Need Advise on Monitor for Pro Animation

Looker26

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: $500-$1000

Monitor Usage from Most to Least Important: Animation Creation, Editing and video playback.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Dell Monitors, Fry's

Country of Origin: Open

Brand Preferences: Dell, Asus, Samsung, Hp (possibly)

Physical Size (Diagonal): 24-30 inch

Resolution(s) You'll Consider: 1920x1200 or higher

Computers and Other Devices To Attach: 1 computer will be connected by DVI or VGA. HDMI possible.

Panel Type(s) Desired: PVA or IPS. I need accurate color representation and fast refresh rates.

LED Backlight: No requirements.

Speakers: Avoided

Wall-Mount: Avoided

Stand Functions: Any available

Additional Comments: (e.g.: I want the best image quality, I want low input lag, I want easy input switching)

Looker26

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
HI all, I should put a bit more information. This monitor is for a cartoon animation producer who creates characters and drawings on his computer with Adobe. He has complained lately that the color is not matching his monitor when he takes the content that he created and looks at it on other computers. So I need a monitor that has accurate reproduction of color and has a good refresh rate. Thanks in advance for the advise.

if you want the best color accuracy i'd agree with your statement on wanting IPS. just make sure you get a P-IPS, H-IPS, or S-SPS .....and not an E-IPS as this is an inferior panel type to the other three.

the refresh rates on the monitors (in the usa) will be 60hz, this is a standard for any monitor (besides dual-dvi input TN-panel models that are 120hz).

i wouldnt worry too much about input lag/response times as long as they are 14 and below and its a main brand. keep in mind that IPS panels have higher responste times than other panel types but in current days i doubt you'll find ghosting even on the 14ms ones. (my old 16ms never ghosted).

as far as resolution is concerned how much is required? for around that budget you could get a u2711 or similar monitor from another brand with 2560x1440. something like this would be nice for graphic work as long as you have a pc capable of driving it!

Well there are at least three problems this person is going to encounter.

1. The other monitors may be of a different panel type, such as TN panel. If he is comparing the colors to other co-workers' monitors then I is likely they are using a VA or IPS panel monitor since it they should be concerned about color accuracy. For simplicity, let's just say that colors on a VA panel should look the same as on an IPS panel.

2. If he is working in a production studio, then basically everyone's monitor should more or less be the same make and model to reduce the chance of colors looking differently from monitor to monitor. Even if you have a Brand ABC IPS panel monitor, and your co-worker has Brand XYZ IPS panel monitor, the colors can look slightly different even when properly calibrated because of minor variations in their design.

3. This relates to #2... There are basically two types of color gamuts; normal and wide. Normal color gamut typically covers 72% of the NTSC color space, while wide color gamut typically covers around 94% of the NTSC color space. Basically wide color gamut extends the range in all primary colors (Red, Green, Blue), but it extends into the Green spectrum more than Red and Blue. This results in different shades of colors being displayed on the screen. Therefore, he needs to determine if everyone is using a normal or wide color gamut monitor. The following like to Eizo's site give a more detailed explanation about color gamut.

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/library/basics/lcd_monitor_color_gamut/index.html

If everyone has monitor of different make and model, panel type and color gamut, then it can be difficult to have colors exactly the same on everyone's monitor.