Lesson Learned: Do parts research BEFORE you buy a game...

Got an Earthshaker tonight and I've now realized the following:

Spiral ramp: Huge hole, repro's don't exist.
Slingshot plastics: difficult to find.
Target decals: difficult to find.
Cabinet decals: don't exist.

Please let me know if any of the above are available and I am just not
looking in the right places.

nomad
20 answers Last reply
More about lesson learned parts research game

    You know it's possible to play and enjoy a game when it's just 'fixed'
    and functional, and not in 'mint nib' condition ?

    Cabinet decals ? Who cares..
    Target decals.. who cares, as long as the targets work..
    Slingshot plastics ? same thing.. as long as something is on there and
    it doesn't look too bad.. and if it does then repro the plastics
    yoruself.
    Hole in ramp ? can be fixed, glue a piece of plastic over it, even use
    duck tape if you have to.

    OK if you paid too much for it considering its condition and if you
    have a collection of only mint games and don't want anything else, then
    you have a problem..
    Else, just fix it up as good as you can, play and enjoy the game..
    And if you ever want to sell it, you'll find probably someone locally
    who doesn't need a mint game.

    Aeneas
    --http://www.flippers.be

    I am not a "mint and anal game guy" but come on there are certain
    things that must be fixed. I've never cared too much about cabinet
    condition but when it's dis-colored and peeling off?? And you like
    looking at plain black drop targets? I've never tried to make plastics,
    maybe now is a good time to try. And fix a hole in a ramp with duct
    tape? Surely you are joking here right? You're not an operator are you?

    nomad

    The duct tape was more of a joke yes, but was to illustrate that even
    'bad repair jobs' can make a game functional again.

    If you have a spare ramp then cut out a piece and try to superglue it
    (with a spray can of 'activator' which will fill small holes).
    A friend of mine fixed a hole by cutting a piece of a pet-bottle, put
    it on the ramp and heated it with a hair-dryer until both parts melted
    into each other.. sounds dangerous to me and I haven't seen it but he
    said it came out well.. guess you'd better practise this first on a
    spare ramp.
    Anyway there are a lot of methods to repair a ramp so you can play the
    game again.
    But if you have no experience or don't want to try them then a piece of
    duct tape can be enough :)

    If you posted that i.e. the fault assy and ramps were missing as an
    example of a lesson learned, ok then, because these things are probably
    hard to find and then in the end you may have no other option than to
    part out the game because you can't play it.

    But if it works and only cosmetic parts are wrong with it, you can do a
    lot if you're a bit creative.

    Aeneas.
    --http://www.flippers.be

    I am not familiar with Earthshaker but Pinball Inc does a repro ramp
    for Earthshaker but it is probably not the one you want. Personally, I
    think doing research on the parts available for a particular game is a
    good idea if you wish to restore it.

    Dave

    Agree with another poster. For the most part, the things you have
    mentioned are not a big deal assuming you paid a fair price. The spiral
    ramp is frequently blown out. I had 2 Earthshakers over the years, both
    required repair work to the spiral ramp.

    Use google. I recall someone mentioned a product to fix holes in ramps.
    I bookmarked the site they mentioned:
    http://www.urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.html, but cann't recall
    the poster.

    Good luck!
    Duane

    Thanks, Iooked there briefly but your part #'s really helped.

    nomad

    Slingshot plastics and target decals:

    www.marcospec.com - part #31-1006-568-SS and #31-1463-568
    (or do an erthshaker search)

    The cabinet is not a decal like the newer machines and is silkscreened right
    to the cabinet.

    Keep an eye on Ebay or the group for a used spiral ramp, they come up from
    time to time.

    Skeets

    Nope, the one I need (and apparently everybody else) is the spiral one
    but thanks for looking.

    nomad

    Always a good idea to research a little first. Especially if you're
    not familiar with the game in question. I like to browse both here and
    the pinball databases for info.

    - Q

    <<And fix a hole in a ramp with duct
    tape? Surely you are joking here right? You're not an operator are you?

    You, sir, have just insulted the bad name of operators everywhere, who
    would of course have fixed the hole in question with a freshly-chewed
    wad of Wrigley's Spearmint!

    LOL Frenchy !!!

    I've seen worse !!!

    Pin-Del, =)

    "Aeneas Verhe" wrote:
    > Cabinet decals ? Who cares..
    > Target decals.. who cares, as long as the targets work..
    > Slingshot plastics ? same thing.. as long as something is on there and
    > it doesn't look too bad.. and if it does then repro the plastics
    > yoruself.
    > Hole in ramp ? can be fixed, glue a piece of plastic over it, even use
    > duck tape if you have to.
    <snip>

    Geez Aeneas- if you don't care what your pin looks like, I'd hate to see
    what your car looks like! ;)

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    Hehehe... sounds like a Barrywnj game! (speaking from personal
    experience)

    Good luck finding the parts you need. They turn up time to time, keep
    your eyes on eBay and these other great sellers that were mentioned.

    - Don

    nomad wrote:
    > Got an Earthshaker tonight and I've now realized the following:
    >
    > Spiral ramp: Huge hole, repro's don't exist.
    > Slingshot plastics: difficult to find.
    > Target decals: difficult to find.
    > Cabinet decals: don't exist.
    >
    > Please let me know if any of the above are available and I am just not
    > looking in the right places.
    >
    > nomad

    Earthshaker ramp here,

    http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-ES4&Category_Code=

    "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Got an Earthshaker tonight and I've now realized the following:
    >
    > Spiral ramp: Huge hole, repro's don't exist.
    > Slingshot plastics: difficult to find.
    > Target decals: difficult to find.
    > Cabinet decals: don't exist.
    >
    > Please let me know if any of the above are available and I am just not
    > looking in the right places.
    >
    > nomad

    uh, that might not be the one you are looking for.

    <greatapts@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Use google. I recall someone mentioned a product to fix holes in ramps.
    > I bookmarked the site they mentioned:
    > http://www.urethanesupply.com/plastifixhowto.html, but cann't recall
    I have had good luck fixing small ramp areas with a cheapo fiberglass repair
    kit (~$10). I think I got mine in the automotive section of OSH, they
    should be available just about anywhere though. I will have to try out this
    plastic thing though - it looks neat.

    Andy

    Tell him Aeneas!

    Cars are just for moving pins around, who cares what they look like! ;-)

    (although I do like Ray's new trailer, especially with the rainstorm
    that started just as we were breaking down RMPBS 2005!)

    bogart
    www.pinrestore.com

    Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
    > "Aeneas Verhe" wrote:
    >
    >>Cabinet decals ? Who cares..
    >>Target decals.. who cares, as long as the targets work..
    >>Slingshot plastics ? same thing.. as long as something is on there and
    >>it doesn't look too bad.. and if it does then repro the plastics
    >>yoruself.
    >>Hole in ramp ? can be fixed, glue a piece of plastic over it, even use
    >>duck tape if you have to.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Geez Aeneas- if you don't care what your pin looks like, I'd hate to see
    > what your car looks like! ;)
    >
    > Ray J.
    > --
    > Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    > Salt Lake City, Utah USA
    > Web: www.actionpinball.com
    >
    > We're serious about pinball. Anything else is just for fun!

    Doesn't it?

    "Don" <dlhenson@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hehehe... sounds like a Barrywnj game! (speaking from personal
    > experience)
    >
    > Good luck finding the parts you need. They turn up time to time, keep
    > your eyes on eBay and these other great sellers that were mentioned.
    >
    > - Don
    >
    > nomad wrote:
    >> Got an Earthshaker tonight and I've now realized the following:
    >>
    >> Spiral ramp: Huge hole, repro's don't exist.
    >> Slingshot plastics: difficult to find.
    >> Target decals: difficult to find.
    >> Cabinet decals: don't exist.
    >>
    >> Please let me know if any of the above are available and I am just not
    >> looking in the right places.
    >>
    >> nomad

    Ray: black :-) http://www.flippers.be/images/hh-car.jpg

    Anyway, what I meant to say: yes it's a good idea to check what parts
    are available when you buy a pin.. especially if you want to fix it up
    well.

    But some parts and assemblies are just more important to gameplay than
    others..
    I guess there are very few people that would buy not a pinball machine
    because i.e. slingshot plastics are broken and they are not available ?

    If you have a game then you keep it in the best shape possible.
    But if certain parts are not available, then you just try to fix it so
    you can play it.
    And because some cosmetic flaws exist, the game isn't fun to play or
    not worth playing.

    Earthshaker is a fun game to own, and in the initial post here it
    almost sounded like the buyer really regretted buying it because of a
    few flaws (which most ES have).

    Aeneas

    That would have been me.
    I've rebuilt ramps with that stuff in the past.

    Lee

    Use google. I recall someone mentioned a product to fix holes in ramps.

    I bookmarked the site they mentioned:
    http://www.urethanesupply.com/ plastifixhowto.html, but cann't recall
    the poster.

    Good luck!