AMD has started shipping 90nm products

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040812170423.html" target="_new">There you go</A>, AMD is apparently going through a seamlessly well executed transition towards 90nm.

Intel better watch out. Their products look extremely uninteresting if compared to a 2.4/2.6/2.8Ghz A64 lineup, which will probably be quite feasible on 90nm (heck, even 3.0Ghz and above!)

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
Honestly I have no idea what Intel is going to do about all this... they couldn't be much further behind right now and nothing ever seems to go right when they attempt to catch up.

AMD 64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
ATI AIW 9600XT
WD Raptor 74GB

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Ow well, I guess things could be worse for them... Not much, but things could be worse.

Their new processor doesn't scale nearly as much as they expected it to, it's much too hot and is probably useless in the long run. They'll have to rely on smithfield being any good. They'll have to rush it out the window and still make it good... If they have any wits, they'll go with Dothan and make us all happy. If not, we'll be ranting about dual netburst cores all the way to 2006!

At least the sonoma platform has received a green light now...

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
BTW Meph, I'm kinda new here but I find your posts probably the most helpful/informative of anyones. Thanks for all the info you post here every day.

AMD 64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
ATI AIW 9600XT
WD Raptor 74GB

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
It funny how you guys are talking out of your ass.

You all think you know better than Intel.

You all seem to know what Intel needs to do and the only ones not knowing are Intel themselves.

===========================
<A HREF="http://www.clan-chaos.com" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

endyen

Splendid
You are the one who is really funny. How many of Meph's posts have you read?
It may be that I haven't called him an Intel fanboy for a couple of months, but that isn't because it wasn't true.
Meph has been an Intel cheerleader for too long. It's nice to see that he has looked past an old prejudice.

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
Thanks for the informative post Pete... nice website you have there too by the way. Anyway, the numbers/history don't lie man... they ARE falling further behind and every time they try to catch up its a fruitless effort. We know they are a big company and you probably believe they know what they are doing, but even big companies with all their marketshare and "power" can make mistakes. We aren't saying they are down for the count, just that things don't look so good right now. BTW I can still feel the Intel fan inside Meph's posts, thats why I asked him what his rig setup was the other day.

AMD 64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
ATI AIW 9600XT
WD Raptor 74GB

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
You all think you know better than Intel.

You all seem to know what Intel needs to do and the only ones not knowing are Intel themselves.
Well, Intel certainly isn't doing much to prove us wrong lately. :wink:

<i>"Intel's ICH6R SouthBridge, now featuring RAID -1"

"RAID-minus-one?"

"Yeah. You have two hard drives, neither of which can actually boot."</i>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Meph has been an Intel cheerleader for too long.

Dunno. To me it sounded more like he was buying too much into company PR and expecting miracles (especially from Intel) where there wheren't any to be expected (think EM64T, higher bus speeds, DDR2, PCI-E,..). I guess he learned the hard way not always to trust PR statements, put too much faith into new acrynoms or intel's roadmaps :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Seems you haven't caught up on current events. Intel CEO doesn't BLATANTLY and PUBLICLY call out the troops unless some thing is FUBAR. This is more than a "cracked" crystal ball here!

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.5ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Its still a bit early to call it "seamless", but its good news nevertheless. One has to credit AMD for executing extremely well these last 12+ months; especially ironic since intel hasn't managed nearly a single deadline on any product in the same time frame. Times, the are chaaa-aanging :)

Oh just a small word of caution; I may have said this before, but don't expect clock scaling miracles from AMD's initial 90nm products. My guess is they will geared towards low power (mobile A64, opteron EE) and high volume (cheap 3000+ class mass production). It may take until early next year when they move to their 11 layer process before we see what its capable of in terms of scaling. OTOH, I am really looking forward to see what AMD can do in the mobile area. They made it their second priority after servers, and so far, we haven't seen a really credible attempt to counter Dothan/Centrino in anything but DTR while they have been well ahead in the server market (top priority) and the desktop (lowest priority). Maybe with 90nm they will make something competitive for the thin&light mobile market as well ? Sure could use some competition there, Dothan based products are still expensive as hell, especially considering how cheap the cpu must be to produce.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Here is the full transcript <A HREF="http://www.investorshub.com/boards/read_msg.asp?message_id=3795722" target="_new"> link </A>

Some interesting quotes:
AMD appears to be executing well on its AMD64 roadmap. <b>AMD is one of the few companies on
90nm that does not seem to have had significant delays or defect issue</b>. Revenue shipments of
AMD64 notebooks on 90nm started this week, well within the planned schedule for shipments
prior to the end of Q3. Desktop AMD64 shipments on 90nm will commence a month later,
followed by servers.
]

Defect issues ? i've not heard anyone having trouble with that part of 90nm (well, maybe UMC).

AMD is tracking particularly well with Opteron. It is on target to reach 10% market
share by year-end, up from 4% today, based on design wins already in place. <b>Given the 12-month
or more design cycle in servers, AMD has some visibility into 2005, when it expects to further
increase its server share, ultimately toward 20%.</b> It has very strong customer support from Sun, HP
and IBM, and is continuing to work on securing a design win with Dell. The catalyst for the latter
would likely be market share growth to up to 20%.

and here is the real kicker:
AMD's roadmap in microprocessors includes launchinga dual-core processor next year, and potentially a <b>quad-core processor in 2007 </b>on the 65m/300mm

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
I think AMD will show Intel haw to use 90 nano on a decent way.
What intel is dooing with 90 nano we just cant take serious, now can we ?
For a joke okay, but serious selling those things ?

Toms Hardware Site is a joke !
Looks like intel spent more on bribing reviewers to cover up it aint that great than they did in R&D, you know what im talking about Tom !

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think AMD will show Intel haw to use 90 nano on a decent way.
Funny, since IBM showed AMD in the first place. :O But in a way you might be right. Intel has denied needing SOI. We've seen how well that denial has helped them. Strained silicon just isn't enough. Hopefully Intel's next core revision will just include SOI in the manufacturing process and we can be done with this nonsense. Unfortunately Intel doesn't look to be prepared to go to these extremes until their 65nm process.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
NO ONE HAD BETTER SAY that AMD is doing it well because they let Intel iron out the bugs

theres no way Intel would give AMD benficial information liek that

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Brand name whores are stupid!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Lots of valuable lessons can be learned simply by observing. Of course Intel aren't going to actively <i>help</i> AMD, but that doesn't mean AMD haven't learned anything from Intel's 90nm tech.

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL/1x512Mb Corsair XMS PC4000 2.5-3-3-7
Sapphire 9800Pro @412/740

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
how would they? how much can you actually learn from just buying a retail Prescott and looking at it? honestly im asking because i dont know

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Brand name whores are stupid!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
how would they? how much can you actually learn from just buying a retail Prescott and looking at it? honestly im asking because i dont know
AMD wouldn't have learned from buying a retail Scotty. AMD would have learned from reading Intel's publicly available whitepapers. But that doesn't really matter as it wasn't Intel that AMD was doing most of its learning from.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>how much can you actually learn from just buying a retail
>Prescott and looking at it?

Depends what you are looking for. If you look at it like Hans de Vries, you can learn a surprising ammount of things :) But afaics, not on the process itselve. besides, Intels and AMD's processes are far too different (beyond even SOI/SS differences) to the point where I doubt AMD would learn a whole lot of usefull things (for them) from intel, even if they where allowed to sit next to intel process engineers for a couple of weeks :)

That being said, rest assured intel and amd buy each others products, and thest them thoroughly. To the point of slicing them up and putting them under xray microscopes or whatever. I used to subcontract for a small company that makes CMOS imaging sensors, and I once saw an x-rayed picture of one of their products.. done by a competitor trying to figure out how they did it.. :)

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
What would 2.4, 2.6, 2.8Ghz lineups be rated...4000+? also what Cahce size should i be drooling over here? 1MB?

How high should AMD be able to push 90nm? I know people said 3Ghz easily....what about 3.5 or 4?

What timeframe will the higher end (i.e. 3Ghz+)hit the market? any projections?

4Ghz A64...that would make me blow a load in my pants.

What do you call a group of midgets? A pack, gaggle, a pride, or maybe just a murder?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I think you're kind of daydreaming when thinking about 4Ghz; after all, AMD would then run into power dissipation problems too, in all likelyhood.

Not that I wouldn't be interested in an A64 @ 4Ghz, but I'm thinking AMD won't make much past 3Ghz on 90nm. Could be wrong, though. I wouldn't expect a full 4Ghz, though. If Intel keeps stalled and 90nm enables 4Ghz athlons, AMD might reach Intel in clock rates... which would of course mean hell for Intel.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Everyone gives AMD 3Ghz easily, i was just picking something that is very high but MAYBE on the outskirts of a possibility. I know dual cores are comming soon and single CPU will slowly be phased out over 3 maybe 5yrs.

RIGHT NOW i would pay the $800+ a A64 FX chip if it were 3.5Gz. Hell i would pay the $1000 for a 3.5Ghz A64.
That would be like a A64 4800+ or something....*Drools*

but anyway back to the real point, Is AMD going to 65nm like Intel? also when Dual core comes out and AMD has dual 2.2Ghz cores....will it be called a 4.4Ghz processor?

Sorry i am asking so much, i am illiterate and also i dont know how to read.

What do you call a group of midgets? A pack, gaggle, a pride, or maybe just a murder?

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>Everyone gives AMD 3Ghz easily

3 Ghz seems a reasonable target for K8 on 90nm, but I wouldn't say "easy". 4 GHz is daydreaming for sure. If you want a number "MAYBE on the outskirts of a possibility", I'd go with 3.4.. and that would definately be the outer edge of those outskirts IMO :)

> I know dual cores are comming soon and single CPU will
>slowly be phased out over 3 maybe 5yrs.

Says who ? I don't believe single core will be phased out over the next ~10 years honestly.

> Is AMD going to 65nm like Intel?

Of course.

> also when Dual core comes out and AMD has dual 2.2Ghz
>cores....will it be called a 4.4Ghz processor?

No.