

    Two or three days later, I would start this all over again, letting my
    browser's color-coding of previously-visited links indicate when I had
    caught up with my previous search. If I delayed until 5 or 6 days
    later, I knew I was in for quite a long online session, and the search
    results might take me through 50+ pages before I caught up with my
    previous search. I always continued until I caught up with my previous
    search, as I feared missing some critical finds. Remember, I was also
    searching for ipdb pics of hard-to-find games.

    It was quite a commitment of time for one person to do this, on a
    dial-up connection! Imagine the additional time if I had also included
    all of the SS/DMD games! But I was on a mission, as they say, and could
    not be deterred!

    > I don't think a database devoted to this would lend itself to easy
    > analysis like auction results or eBay prices would.

    Yes, ebay auctions were much easier for me to deal with than other
    sites. For instance, I considered tracking want ads, but how could I
    know when the game got sold, or if the seller changed his mind and
    forgot to cancel the ad? Could I expect the seller to reply to me, and
    how could I believe any price they might say? Ebay solves all of these
    things, and on a timed schedule, so to speak. The downside is that all
    we would ever see are prices from... *ebay*.

    Around the time I stopped doing this, I had read in the newspaper that
    ebay was about to market software that would collect and tabulate sales
    data from their auctions, allowing the user to "zero in" on what to
    study. I don't know if ebay ever got any such thing to the market. If
    they did, maybe someone could buy this software, publish the results,
    and ask for contributions to help defray costs.

    I know I was maniacal in doing what I did, yet I think that maybe, just
    maybe, something similar to what I did could be *attempted* anew if it
    spread out the labor to many people, not just one. But then, how do you
    turf the work, so people aren't wasting their time duplicating other
    folks efforts? I dunno. Maybe a common website, where any nice and
    antruistic ebay user simply inputs the ebay item number, and it either
    comes back saying already entered on the site, or it comes back asking
    for Manufacturer and Game Name. Then, automation can pull up the ebay
    auction page and scan it, looking to validate the manufacturer and/or
    game name somewhere in the text, then record the End Date, Country of
    Sale (this matters!) etc, etc, etc. You might still need one editor to
    review the listings to make sure ebay item numbers were not mis-typed,
    or games mis-identified, and the like. Oh yeah, then you probably need
    game condition earmarked for each end of the bell-shaped curve: games
    that are beautiful restorations, or games that are not working and are
    complete dogs. I tried to show such comments when I would post sale
    prices in rgp, so folks could weigh for themselves any skewed price in
    the list.

    Uh, oh. This idea is starting to get labor-intensive again?

    The ipdb, for example, depends on the volunteerism of a huge group of
    people "worldwide" to, first, share the vision, and then take the time
    to contribute to that site. Then, the work is shared by a small group
    of editors there, working in concert with the same goal for quality and
    consistency. Drawing from the same submission queue, each editor
    retrieves a submission and reviews its info before accepting into the
    database.

    Similarly, a Pinball Transaction Database might need an editor, or team
    of editors, working in concert, too. Your editors would review the ebay
    submissions to ensure accuracy of data before accepting them into the
    Transaction Database.

    This assumes that ebay surfers are aware of the site, share the vision,
    and bother to contribute.

    :)

    14. gpct...@yahoo.com Aug 25, 3:36 pm hide options

    Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
    From: gpct...@yahoo.com - Find messages by this author
    Date: 25 Aug 2005 12:36:29 -0700
    original | Report Abuse

    Thanks to Pinky Boy and his Pink Patrol, I am now the most famous
    person in the history of the hobby that never was anything aside from a

    collector ...

    Thanks guys ....

    It has helped my collection as the pictures clearly show

    =)

    gotta run ...

    Gary

    no, your money made from RIPPING PEOPLE OFF IN THE SATTELITE FIELD paid
    for those games. it is all in google under gary p. cubeta. :-)

    what does a guy who rips people off look like?

    www.garycubeta.com

    oh, gary, your such an honest guy to deal with, or so you say. what is
    this?

    http://groups.google.com/groups/adfetch?adid=R2f7sBMAAAAW_IyM4wadDQ0CheNmOj7iB_MuUCIzG_J0TEfwmEXeyg

    http://groups.google.com/groups/adfetch?adid=L136FhMAAADhqNRvSkTN7pt_8-kl3UuNOG_u8huZwyyyBC5SGDUejA

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/tree/browse_frm/thread/8c857696a97ed7f8/fdcf2bd1c6fd5141?rnum=71&hl=en&q=gary+cubeta&_done=%2Fgroup%2Frec.games.pinball%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F8c857696a97ed7f8%2Ffdcf2bd1c6fd5141%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3Dgary+cubeta%26rnum%3D6%26hl%3Den%26#doc_fdcf2bd1c6fd5141

    get a life clown...

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    BUTTON....!

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    ======================

    From: gpct...@yahoo.com
    >I get caught up in the moment

    ....or you can't make a solid arguement.

    >The only thing that really gets me going is
    >the so-so guys in the hobby
    >that screw the new collectors

    You don't really care about new collectors. You never tried to defend a
    new collector ONCE. You only care about the guy who YOU sold a game too
    cheap to. Now you say he screwed you. I'd like to hear his side.

    >It's what holds the hobby back I think

    Hobby is going gangbusters. I don't think I have seen pinball
    collecting as big as it is right now (maybe the import surge of 3 years
    ago).

    >now flame me for saying that ....

    don't turn this to another thread about you.

    Kirb

    Gary p Cubeta wrote:
    >Thanks to Pinky Boy and his Pink Patrol, I am now the most famous
    >person in the history of the hobby that never was anything aside from a
    >collector ...
    >Thanks guys ....
    >It has helped my collection as the pictures clearly show

    All anyone needs for a good collection is RGP (to tell you which games
    are good) and a boat load of money (because you have to buy your games
    restored).

    Have fun, Mr famous.

    Kirb

    John,

    Well i think it's a reasonable idea :)

    I've been looking to set up a Mr pinball trading-type board for the UK
    here, since no-one else seems to be bothered to do it - in fact i think
    i will. This group is great, but as is the popularity, 90% of you guys
    are from the Us, and prohibative shipping prices rule that out every time :(

    Here you either get to sell them on Ebay UK (at continual incredibly
    inflated prices), through a dealer who adds on their $$$%, or in the
    local free-ads pages.

    I want to be able to have somewhere on the site that allows you to put
    people - as in genuine lovers/collectors - in touch.

    Oh i forgot you can also advertise in the Uk Pinball assn magazine, but
    again you have to subscribe, meaning that the audience is smaller. And
    it;s only out bi-monthly.

    Pinball is still alive here - but only just because no-one other than 3
    major uk dealers can be arsed to push it :(

    Paul

    Pinhead wrote:
    > Well, my original intention with all this was just a list including
    > prices and conditions. Never meant to ID either buyers or sellers or
    > even include a place for comments regarding the buyer or seller.
    >
    > For several (now obvious) reasons, it was a bad idea.
    >
    > John (who's sorry he brought it up in the first place....)

    Hope he realizes how transparent he is... acts like a child and
    then guys like Grover and Someotherguy rightfully won't
    sell to him... so then now he mumbles stuff about "big names
    here are some of the *worst* sellers"...

    Not a troll anymore... yeah right.

    "kirb" <kirbseepe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I agree with you ...
    > >very honest hobby ...
    >
    > You avoided the question YET AGAIN!
    >
    > You are on a quest to sully SOMEONE (god knows who today). Who is it?
    > Come on Gary. Get it out. Quit being a pansy and just say who is the
    > scumbag and get it over with. You know you want to.
    >
    > Did I say that everyone was a saint? no.
    > It doesn't matter when the point is about a web page about prices.
    >
    > (watch him turn this post about me, or how hated he is, or whatever
    > that isn't even on the same topic)
    >
    > Kirb

    "Trying to get the cat's ass." Now THERE'S an expression you don't
    hear everyday.

    In article <1124999047.997523.51450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    Jay <webvisa@msn.com> wrote:
    >Around the time I stopped doing this, I had read in the newspaper that
    >ebay was about to market software that would collect and tabulate sales
    >data from their auctions, allowing the user to "zero in" on what to
    >study. I don't know if ebay ever got any such thing to the market. If
    >they did, maybe someone could buy this software, publish the results,
    >and ask for contributions to help defray costs.

    You can join their developer program and get aggregate data, but it's
    aggregated at a much broader level.

    It seems to me that eBay data still has some non-uniformities, even
    though you have only cash-value sales (no trades, etc.) that went through.
    For example, a person nearby might bid higher (or bid as opposed to not
    bid) due to seeing the game. Another possibility is that different bidders
    have different concerns about condition, condition being something that
    should be assessed on 3-5 scales. Some games get larger numbers of
    non-pinball-hobbyist bidders due to their theme, which means that the
    condition weighting would be different and there might be more "inept"
    bidders. Thought problem: would you want to take feedback into account,
    so that sales with a neg against the seller are considered "overprice"
    sales?
    --
    .................David Marston at MV

Games Database Video Games