Toshiba satellite A 215

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggs

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
A password has been set and I do not have it. The one you need before the computer even boots. What steps do I need to Take? Do I Have to get a new security chip?

Diggs

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010

Yeah, I'm not gonna pay to have something done I can do my self. I was just hoping that somebody would know the procedures . toshiba protocal.

G

The problem is that laptop security has been taken a lot more seriously since some landmark cases involving sensitive data. Formerly you could dig around and find the backup battery and once that was disconnected and capacitors had discharged the password would be lost from volatile RAM. Now they may be using flash memory and unless you're into identifying and unsoldering surface mount components and replacing them, you may be out of luck.

Toshiba presumably maintain a back door into this for legitimate owners those who lose their password.

Diggs

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
Thank you so much for the info. I am the second owner And registard withn toshiba. They want $200-400 to fix it. I didn't even set the password. My recovery media came in the mail from toshiba and I used it. when it was done the black screen with the blue box that says password sat before me. IDK@*%#

G

The fee for fixing it seems out of all proportion to the value of a used laptop.

Given that the problem seems to have arisen after they supplied a recovery disk it may be worth writing to Toshiba detailing the history and appealing to commonsense/human decency for them to help you fix the problem without such a charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.