Twin Castle: "dual front side bus"

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Intel appears to have understood the limitations of using a shared front side bus in multiprocessor configurations... Hopefully. Look:
Twin Castle will support <b>dual front side buses</b>, DDR2-400 memory, EM64T, PCI Express and direct connect storage components. The "Cranford" chip will target the value end of the four way market.
From the <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17802" target="_new">Inquirer</A>...

Hopefully, the dual core chips get the opportunity to use either a faster FSB or a dual FSB.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I think you're reading this wrong.. this doesn't sound any different to me than any other SMP capable chipset from intel. It just means twincasttle will support up to two CPU's (hence, two fsb's), just like current 2 way xeon chipsets. I didn't read point-to-point in it though, so I assume its still shared. If not, it can't be compatible with current the current AGTL+ based bus, and I've not read anything on a new bus from intel.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm, it is likely that I was wrong, you could laugh at me. :smile:

However, since Intel coming up with better products would benefit us, I don't see any reason to laugh...

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
So both Mephisto and I can laugh at you then ?
:D

Anyway, I don't think there is anyone to laugh at really, I'm not 100% positive about this either, there is not a lot of information. And I sure as hell have read more stupid things around here

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
Out of curiousity meph, what's your rig setup?

AMD 64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
ATI AIW 9600XT
WD Raptor 74GB

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm, exactly... It's a dual p3 933Mhz on a CUV4X-D with only 256MB PC133 SDRAM... With a GF4 Ti4200 (128MB version) and two hard drives. Loud as hell.

My next computer, if the earth doesn't stop spinning, should be an A64 3500+... I'll make sure I get a quiet, well designed and more balanced rig this time.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Quiet, well designed, and balacned? That is insane. Who would want a computer like that?
Oh, wait...everyone.

I got my fingers crossed so the earth wont stop spinning for ya.

What do you call a group of midgets? A pack, gaggle, a pride, or maybe just a murder?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'll make sure I get a quiet, well designed and more balanced rig this time.
Good luck! Quiet <i>and</i> optimally performing is <i>damn</i> expensive. (Though if you don't mind voiding a few warranties in the process, it does get cheaper.)

I'm just happy to maintain a medium performer that's reasonably quiet. If I had that ellusive thing called a disposable income I'd make mine a lot more silent. I can't say that I really care about top performance at the moment though, not in light of the component prices, electricity cost, and heat output involved. Maybe I'll change my mind around XMas. Money moves more freely <i>and</i> it's cold then. ;)

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>