Pinball parts suppliers

I just sent off my first ever check for pinball parts... had a bit of
sticker shock when I found out what the total was. Not too much of a
shock, but enough of one. I checked around, and I don't think I was
ripped off-- I just wasn't expecting how much it comes to when you buy
*that many* switches at a time. Plus all the other basic stuff a
first-timer needs.

But I was wondering-- those of you who work on pins: how do you feel
about the different suppliers out there? Price? Variety of parts
availible? Amount of TLC they give you?

i think all are pretty fair in prices and ship items in a timely
fashion. i have no complaints. if you treat them good they will in
return is what i have learned.

Terry at PBL is great for supplies and parts...

www.pinballlife.com

Andrew

Boyd Bottorff wrote:
> I just sent off my first ever check for pinball parts... had a bit of
> sticker shock when I found out what the total was. Not too much of a
> shock, but enough of one. I checked around, and I don't think I was
> ripped off-- I just wasn't expecting how much it comes to when you buy
> *that many* switches at a time. Plus all the other basic stuff a
> first-timer needs.
>
> But I was wondering-- those of you who work on pins: how do you feel
> about the different suppliers out there? Price? Variety of parts
> availible? Amount of TLC they give you?

Hi Boyd

I order a lot of pin parts, and there is some sticker shock - most of the
little stuff is not expensive alone, but then you order a bunch of little
items and get a huge bill. Been there, done that. My last PBR order had at
least $50 worth of fuses on it :) I bought 2 project WPC pins and every last
fuse had been stripped out of the game.

I spread my orders out a lot, though. I've had excellent luck with all the
suppliers I've used. That's almost a necessity anymore, as if you're looking
for something unusual at all, you're gonna have to try a lot of places. I
ordered parts for these projects from Marco, BAA, PBR and a couple other
sources.

PBR is great. Huge variety, always very competitively priced. The 10% off
orders of $100 or more is very helpful. I try to always make sure I get over
$100 on every order. Steve seems to have an excellent stock of game specific
parts. Folks often say Steve is grouchy, I don't share that opinion, but I
do my dangdest to have part #'s and place my orders through e-mail. I'd
rather send an e-mail than call an order in anyways. Easier.

BAA is great, too. BAA and Marco are tied for the best online store. Prices
are fairly good, and the stuff gets here *quick*. I like the fact that BAA
will ship First Class, I've often ordered a small part and didn't need it in
a hurry, so I selected First Class. Cost was around 2 bucks, and the items
seemed to get here almost as quick as if I'd selected priority! BAA seems to
have the best prices on star posts and bridge rectifiers.

Marco has a great online store, as I mentioned above. The biggest complaint
I have is their fixed shipping charge - often makes them very expensive on
small items - but I'm not really gonna complain about that - it's just like
anywhere else, try to order enough stuff together to divide the shipping
charge amongst numerous items. Their flat rate is very clearly stated on
their site.

Pinball Life is very fast to ship, too. Very basic website, but mine is even
more basic :) I can't see how I can beat their price on rings, Suzo and Wico
are higher, been awhile since I checked Happ. My stockpile is running low,
and I need some rings, so I'll be ordering a bunch from Pinball Life soon!
Probably some bulbs, too. Terry is a nice guy, and always confirms your
order with a nice e-mail, which is a pleasant added touch. The way Terry
charges shipping (based on $$ amount spent, not weight) can be a pain, but I
guess it could be beneficial if you're ordering a bunch of coin doors and
legs.. so again, it's a matter of planning out ones order.

Dave at FAO is a super nice guy and often has some hard to find parts as
well. Dave's gotten some hard to find parts out of Stern for me in the past,
and I don't send as much business his way as I could.

It's been awhile since I ordered from Centsible Amusements, but Centsible
always has low prices, ships relatively quick and provides excellent
customer service. I think I placed my first ever order of pin parts with
Centsible, the guy at Centsible was patient enough to teach me how to get
the lockdown bar off my first pin and lift the playfield :)

DMS used to be a good source for game specific stuff, but the business
doesn't seem to be a priority for the owner anymore. I know he's had some
tough times in life in the last year and I hope things are going well for
him.

Great Plains Electronics is a great resource for transistors, high voltage
rebuild kits for WPC games, and other pinball related electronic goodies.
Could I whip out my Jameco or Digikey catalog and save a few cents? Perhaps,
but it's so easy dealing with Ed, I don't typically bother. Ed has been very
helpful with advice on tools and parts.

And of course, there are some great folks out there who make custom products
or offer speical services, such as the artisan of stainless steel, Cliffy.

Lotsa great folks to deal with in this hobby... all sharing the same twisted
sickness :)

Now if I could just find enough parts to save this 2nd I500, I'd be as happy
as a cold pig in warm mud :)

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

Boyd Bottorff wrote:
> But I was wondering-- those of you who work on pins: how do you feel
> about the different suppliers out there? Price? Variety of parts
> availible? Amount of TLC they give you?

I'm a little bit biased towards Pinball Life, mainly because he's a
member of CPM so when I need parts he just brings them to the next
meeting. ;)

Of course, he also owns a Ripleys and defends it, so I don't know if
you can really TRUST him. :))))

Personally, though, if Terry doesn't have it I'll try Dave @ FAO, then
BAA. Between those three, I can usually get all my "daily supplies".

After that, there is a long list of good guys, most of whom John
mentioned so I'll just leave it at that!

I buy my rubber rings, lamps and just about anything Pinball Life
carries through Pinball Life. He has the 3 things I look for as a
buyer... quality, price and fast service. The other reason being Terry
(just a guess here) is a guy running a good busniess out of his home,
and I like to support that type of situation. He kinda' wiped out the
compitition on eBay with best prices, some other good sellers took a
hit there, but other sellers I didn't appreaiciate (newbie hunting
DCheese comes to mind) aren't trying to compete with like items.

zTim

You guys forgot to mention Penn-Ray. Best prices. I can't comment on
their service, as I haven't used them, yet. I was thinking of using
them for my next 'order'.

Gregg B.

Yep! And Kerry Stair at mantisamusements.com
He not only makes awesome protectors and weldments for many games but he
also has other more obscure parts. Not only that but he's just a great guy!
I wanna throw a bone out to Mike at MAD Amusements too. I just hope
things are getting better for him personally so he can get back to
business :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

I just thought I'd throw in my two cents here to endorse Pinball
Resource. I've ordered from there many times, but there were a few
things wrong with my most recent order (one due to me not being
specific enough). Not only did they ship out the replacement quickly,
but they threw in a switch I needed and a few boxes of bulbs for free.
Tough to beat!

Aaron,

Don't forget Steve is such a pleasure to talk to and deal with. His
customer service skills are second to none. What a load of bullshit
those statements are. PBR ship's quick and ship's before payment but
I'd rather buy from the likes of Ray, Terry, Marc, Billy-Ray, Happ, and
the rest of the suppliers who show that they weren't raised by wolves.
PBR has positives and negitives for sure but I have never been chewed
out by anyone but Steve Young. That must be because I am a crybaby
idiot who knows less then him about pinball. Support people like the
ones I have listed and don't buy from PBR. Steve might adjust his
shitty attitude if his business flounders, probably not but maybe.

Chris Kruger

Really?! Geez that's not the Steve Young I know! In fact I've been going
back and forth with him on some parts for several games at once and he
is far better at keeping what parts go with what than I do. And he's
happy to share the knowledge with me. Yeah if he's in a crunch he'll let
you know it by being short and gruff but most times he's good about
taking care of the people that take care of him. Best is to email him if
you can't handle him live and in person :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

We carry a lot of stuff and I think we're pretty competitive and give good
customer service. www.actionpinball.com

You may want to check archived newsgroup posts on www.google.com if you are
looking for any feedback on particular dealers. Good source of info.

Hope that helps!

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"Boyd Bottorff" <bbottorff@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I just sent off my first ever check for pinball parts... had a bit of
> sticker shock when I found out what the total was. Not too much of a
> shock, but enough of one. I checked around, and I don't think I was
> ripped off-- I just wasn't expecting how much it comes to when you buy
> *that many* switches at a time. Plus all the other basic stuff a
> first-timer needs.
>
> But I was wondering-- those of you who work on pins: how do you feel
> about the different suppliers out there? Price? Variety of parts
> availible? Amount of TLC they give you?

Ray I feel like a heel for not metioning you! Better help and tech
knowledge you will never find. Ray is da man!

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I have to agree with Chris K on this, I've ordered twice from PBR and
twice the guy has been a total ass about it. He always has what I need,
but every time it's like hes doing me a great favor of great
inconvinience to him. I'm sticking to pinball life and BAA, those guys
have been really good to me.

MD

There are quite a few parts houses out there, and based on the shopping
around I've done, prices can vary widely. I always go with a sure
thing, no matter the setting. Action Pinball fits that bill. Sure,
their prices are sometimes a tad higher than some of the other houses
out there, but I have NEVER had an order wrong or late with Ray. I'd
rather pay the extra than wonder if my shipment is coming and when.
Plus, I believe in supporting a business that does good work. I have
bought from other places such as Marco and I've had good luck. Really,
of the places mentioned here by the other folks, you can't go wrong. My
vote is for Action Pinball.

Hands down.

Mike

While we are giving plugs for great service I thought I would mention
my experience from an Aussies point of view. I have had excellent
service from the following and would not hesitate to order from these
people again.

BAA - most of my orders are from Rick due to the very easy ordering
system and extremely fast shipping - just too easy really.

Pinball Life - Terry is a nice bloke, great prices and fast shipping
too.

FAO - Dave is a pleasure to deal with, fast shipping and packages the
gear so it is bomb proof.

Duke of Pinball - Mike gives you great service, top bloke and even
sends photos of your package before it is sent.

Action Pinball - I don't think Ray gets enough of a mention on here and
I don't know why. Everything about the service Ray gives is great and
is a fine person too.

PinRestore - I have had several great dealings with Scot. Perfect
customer service and a pleasure to talk to.

Mad Amusements - Very helpful fella. Shipping was a bit slow but he had
some dramas happening at the time so I would definitely use him again.

Treasure Cove - Alan is an honest bloke and very helpful too. Ships
fast too.

Orbit Pinball - Great products and I found Frank very friendly. Ships
fast.

Great Plains Electronics - Only a small order but Ed was fantastic.

I have also ordered from Pinball Inc and Pinball Pro with no problems
at all. Very good.

Hmmm not many Aussie suppliers in amongst that lot.

Dave

I wouldnt worry about the sticker shock. Just worry about it when Steve
tells you to send in smaller orders next time. He doesnt like $600+
orders :) Dont ask me how I know ?

bbottorff@nomail.com (Boyd Bottorff) writes:

> But I was wondering-- those of you who work on pins: how do you feel
> about the different suppliers out there? Price? Variety of parts
> availible? Amount of TLC they give you?

For people in Europe (and even elsewhere) a really great supplier is
Parts4Pinballs at http://www.parts4pinballs.com/ . Great web shop,
very helpful staff, and the prices generally range from good to great.

--
Oyvind Moll - oyvind@moll.no - http://www.moll.no/pinball/

"Multi-Machine Pinball Parts Search" - http://www.moll.no/pinball/parts

I guess you've never ordered protectors from me, Dave. I have a great
customer base in Oz and NZ, mostly due to not only a fantastic product
but fast shipping too :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

This is so cool!

Before PinRestore I didn't have any friends in Australia. It has been
well worth the long hours I've spent on the business for that fact
alone.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

I haven't bought anything from you yet Cliffy but based on your
reputation I would not hesitate buying from you either. I have never
bought anything from Marco or John Wart jr either but same goes them
too.

Dave

Cliffy wrote:
> I guess you've never ordered protectors from me, Dave. I have a great
> customer base in Oz and NZ, mostly due to not only a fantastic product
> but fast shipping too :)
>
> Loosey wrote:
> > While we are giving plugs for great service I thought I would mention
> > my experience from an Aussies point of view. I have had excellent
> > service from the following and would not hesitate to order from these
> > people again.
> >
> > BAA - most of my orders are from Rick due to the very easy ordering
> > system and extremely fast shipping - just too easy really.
> >
> > Pinball Life - Terry is a nice bloke, great prices and fast shipping
> > too.
> >
> > FAO - Dave is a pleasure to deal with, fast shipping and packages the
> > gear so it is bomb proof.
> >
> > Duke of Pinball - Mike gives you great service, top bloke and even
> > sends photos of your package before it is sent.
> >
> > Action Pinball - I don't think Ray gets enough of a mention on here and
> > I don't know why. Everything about the service Ray gives is great and
> > is a fine person too.
> >
> > PinRestore - I have had several great dealings with Scot. Perfect
> > customer service and a pleasure to talk to.
> >
> > Mad Amusements - Very helpful fella. Shipping was a bit slow but he had
> > some dramas happening at the time so I would definitely use him again.
> >
> > Treasure Cove - Alan is an honest bloke and very helpful too. Ships
> > fast too.
> >
> > Orbit Pinball - Great products and I found Frank very friendly. Ships
> > fast.
> >
> > Great Plains Electronics - Only a small order but Ed was fantastic.
> >
> > I have also ordered from Pinball Inc and Pinball Pro with no problems
> > at all. Very good.
> >
> > Hmmm not many Aussie suppliers in amongst that lot.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> --
> Cliffy - CARGPB2
> A passion for pinball!
> http://www.passionforpinball.com

Yes, Cliffy does great work and is very fast. He made up and shipped a
set of protectors for me practically overnight! ....and the fit was
perfect of course.
Terry.
CARGPB25