System requirements for Radeon Mobility 5830

Status
Not open for further replies.

kent1956

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Hello,
I have an Acer Aspire AS7540-1284 laptop. Its ok, but I'd like to put the best video card in it I can.

Any suggestions as to what will work with this system?

It came with:
AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core M300 2.0GHz processor
3GB DDR2 memory
320GB hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics

It's basically impossible to upgrade the gpu of a laptop, as usually the chip itself is soldered right onto the motherboard. Plus, chances are even if it wasn't, the 5830 wouldn't fit into the same slot. I wouldn't waste my time on such a matter. Save up and buy a laptop with decent graphics.

kent1956

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
I've already found instructions of how to open up and swap out the video board on the Acer laptop, so I know it is possible.

I just need to know what I can use.

But thanks for your advice, even if it's not completely accurate. :pfff:

Well, that raises some questions for me:

1) The HD 4200 is integrated into the motherboard. you sure it was the correct laptop? If it's an integrated card it should be part of the mobo and thus there is nothing to remove.

2) If it is the correct laptop, what GPU did they swap for? That should give you an idea of what can go in.

Otherwise, your greatest difficulty is figuring out what slot the laptop uses. Many companies use proprietary slots and you can only buy cards from them, otherwise the card won't fit. Others use one of a couple Mobile Xpress Module variants. Acer at one point used MXM slots, but I can't identify if your laptop does. Take a look at the MXM Upgrade site and see if you can identify what it is. They don't have your model of laptop listed as upgradeable, but you may be able to compare what you have to the data that they have: http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/index.html

kent1956

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks I'll check them out. I think that is where I saw the instructions on how to change out a video card in an Acer Aspire. I'll have to write them and see if they think one of their cards might work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.