LOTR: Is there a definitive list of what adds to the bonus?

I did google for all of my lunch hour and some extra time this morning but I
can't seem to find a definitive list of what increases the bonus, and by how
much, in LOTR. This all came about because I had what is to me a good ball where
I played all 3 multiball modes. I didn't finish any of them but I did end up
with a 23x bonus multiplier. I always try for the Lanes skillshot and expected
something better than the paltry 400,000 or so that I got. My first thought was
I should have been hitting Orthanc instead. So what do I need to shoot for?

Oh, and I take my hat off to Keith again for making such a superb piece of
software. It took me a while to convince myself that the $AU7200 was worth it,
but you know it's got you when you can't stop thinking about the machine at work
and on the train home, and walking to the station, and during dinner...

JC

I think Keith might be the only fellow who has a definitive answer for
this. I know that the bonus score goes up as you collect rings and
advance through the multiball stages but I don't know by how much or
what other things contribute to the bonus score. For instance
*starting* two towers contributes 2,000 points to the bonus.
Completing two towers is around 20,000(?). I played the other day, but
not particularly well, which is why I *distinctly* recall the bonus for
*starting* (but doing jack otherwise) two towers. :p

-JC-

SpamInACan wrote:
> I did google for all of my lunch hour and some extra time this morning but I
> can't seem to find a definitive list of what increases the bonus, and by how
> much, in LOTR. This all came about because I had what is to me a good ball where
> I played all 3 multiball modes. I didn't finish any of them but I did end up
> with a 23x bonus multiplier. I always try for the Lanes skillshot and expected
> something better than the paltry 400,000 or so that I got. My first thought was
> I should have been hitting Orthanc instead. So what do I need to shoot for?
>
> Oh, and I take my hat off to Keith again for making such a superb piece of
> software. It took me a while to convince myself that the $AU7200 was worth it,
> but you know it's got you when you can't stop thinking about the machine at work
> and on the train home, and walking to the station, and during dinner...

The only thing I notice, is that ball 2 has a much higher bonus than
ball 1. It pretty much doesn't seem to matter what your bonus X is in
that game. It can be 32x and your bonus will be 900,000 it seems.
I also think that the 'lanes' skill shot is pretty much a complete
waste of time, unless, you are going for Boromir.
The bonus is pointless unless you have a 100,000,000 ball, then it gets
up there, but hardly.

O-R-C lanes - Three rollover lanes above the jet bumpers. Completing
O-R-C increases the bonus multiplier. Lit lanes can be rotated with the
flippers. The skill shot gives you 3X or 5X right away but it is hardly
worth the effort imho when real points can be made with the second skill
shot the Tower - plunge a bit stronger to drop the ball into Orthanc.
This awards 250K plus 50K for each successive made tower skillshot. Also
good
for a free trip to the PotD to collect souls which in turn leads to a
multi-ball, which means you get to shoot more balls, which increases the
skill shot, and on and on and on...

Drop the ball in the tower, collect your skill shot points, collect
souls, collect keep letter when ball is sent to right flipper, shoot
right ramp for Aragorn, collect keep letter on in lane rollover, shoot
center ramp for Frodo, collect keep letter on in lane rollover, shoot
inner orbit for Gandalf, then when ball returns to right flipper shoot
left ramp for Legolas, collect last keep letter to light lock, then lock
the ball using the right ramp. Shoot the skill shot again, collect
souls, hit right vuk for Gimli, then left orbit for Pippen, when ball
returns to right flipper shoot Sam on the left side, collect keep letter
then shoot right orbit for Merry. Shoot for the bumpers or use the
Palantir target to collect Boromir and you're off and running on the
multi-ball train!

It frightens me to know all that off the top of my head since I don't
own the machine but I do drive 30 miles to play it!

TBK = The Biggest Kid
Looking for pin tourneys in So. Cal

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

cah

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2005

SpamInACan wrote:
> Yeah maybe Keith is the only one with the definitive answer. Thanks to everyone
> who replied. Man I love this game.

Of course *anyone* could take the glass off and "experiment".....

> [...]

>> much, in LOTR. This all came about because I had what is to me a good ball
>> where
>> I played all 3 multiball modes. I didn't finish any of them but I did end up
>> with a 23x bonus multiplier. I always try for the Lanes skillshot and
>> expected
>> something better than the paltry 400,000 or so that I got. My first thought
>> was
>> I should have been hitting Orthanc instead. So what do I need to shoot for?
>>
>> Oh, and I take my hat off to Keith again for making such a superb piece of
>> software. It took me a while to convince myself that the $AU7200 was worth
>> it,
>> but you know it's got you when you can't stop thinking about the machine at
>> work
>> and on the train home, and walking to the station, and during dinner...

Sorry for the late reply, I've been in Italy.

The first number you see in bonus is basically an amount for each
switch you hit during the ball. Then the rings get added to this
number. This total (switches + rings) is then multiplied. Then you
add the ball-specific movie bonus. On normal 3-ball settings, ball 1
gives you a bonus for your progress on FOTR multiball, ball 2 gives
you a bonus for your progress on TTT multiball, and ball 3 scores for
ROTK progress. The value for each of these can be 25K (no progress)
to 5M (completed). This may or may not affect your strategies
depending on whether you think this is a significant enough sum to
shoot for. Extra balls award the same movie as the ball they were
earned on. Other # balls per game try to even out the bonus as much
as possible (5-ball is, IIRC, FOTR/FOTR/TTT/TTT/ROTK).

keith
--
At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
Maybe someday they'll return...

Oh man does that help. I've always been trying to figure out the bonus
rules. Ball 1, nail TTT, complete it, EOBB: 800K. heh.

--Eric

So if I understand this correctly...

If you dont complete FOTR on your first ball, you will not get the
added "Bonus" score for it. ie: if I dont get FOTR going until ball 2
I am SOL for FOTR bonus points?

So when Keith says this may effect our strategy he means that we may
want to go for FOTR first, TTT second and ROTK third. Moreover, this
would mean that we would want to complete FOTR then drain a ball to get
to ball 2. Run TTT on ball 2 and drain it before ROTK, finally run
ROTK and then grab extra balls to keep the game going. This doesnt
seem to be a worthwhile gamble does it? am I missing something? Do I
actually want to intentionally drain balls?

Hats off to you Keith on a stellar effort with LOTR! More importantly,
hats way off for your active participation on RGP and what seems to be
an undying effort to continually improve LOTR.

Love this game!

SpamInACan wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Keith - much appreciated.
> "Keith P. Johnson" <pin-wizard@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Sorry for the late reply, I've been in Italy.
> >
> > The first number you see in bonus is basically an amount for each
> > switch you hit during the ball. Then the rings get added to this
> > number. This total (switches + rings) is then multiplied. Then you
> > add the ball-specific movie bonus. On normal 3-ball settings, ball 1
> > gives you a bonus for your progress on FOTR multiball, ball 2 gives
> > you a bonus for your progress on TTT multiball, and ball 3 scores for
> > ROTK progress. The value for each of these can be 25K (no progress)
> > to 5M (completed). This may or may not affect your strategies
> > depending on whether you think this is a significant enough sum to
> > shoot for. Extra balls award the same movie as the ball they were
> > earned on. Other # balls per game try to even out the bonus as much
> > as possible (5-ball is, IIRC, FOTR/FOTR/TTT/TTT/ROTK).
> >
> > keith
> > --
> > At one time I had random Your Mother jokes down here.
> > Maybe someday they'll return...

JC

I don't think that's quite right. Your progress on each mutiball is
saved. So while you *want* to got for fotr on ball one, if you start
ttt, make progress, and then re-start ttt during ball two, any
additional progress will be awarded on the bonus. That's my reading
anyway.

I think you basically want to start whatever you can but be *sure* to
get fotr asap.(?)

-JC-