weird coincidences in the pinball/arcade hobby(share yours)

Last response: in Video Games
August 25, 2005 1:47:09 PM

Hello, been in the business since 1987 and would like to share some of
the most memorable ironic things pinball related:

In 95-96 had a Genisis in the shop and I couldnt sell for the life of
me. Sat in the shop for 2 years. It's a Saturday and I finally sell
the game for a discount to move it. The game is hauled out the same
day . On Sunday, A couple shows up with cash in hand to buy the same
game!

The same year get a call from a client who wants to sell a Highspeed,
On the way from his house(with the game in truck) I get a call from a
customer who wants to buy the pinball witn the siren on top! . The game
is sold to him a few days later!

This year I get 2 calls from separate people withinn 2 days that want
to sell me a vector pinball. I look at both and close a deal on
another. I have never owned this game.

This year I have a customer who trades in a old chicago on a Big guns
pinball . Later that same Afternoon I have another customer that is
looking for project games. On his list Old Chicago and Bobby orr. He
almost doesnt belive me when I tell him of the trade in that happened
earlier in the day. He buys the Old Chicago As/is.

This week is the topper , I get a call on a table ms. pac that has a
bad cpu . I go to the house and remove the cpu because its bad. I fixed
it the other day. Yesaterday I get a call on a Table pacman that has a
missing line cord. The house is literally 1/2 block away from the ms
pacman call! the people do not know each other . One was a former
client. The other got name from the phone book.

This hobby/business can be interesting. Im sure some have had similar
experiences. The above are positive happenings , I've had my share of
bad luck too! Thanks! JR
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:16:12 PM

Eric Schmitt wrote:
> > In 95-96 had a Genisis in the shop and I couldnt sell for the life of
> > me. Sat in the shop for 2 years. It's a Saturday and I finally sell
>
> Two weeks ago I picked up a Genesis, I found a piece of paper midway through
> the cabinet, this is what it had on it:
>
> John Ross
> 647-5811
>
> --Eric

Wow thats cool!
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 5:48:41 PM

2 years ago, I decided I wanted to get into EMs, and started looking
for an EM project locally. Found a non-working Crescendo on Ebay and
put in a bid of around $100. I'm in Atlanta, and the machine was in
Duluth, an Atlanta suburb. MINUTES after I put in the bid, my wife
came home to tell me she had been laid off. $100 wasn't going to kill
us, but it would have realy pissed off my lovely wife. No problem, I'm
sure my opening bid will be topped. Nope. I sweated out a week as the
high bidder, but got sniped by $2 with 30 seconds left. What a relief.

Fast forward two years, and I am helping an out of state guy put
together a 2 pin purchase/shipping deal. Go to pick up the second
machine. It's the Crescendo that I got beat out on. The guy who
outbid me hadn't touched it since winning it. All parties had a good
chuckle over that one.
August 25, 2005 5:49:52 PM

> In 95-96 had a Genisis in the shop and I couldnt sell for the life of
> me. Sat in the shop for 2 years. It's a Saturday and I finally sell

Two weeks ago I picked up a Genesis, I found a piece of paper midway through
the cabinet, this is what it had on it:

John Ross
647-5811

--Eric
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:40:24 PM

I've had TAF for a couple years or so. I thought my kids would enjoy
seeing The Addams Family movie, so they could understand the
characters. We watched it for the first time yesterday, then came down
to play some games, and started with TAF. When I turned the game on, it
had no sound, even though it had always worked before. I got my highest
score ever (by a bunch) while playing the first game. Seems a little
spooky to me.
Mark (CARGPB5)
August 25, 2005 8:45:13 PM

I am in Ontario, Canada and a number of years ago I sold a JD and a
TFTC to someone in the US (PA I believe). So last year I see an ad for
someone selling a JD in southern Ontario and I thought I would like to
have a JD back again so I go and have a look. I'm looking at it
thinking it had some very familiar marks on it but thought no way it
could have been the same one as someone had bought mine and taken it to
the US. So we struck up a deal and I take it home. I lug the pin down
into the basement and my wife is helping me set it up when she notices
a brown envelope with the manual it. It is one of those
interdepartmental envelopes used at large institutions. Well she turns
the envelope over and wouldn't you know it it was the same envelope I
had put a manual into when I originally sold the pin. My understanding
was that the JD had been traded a couple of times for other pins before
ending up back in my hands several years later. I guess this one was
meant to stay with me! I was just really surprised that it crossed the
border several times before getting back into my hands. Go figure how
things work out.

David
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:36:21 AM

I'm representing a client on 3 counts of aggravated fleeing and eluding
from the local highway patrol. Seems he liked to run from the locals
on his crotch rocket at speeds of up to 170 mph. After doing this
daily for a few months, he finally got nabbed.

I took his retainer and bought a High Speed II: The Getaway.

:)

Hopefully I can thank him by keeping him out of jail!
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:16:19 PM

I've got a couple of semi-interesting coincidences in my pinball life:

- When I finally decided I wanted to buy my own pinball machine, an ad
was in the local newspaper for a 1987 Bally. I called the guy up and
asked him what it was called? He said "Dungeons and Dragons," which
seemed so perfect for me because I play D&D with my friends every
weekend and have since I was 15 (I'm 39 now). Needless to say, I
bought that machine.

- A month or two later when I realized I had to have ANOTHER pin,
another ad was in the paper for a 1987 Bally. There was no phone
number, the ad was just advertising a big garage sale. I went to it
early that day to see what the pinball machine was. No, it wasn't
another Dungeons and Dragons, it was a Hardbody. Interesting for a
couple of reasons: one of my other major hobbies was working out, and
(in case you didn't know) Hardbody and D&D were both created by Ward
Pemberton and both had the "magic save" / "flex save" feature that
closes the outlanes with an extra button on each side of the cabinet by
the flipper buttons. To my knowledge, these are the only two machines
with that feature. I bought this machine as well.

So early in my collecting, I had both of these machines. I got rid of
them within a year as I developed the taste for more modern games.
Neither of these machines are deep; D&D has the better theme and
graphics, but Hardbody by far had the more "fun factor" of the two
(IMO).

I thought this was a little ironic, anyway...

-Brannon
August 26, 2005 5:35:41 PM

I have a small world story to share.

I have a friend that used to play High Speed in the late 80's at the
arcade at the Blue Springs Mall near Kansas City. I have been
collecting pinball for 8 years now. I have even accumulated some games
at my parents' house in Michigan (I live in the KC area). We sold one
of the games to my parents' neighbor.

One day my dad calls and says the neighbor called and indicated a
friend of theirs is having a problem with their own pinball machine.
Knowing my ability, even though it would be long distance, would it be
OK for the neighbor's friend to call? So the neighbor's friend calls.
It turns out to be a High Speed which keeps blowing the flipper fuse.
I point them to start by cutting the ceramic disc capacitor from the
flipper button switch to see if this makes the problem go away. It
does the trick. I then tell them to find and install a replacement
ceramic disc capacitor.

Knowing that I live in KC, the friend of the neighbor starts making
small talk saying they used to live in KC. Moved to Michigan about
1990. I ask where they got their game. They said out of the Blue
Springs Mall arcade.

Small world. I fixed the High Speed my friend used to play, long
distance no less.

Mike O.

Mike O.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:55:48 PM

23 years ago I divorced my first wife. I went right out and got the
two things she refused to let me have. A jukebox and my Dalmation. A
few months later the op I bought the jukebox from calls me and tells me
he has 20+ SS pins for sale. They are all parts/projects missing
boards. He says the boards just dissapeared or were used for other
games. It was a big company. $1100 for all, delivered. OK. Come on
down!

I check them out and sure enough many of the boards are missing. I get
a call a week later from one of the route guys. He tells me he knows
where I can get a box of boards. Not real cheap though. $500. I told
him to bring them over.

He comes over and we lay them out on the floor. I grab a system 1
Gottlieb with the "G" prom and walk over to the Close Encounters.
Fires right up. Funny. Board has the same ID # as the game I
purchased. Hummmmm. Check them all and except for a few they match up
with the serial numbers of all the games.

I then asked him to make a decision. Take $20 for delivering them to
me, or I call the Op.

You guess which one he chose.

Mario
Pinthetic
August 27, 2005 2:00:44 PM

Mario,

Awesome story!! $1120 for 20 games AND the loss of an irritating wife!!!
Great stuff!!!! The pinballs were probably less headache than the ex.!!!

Great stuff!!!

Jim

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 23 years ago I divorced my first wife. I went right out and got the
> two things she refused to let me have. A jukebox and my Dalmation. A
> few months later the op I bought the jukebox from calls me and tells me
> he has 20+ SS pins for sale. They are all parts/projects missing
> boards. He says the boards just dissapeared or were used for other
> games. It was a big company. $1100 for all, delivered. OK. Come on
> down!
>
> I check them out and sure enough many of the boards are missing. I get
> a call a week later from one of the route guys. He tells me he knows
> where I can get a box of boards. Not real cheap though. $500. I told
> him to bring them over.
>
> He comes over and we lay them out on the floor. I grab a system 1
> Gottlieb with the "G" prom and walk over to the Close Encounters.
> Fires right up. Funny. Board has the same ID # as the game I
> purchased. Hummmmm. Check them all and except for a few they match up
> with the serial numbers of all the games.
>
> I then asked him to make a decision. Take $20 for delivering them to
> me, or I call the Op.
>
> You guess which one he chose.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:22:10 PM

A couple years ago at the York Show, http://www.theyorkshow.com , I got a
Gottlieb Atlantis EM on Friday, then Saturday, a Gottlieb Buccaneer, and a
few weeks later, when I set them up side by side, just like when I played
them years back in a Coney Island arcade, along comes the one that sat next
to Buccaneer, Neptune, less than 300 produced. This pin showed up in Mr.
Pinball Classifieds from a seller in Vt. This was his only pin. So now, I
have all three Gottlieb wedgeheads, side by side, just like when I played
them years ago. I remember somewhere in Coney Island, there was a Poseiden
also, but I've never seen one of these for sale.

Josh
http://www.pingeek.com pinball dvds for sale

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> 23 years ago I divorced my first wife. I went right out and got the
> two things she refused to let me have. A jukebox and my Dalmation. A
> few months later the op I bought the jukebox from calls me and tells me
> he has 20+ SS pins for sale. They are all parts/projects missing
> boards. He says the boards just dissapeared or were used for other
> games. It was a big company. $1100 for all, delivered. OK. Come on
> down!
>
> I check them out and sure enough many of the boards are missing. I get
> a call a week later from one of the route guys. He tells me he knows
> where I can get a box of boards. Not real cheap though. $500. I told
> him to bring them over.
>
> He comes over and we lay them out on the floor. I grab a system 1
> Gottlieb with the "G" prom and walk over to the Close Encounters.
> Fires right up. Funny. Board has the same ID # as the game I
> purchased. Hummmmm. Check them all and except for a few they match up
> with the serial numbers of all the games.
>
> I then asked him to make a decision. Take $20 for delivering them to
> me, or I call the Op.
>
> You guess which one he chose.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic