Q: TSI S14001A VSU-100 Replacement Interest?

Hi all,

The TSI S14001A is an obsolete speech generation chip used on the
VSU-100 boards in several Stern pinballs.

Oliver (okaegi) has found a digital voice processor that can play audio
clips stored in an EEPROM. Oliver has high quality recordings of the
voices from each of the VSU-100 games.

The plan is to create a daughter board to plug into the TSI socket. The
card would have the new chip, a 1MB EEPROM, and supporting circuitry.
When the MPU selects a sound, the sampled sound would be played from
the EEPROM. It would be like an emulation of the TSI part.

Is there any interest in this board? Preliminary budgetary pricing is
$40-$50. I'm not looking for any pre-pays, just trying to see how big
the market is.

This product would only replace the TSI chip. If there are other
problems on your VSU, like the amplifer section, they would not be
fixed (though the board is pretty simple, and can be repaired fairly
easily).

Please email or reply with questions and comments.

Thanks,
Rob Williams

Sounds good to me, I've got two VSU-100's that have speech chips
myself.

Robert Williams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The TSI S14001A is an obsolete speech generation chip used on the
> VSU-100 boards in several Stern pinballs.
>
> Oliver (okaegi) has found a digital voice processor that can play audio
> clips stored in an EEPROM. Oliver has high quality recordings of the
> voices from each of the VSU-100 games.
>
> The plan is to create a daughter board to plug into the TSI socket. The
> card would have the new chip, a 1MB EEPROM, and supporting circuitry.
> When the MPU selects a sound, the sampled sound would be played from
> the EEPROM. It would be like an emulation of the TSI part.
>
> Is there any interest in this board? Preliminary budgetary pricing is
> $40-$50. I'm not looking for any pre-pays, just trying to see how big
> the market is.
>
> This product would only replace the TSI chip. If there are other
> problems on your VSU, like the amplifer section, they would not be
> fixed (though the board is pretty simple, and can be repaired fairly
> easily).
>
> Please email or reply with questions and comments.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Williams

Mark S. pointed out the Berzek/Frenzy boards have the same part.

I don't know if Oliver's sampled them yet, but if the interface to the
TSI part is the same, there is no reason these shouldn't work (though I
would also need to check the audio amp section on the Bezerk/Frenzy
boards).

Rob

If it was just a little bit more for the whole board, why not (like $10
more). If not, I'd be interested in at least one.

Robert Williams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The TSI S14001A is an obsolete speech generation chip used on the
> VSU-100 boards in several Stern pinballs.
>
> Oliver (okaegi) has found a digital voice processor that can play audio
> clips stored in an EEPROM. Oliver has high quality recordings of the
> voices from each of the VSU-100 games.
>
> The plan is to create a daughter board to plug into the TSI socket. The
> card would have the new chip, a 1MB EEPROM, and supporting circuitry.
> When the MPU selects a sound, the sampled sound would be played from
> the EEPROM. It would be like an emulation of the TSI part.
>
> Is there any interest in this board? Preliminary budgetary pricing is
> $40-$50. I'm not looking for any pre-pays, just trying to see how big
> the market is.
>
> This product would only replace the TSI chip. If there are other
> problems on your VSU, like the amplifer section, they would not be
> fixed (though the board is pretty simple, and can be repaired fairly
> easily).
>
> Please email or reply with questions and comments.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob Williams

Any other comments?

What about if I made a complete replacement VSU-100 and VSU-1000 (for
thoce vid heads out there)?

Thanks,
Rob

Total price is always the question......

Early talky Sterns are kinda rare, and when
available, were regional at best. Small market
for so few pins.

You would have to check in the vid groups to
see if there is more interest for them.

I'd be interested in a spare for my F2K for a
fair price.

--
Fred
TX