New System - do you approve?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I am looking at upgrading my system within the month. I will be using it primarily for video/audio/photo editing, and gaming as a strong secondary use. Here is what I am looking at getting:

Pentium 4c 800mhz FSB 3.0GHz (or should I go LGA775?)
Abit IS7 mobo (or what do u recommend if I go LGA775?)
2 512mb 3200 Corsair DIMMs (is there a better brand than corsair that I should go with? Would you recommend a faster memory speed than 3200?)
BFG GeForce 6800 GT 256MB (Ok... so this one is $460, but a full blown Ultra is about $560. It seems that it would make sense to just get the Ultra for the extra $100, or an ATI XT 800 256mb. What is your advice on this?)

Lastly, what would you recommend as a $100-ish soundcard? How about the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (Internal) for about $85?

Also, are there any upcoming price cuts I should know about that may create a more opportune time to upgrade?

Thanks for the help,

Dan

Unless you want to spend more for ddr2 and pci express, the "c" series p4 with is7 will work fine. Abit also makes the as8 with the same chipset for socket 775. I would skip the soundcard for now, and try the onboard sound. You can always add it later. Prices for the 6800gt vary widely. I would search pricewatch for a better deal.

gpol2162

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
Don't go with the Ultra or XT. I really don't believe the extra $100 is worth it. However if you want top of the line then I would go with the XT.

endyen

Splendid
Scotty is still too hot, so stick with P4c.
Since gaming is only secondary, even the GT is overkill, a 6800 will be more than you need.
Intel is due to drop prices in the next week, AFAIK.