XP v. Win2k on New Dell

My new Dell offered me two choices of MS OS - Win ZP or XP Pro. I've
been using Win2k since it before it was released. I have no experience
with XP. I ordered the XP Pro set up.

Am I going to regret XP Pro? Is it an improvement over Win2k? What's
better, worse, or significantly different?

Thanks!

Harry Krause wrote:
> My new Dell offered me two choices of MS OS - Win ZP or XP Pro. I've
> been using Win2k since it before it was released. I have no experience
> with XP. I ordered the XP Pro set up.
>
> Am I going to regret XP Pro? Is it an improvement over Win2k? What's
> better, worse, or significantly different?
>
> Thanks!

Windows XP Pro is just another version of Windows NT 4.0,
assuming that Windows 2000 is Windows NT 4.0/SP7 or, in
another way, Windows NT 5.0. Windows XP Pro is also seen
as Windows NT 5.1. If the desktop seems daunting, one can
always configure it in the "classic" way to have the look
and feel of Windows 2000. Should be OK.

"Harry Krause" <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My new Dell offered me two choices of MS OS - Win ZP or XP Pro. I've
> been using Win2k since it before it was released. I have no experience
> with XP. I ordered the XP Pro set up.
>
> Am I going to regret XP Pro? Is it an improvement over Win2k? What's
> better, worse, or significantly different?
>
> Thanks!

You'll love it. Switch the GUI to "classic view" and it will look much like
the Win2K you know and love.

Add to that system restore features, msconfig, much easier/friendlier
networking features - you'll be a happy camper. ( I used Win2K all the way
up to SP4 for about 2.5 years total prior to XP Pro).

Stew

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/top10.mspx

Harry Krause wrote:
> My new Dell offered me two choices of MS OS - Win ZP or XP Pro. I've
> been using Win2k since it before it was released. I have no experience
> with XP. I ordered the XP Pro set up.

I made the same switch a little over a year ago (loved W2K, BTW) and am
very happy with XP Pro. It's as stable as W2K and I've customized it so
I'm happy with it, i.e., killed active desktop, use classic Windows
folders, etc. TweakUI is your friend.

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Harry Krause" <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My new Dell offered me two choices of MS OS - Win ZP or XP Pro. I've
>> been using Win2k since it before it was released. I have no experience
>> with XP. I ordered the XP Pro set up.
>>
>> Am I going to regret XP Pro? Is it an improvement over Win2k? What's
>> better, worse, or significantly different?
>>
>> Thanks!
>

> You'll love it. Switch the GUI to "classic view" and it will look much like
> the Win2K you know and love.
>
> Add to that system restore features, msconfig, much easier/friendlier
> networking features - you'll be a happy camper. ( I used Win2K all the way
> up to SP4 for about 2.5 years total prior to XP Pro).
>

> Stew

Thanks, guys...

In article <2jergnF10qd8kU3@uni-berlin.de>, Harry Krause <piedtypecase@yahoo.com> wrote:
>My new Dell offered me two choices of MS OS - Win ZP or XP Pro. I've
>been using Win2k since it before it was released. I have no experience
>with XP. I ordered the XP Pro set up.

Just did the same myself this morning. Am confident (well, hopeful :)
that I won't regret it. Mind you, it's only got to be better than
WinME to keep me *really* happy. ;-)

>Am I going to regret XP Pro? Is it an improvement over Win2k? What's
>better, worse, or significantly different?

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

TRENDING THREADS