error message for MSN messenger games (i have nowhere else..

Tags:
  • Games
  • Error Message
  • MSN Messenger
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 2, 2004 2:39:54 PM

okay, because i've tried two places and I got diddly squat
for help with this from them I'm coming here.

When attempting to request playing one of the defualt
games provided with msn (all of the 5 given games) nothing
happens, on my screen or otherwise.

When I accept a friends request to play a game, shortly
after the blue screen comes up with useless buttons that
don't work, I get an error message that reads as follows:

"Internet explorer script error
An error has occured on the script on this page

Line:228
Char:2
Error: FIlename or classname not found during Automation
operation
Code:0

This occured roughly 15 hours ago on July 30, 2004. I am
running MSN Messenger 6.2 with Windows 98 Second edition
on a Personal Computer.

Can anyone help or give me a DIRECT e-mail to the very
person I should be asking? I DON'T need anymore idiot e-
mails giving me answers for questions i didn't ask!

More about : error message msn messenger games

Anonymous
August 2, 2004 7:53:11 PM

Jill wrote:

> okay, because i've tried two places and I got diddly squat
> for help with this from them I'm coming here.
>
> When attempting to request playing one of the defualt
> games provided with msn (all of the 5 given games) nothing
> happens, on my screen or otherwise.
>
> When I accept a friends request to play a game, shortly
> after the blue screen comes up with useless buttons that
> don't work, I get an error message that reads as follows:
>
> "Internet explorer script error
> An error has occured on the script on this page
>
> Line:228
> Char:2
> Error: FIlename or classname not found during Automation
> operation
> Code:0
>
> This occured roughly 15 hours ago on July 30, 2004. I am
> running MSN Messenger 6.2 with Windows 98 Second edition
> on a Personal Computer.
>
> Can anyone help or give me a DIRECT e-mail to the very
> person I should be asking? I DON'T need anymore idiot e-
> mails giving me answers for questions i didn't ask!

This might apply:

MSN Messenger 6.0 Beta
MSN Messenger 6.0 Final Release
Solitare Showdown
Minesweeper Flags
Bejeweled
Checkers

Messenger, you may receive the following error:
Messenger is unable to start <game> where game = Solitare Showdown,
Minesweeper Flags, Bejeweled, or Checkers.
When your opponent is unable to start the game, you may receive the
error:
<your buddy> is unable to start <game> where buddy = your opponent
and game = Solitare Showdown, Minesweeper Flags, Bejeweled, or Checkers.

Cause:

MSN Messenger 6.0 option setting is preventing Passport from connecting
you to Zone.com

Resolution:

On the main console window of MSN Messenger 6.0:

1) Click Tools
2) Select Options
3) Click the Privacy Tab
4) Uncheck the box for the setting:
Always ask me for my password when checking hotmail or opening other
..NET Passport-enabled Web pages
5) Click OK.
6) Exit MSN Messenger 6.0 by right clicking the icon in the system tray
and choosing Exit
7) Restart MSN Messenger 6.0 and sign in

More Information:
Zone: Network Ports Required to Play
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q159031

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address if you email me.
August 3, 2004 12:54:56 AM

This does not help me, for I never have that setting
checked. Thank you for trying, but I still require aid.
August 3, 2004 11:15:11 AM

Jill wrote:

> okay, because i've tried two places and I got diddly squat
> for help with this from them I'm coming here.
>
> When attempting to request playing one of the defualt
> games provided with msn (all of the 5 given games) nothing
> happens, on my screen or otherwise.
>
> When I accept a friends request to play a game, shortly
> after the blue screen comes up with useless buttons that
> don't work, I get an error message that reads as follows:
>
> "Internet explorer script error
> An error has occured on the script on this page

Try the jscript update suggested here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q236/8...

Download problems
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#f...

Heartbeat was updated just a few days ago.. If that caused your
problem, one of these might help:

Open Internet Options, click General tab, Settings, View Objects, and
look for Heartbeat. If there are two of them, remove the older one,
then right-click the new one, click Repair.

Also, I have a couple of tools at the bottom of my home page. You might
try them.

http://members.iglou.com/elmogeek/

Also look at this sits:

Heartbeat movie
http://zonesysops.com/clips/heartbeat.html

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address if you email me.
August 3, 2004 11:15:12 AM

Jill,

If you are still having trouble after Elmo's 2nd post suggestions.. visit
http://zone.msn.com and try playing any of the single player games to see if
any of them work for you. For example:
http://zone.msn.com/en/hexic/default.htm
http://zone.msn.com/en/rumblecube/default.htm
http://zone.msn.com/en/bespelled/default.htm

Like MSN Messenger games, the single player games also need
Java/Shockwave/Flash/Active X.

If the single player games do not work, post here which ones you tried and
what happened (error messages, blank screen, white screen, black screen
etc.) that might give us more info into exactly what is preventing you from
playing.

Also, the zone pages should prompt you to update or download a shockwave or
flash control or other item you need, which won't happen via MSN Messenger.

Best Wishes,

+_Godiva
MSN Games at Zone.com
Technical Committee

"+Elmo_Tech" <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote in message
> Jill wrote:
> >
> > okay, because i've tried two places and I got diddly squat
> > for help with this from them I'm coming here.
> >
> > When attempting to request playing one of the defualt
> > games provided with msn (all of the 5 given games) nothing
> > happens, on my screen or otherwise.
> >
> > When I accept a friends request to play a game, shortly
> > after the blue screen comes up with useless buttons that
> > don't work, I get an error message that reads as follows:
> >
> > "Internet explorer script error
> > An error has occured on the script on this page
>
> Try the jscript update suggested here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q236/8...
>
> Download problems
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#f...
>
> Heartbeat was updated just a few days ago.. If that caused your
> problem, one of these might help:
>
> Open Internet Options, click General tab, Settings, View Objects, and
> look for Heartbeat. If there are two of them, remove the older one,
> then right-click the new one, click Repair.
>
> Also, I have a couple of tools at the bottom of my home page. You might
> try them.
>
> http://members.iglou.com/elmogeek/
>
> Also look at this sits:
>
> Heartbeat movie
> http://zonesysops.com/clips/heartbeat.html
>
> --
>
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming ZoneT - Technical Support
>
> Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address if you email me.
August 3, 2004 4:49:27 PM

the single player games do work, with no problems, no
prompts(because i already have flash and stuff like that
downloaded and installed) but the msn messenger games
still do not work. As I have said before, when I click on
one of the msn messenger game links to invite a friend to
play, nothing happens. when I accept an invitation to play
from a friend, I get the error message I posted previously.

and I don't know what 'Heartbeat' is for I do not have it
installed, nor do I have a link to it and nor am I
interested, but I thank you for trying elmo.

I'm still having my problems, is there anything else that
may work that I don't have to wipe my hard drive for?
Anonymous
August 3, 2004 8:04:40 PM

Jill wrote:

> the single player games do work, with no problems, no
> prompts(because i already have flash and stuff like that
> downloaded and installed) but the msn messenger games
> still do not work. As I have said before, when I click on
> one of the msn messenger game links to invite a friend to
> play, nothing happens. when I accept an invitation to play
> from a friend, I get the error message I posted previously.
>
> and I don't know what 'Heartbeat' is for I do not have it
> installed, nor do I have a link to it and nor am I
> interested, but I thank you for trying elmo.
>
> I'm still having my problems, is there anything else that
> may work that I don't have to wipe my hard drive for?

Did you add a firewall? Did you get DSL or cable recently? If so, a
firewall or router could be blocking ports needed to communicate.

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address if you email me.
August 3, 2004 10:00:04 PM

The error messages in Messenger, leave much to be desired. At least at
zone.com when a launch fails due to ports, you get a failed to connect,
failed to launch or failed to detect <game> error message. I've sent a
zalert notice to zMaster regarding Jill's error. May take 48+ hours to get a
reply. Hopefully, as a longer term improvement of service, some new,
informative, error messages can be added, as well.

ps. Elmo, the following MS KB page related to zone ports is gone.

> Jill wrote:
> >
> > the single player games do work, with no problems, no
> > prompts(because i already have flash and stuff like that
> > downloaded and installed) but the msn messenger games
> > still do not work. As I have said before, when I click on
> > one of the msn messenger game links to invite a friend to
> > play, nothing happens. when I accept an invitation to play
> > from a friend, I get the error message I posted previously.
> >
> > and I don't know what 'Heartbeat' is for I do not have it
> > installed, nor do I have a link to it and nor am I
> > interested, but I thank you for trying elmo.
> >
> > I'm still having my problems, is there anything else that
> > may work that I don't have to wipe my hard drive for?
>
> Did you add a firewall? Did you get DSL or cable recently? If so, a
> firewall or router could be blocking ports needed to communicate.
>
> --
>
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming ZoneT - Technical Support
>
> Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address if you email me.
August 4, 2004 1:00:27 AM

Hi Jill,

I received the following information in reply:

The error indicates an error running one of the game library files included
with the messenger installation (either missing or corrupted). The suggested
solution would be to uninstall MSN messenger and reinstall it or simply
re-run the installation file and select the repair option. to do the latter
it may be necessary to download the installation file to the users hard
drive then open the file to get the installation running.
If that doesn't correct the problem try reinstalling and/or updating the
macromedia flash web components.

Note: It is suggested that you disable any antivirus programs when
uninstalling or reinstalling MSN Messenger. Sometime an antivirus program
can prevent a program from properly installing.

Also, if you check in IE, tools -->Internet Options---> under temporary
internet file, click settings --> view objects. In the downloaded programs
folder you will see active X components for the games. (example, Solitare
Showdown Class) If any component looks like

{F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF}

it is corrupted and needs to be removed. You can right click a file and
choose properties to see if the Active X Control indicates a codebase of
http://messenger.zone.msn.com. This will tell you if the active X is related
to MSN Messenger Games or another program you may have installed. To remove
a corrupted Active X Component, right click the file and choose delete from
the menu. Uninstall/reinstall Messenger. If you find a corrupted Active X
related to another program you have installed, you will need to check your
help/documentation related to that program for instructions.

Best Wishes,

+_Godiva
MSN Games at Zone.com
Technical Committee

"Godiva" <contactOBVIOUS@zonetechs.com> wrote in message

> The error messages in Messenger, leave much to be desired. At least at
> zone.com when a launch fails due to ports, you get a failed to connect,
> failed to launch or failed to detect <game> error message. I've sent a
> zalert notice to zMaster regarding Jill's error. May take 48+ hours to get
> reply. Hopefully, as a longer term improvement of service, some new,
> informative, error messages can be added, as well.

> ps. Elmo, the following MS KB page related to zone ports is gone.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q159031
>
> +_Godiva
> MSN Games at Zone.com
> Technical Committee
>
> "+Elmo_Tech" <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote in message
> > Jill wrote:
> > >
> > > the single player games do work, with no problems, no
> > > prompts(because i already have flash and stuff like that
> > > downloaded and installed) but the msn messenger games
> > > still do not work. As I have said before, when I click on
> > > one of the msn messenger game links to invite a friend to
> > > play, nothing happens. when I accept an invitation to play
> > > from a friend, I get the error message I posted previously.
> > >
> > > and I don't know what 'Heartbeat' is for I do not have it
> > > installed, nor do I have a link to it and nor am I
> > > interested, but I thank you for trying elmo.
> > >
> > > I'm still having my problems, is there anything else that
> > > may work that I don't have to wipe my hard drive for?
> >
> > Did you add a firewall? Did you get DSL or cable recently? If so, a
> > firewall or router could be blocking ports needed to communicate.
> >
> > --
> >
> > +Elmo_Tech
> > MSN® Gaming ZoneT - Technical Support
> >
> > Add clvck to the subject line and correct my address if you email me.

Anonymous
August 4, 2004 12:07:01 PM

Godiva wrote:

> Hi Jill,
>
> I received the following information in reply:
>
> The error indicates an error running one of the game library files included
> with the messenger installation (either missing or corrupted). The suggested
> solution would be to uninstall MSN messenger and reinstall it or simply
> re-run the installation file and select the repair option. to do the latter
> it may be necessary to download the installation file to the users hard
> drive then open the file to get the installation running.
> If that doesn't correct the problem try reinstalling and/or updating the
> macromedia flash web components.
>
> Note: It is suggested that you disable any antivirus programs when
> uninstalling or reinstalling MSN Messenger. Sometime an antivirus program
> can prevent a program from properly installing.
>
> Also, if you check in IE, tools -->Internet Options---> under temporary
> internet file, click settings --> view objects. In the downloaded programs
> folder you will see active X components for the games. (example, Solitare
> Showdown Class) If any component looks like
>
> {F6BF0D00-0B2A-4A75-BF7B-F385591623AF}
>
> it is corrupted and needs to be removed. You can right click a file and
> choose properties to see if the Active X Control indicates a codebase of
> http://messenger.zone.msn.com. This will tell you if the active X is related
> to MSN Messenger Games or another program you may have installed. To remove
> a corrupted Active X Component, right click the file and choose delete from
> the menu. Uninstall/reinstall Messenger. If you find a corrupted Active X
> related to another program you have installed, you will need to check your
> help/documentation related to that program for instructions.
>
> Best Wishes,

> +_Godiva
> MSN Games at Zone.com
> Technical Committee
>
> "Godiva" <contactOBVIOUS@zonetechs.com> wrote in message
>
> > The error messages in Messenger, leave much to be desired. At least at
> > zone.com when a launch fails due to ports, you get a failed to connect,
> > failed to launch or failed to detect <game> error message. I've sent a
> > zalert notice to zMaster regarding Jill's error. May take 48+ hours to get
> > reply. Hopefully, as a longer term improvement of service, some new,
> > informative, error messages can be added, as well.

> > ps. Elmo, the following MS KB page related to zone ports is gone.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q159031
> >
> > +_Godiva
> > MSN Games at Zone.com
> > Technical Committee
> >
> > "+Elmo_Tech" <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote in message

> > > Did you add a firewall? Did you get DSL or cable recently? If so, a
> > > firewall or router could be blocking ports needed to communicate.

So, with MSNM the Heartbeat component is replaced by ActiveX components
for individual games? That would explain why there was no Heartbeat, I
suppose.

Thanks for the info Godiva; I hope this helps Jill.

--

+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
August 4, 2004 9:02:11 PM

Right Elmo, the Messenger Games are not like the zone.com games nor use the
heartbeat (similarly, they do use active X ctrls). With Jill's issue, the
error message points to messenger.zone.msn.com because the zone programmers
wrote the games for messenger and the help/error messages are held on the
zone servers but this is really an MSN messenger problem.

The en-ca in the url is a reference to the local IE language setting (so the
error message is in the selected native language of the user) and nothing to
do with any sort of regional connection.

Testing the zone.com single player games will tell you if their
flash/shockwave is operational, but the individual Messenger Games use their
own class (activeX) file. Messenger loads a web page into its console also,
so IE permission settings apply in regard to Javascript and activeX, as well
as passport authentication. The premium Messenger Games use a subscription
authentication system similar to Bridge Club and Asheron's Call, but not
part of zone.com.

Because the messenger games are relatively new, they don't have 50 MS KB
pages for smaller issues like all the zone.com games do, unfortunately. If
you come across any messenger issues and want to draft a KB for them, you
can send them to zMaster and they will be forwarded to the MS/MSN folks for
review and prop.

The above info is a synopsis from Dale, zMaster, MSN and myself

Happy Teching,

..

> [...]
connect,
> > > failed to launch or failed to detect <game> error message. I've sent a
> > > zalert notice to zMaster regarding Jill's error. May take 48+ hours to
get
> > > reply. Hopefully, as a longer term improvement of service, some new,
> > > informative, error messages can be added, as well.

> > > ps. Elmo, the following MS KB page related to zone ports is gone.
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q159031
> > >
> > > +_Godiva
> > > MSN Games at Zone.com
> > > Technical Committee
> > >
> > > "+Elmo_Tech" <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote in message

> So, with MSNM the Heartbeat component is replaced by ActiveX components
> for individual games? That would explain why there was no Heartbeat, I
> suppose.
>
> Thanks for the info Godiva; I hope this helps Jill.

August 4, 2004 9:27:11 PM

Elmo,
This is a list of known issues they are working to resolve. You may come
across some of them in the meantime.
http://messenger.msn.com/Help/Issues.aspx

> [...]
connect,
> > > failed to launch or failed to detect <game> error message. I've sent a
> > > zalert notice to zMaster regarding Jill's error. May take 48+ hours to
get
> > > reply. Hopefully, as a longer term improvement of service, some new,
> > > informative, error messages can be added, as well.

> > > ps. Elmo, the following MS KB page related to zone ports is gone.
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q159031
> > >
> > > +_Godiva
> > > MSN Games at Zone.com
> > > Technical Committee
> > >
> > > "+Elmo_Tech" <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> wrote in message

> So, with MSNM the Heartbeat component is replaced by ActiveX components
> for individual games? That would explain why there was no Heartbeat, I
> suppose.
>
> Thanks for the info Godiva; I hope this helps Jill.

August 8, 2004 2:43:28 PM

i have no firewall and I run on low speed cable internet,
it's never interrupted anything before, why would it now?
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 2:46:57 PM

I thank you for your help G, but I had sent zmaster an e-
mail myself, but I got a list of questions with answers
from him that didn't concern my question/error whatsoever!
~Jill

(P.S. sry elmo, i forgot to put my name/e-mail in the
latest reply ^^*)
Anonymous
August 8, 2004 2:55:23 PM

THANK YOU! I tried the 'repair' and it works now, thank
you so much Godiva.

~Jill
August 10, 2004 9:58:15 PM

You're very welcome :)  Thank you too, because of your problem/questions, I
was able to learn new things and share that info with Elmo and other techs.

For MSN related problems, this link will take you to the right contact.
http://support.msn.com/contactus.aspx
For issues specific to MSN Messenger, use:
http://support.msn.com/contactus.aspx?productkey=messen...

You may still receive an autoresponse, however, it should be more directly
related to your actual problem. The zMaster email only sends info directly
related to zone.com games that appear on the website.

Have fun!

"~jill" <dragontalon87@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I thank you for your help G, but I had sent zmaster an e-
> mail myself, but I got a list of questions with answers
> from him that didn't concern my question/error whatsoever!
> ~Jill
>
> (P.S. sry elmo, i forgot to put my name/e-mail in the
> latest reply ^^*)
Anonymous
February 11, 2009 2:49:46 PM

hana :bounce:  :)