Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows phone 8 to lumia 800?

Last response: in Windows 8
June 15, 2012 12:11:34 AM

Hello!

My old blackberry just explode, and I NEED to buy a new cellphone. I saw the lumia 800 at a good price which has alot of useful features ( office, skydrive, ONENOTE etc... ) and I was wandering if windows phone 8 will be avaible for this one because I don't want to buy a cell phone that's gonna be expired in like 3 months.

Thanks for any information you may find. I searched the web and didn't find anything ( only rumor ).

EDIT : NO windows phone 8 won't be on LUMIA 800 - 900. Still they're going to release a features pack ( Windows phone 7.8 ). No regrets of my buy, seriously, the best cellphone I ever got ( never got crazy cellphone too... LG rumor 2 -> BlackBerry Curve 9300 -> Nokia Lumia 800 )

Best solution

June 15, 2012 12:25:07 AM

A Lumia 800 will be a good buy, and it will most likely get Windows Phone 8. However, for this information it's better to check over at XDA-Developers.
June 15, 2012 12:11:13 PM

Thanks, and I guess that even if WP8 doesn't comes out on lumia 800, it will still be pretty cool as they'll add an features pack update in that case. I would rather go to the lumia 900 but it ain't available with my carrier (f*ck roger and their "exclusivity").

Gonna buy this next week yum yum
m
l
Related resources
June 15, 2012 3:57:55 PM

One thing that I like about the Lumia 800 is that some have an unlocked bootloader. Which means you can full unlock the phone, flash custom ROMs, etc.
The newer ones are locked, but if you buy from eBay, you might get one that has the dev bootloader. The Lumia 900's are unlocked (I have one myself and I've tried to unlock it using the 800 method).
m
l
June 15, 2012 5:24:43 PM

So i could buy the lumia 900 from a diffrent carrier and unlock it? ( they are, by default, locked by rogers ).
m
l
June 15, 2012 5:31:24 PM

if you are looking for an unlocked phone then go for a nexus S or galaxy Nexus they come unlocked out of the box no matter what carrier you buy it from. but i am sure you can find good deals to buy it outright and the older nexus S is using the latest version of android too
m
l
June 15, 2012 5:50:23 PM

cxinformatique said:
So i could buy the lumia 900 from a diffrent carrier and unlock it? ( they are, by default, locked by rogers ).

Rogers is more forgiving than AT&T, they might provide unlock codes. Get the 800. What I was saying above is that newer Lumia 800s aren't jailbreakable. The older ones with the development bootloader are. So you might want to find one on eBay because most retailers sell the ones that aren't jailbreakable. Oh and, you can get the 900 from Rogers and unlock it with a code yourself.

captaincharisma said:
if you are looking for an unlocked phone then go for a nexus S or galaxy Nexus they come unlocked out of the box no matter what carrier you buy it from. but i am sure you can find good deals to buy it outright and the older nexus S is using the latest version of android too

I thought that the Galaxy Nexus was only on Verizon and Sprint? (Aside from the international unlocked version).
m
l
June 15, 2012 6:08:13 PM

@fpoorn sorry i forgot about CDMA versions. they do not come unlocked out of the box. i don't know what kind of network sprint and versizon uses though because those carriers are not availible in my country
m
l
June 22, 2012 12:12:25 PM

So i bought the lumia 800. Why? Because lumia 900 wasn't avaible with my carrier AND after reading reviews, compare it to the 900, I chose to take it. And seriously, I'm ain't got any regrets! ; beautiful and clean interface, generous configuration choice, skydrive, microsoft office ( include omg ), free GPS include with the phone, sync of all my contacts too easy.

But, I just saw the news about windows phone 8 which will NOT be compatible with this model. Still, I was really in need of a phone and couldn't wait till another version comes out AND they're going to release a feature pack for windows phone 7.5 ( which will be 7.8 ).

Thanks for the comments, topic is close!

m
l
June 22, 2012 12:12:36 PM

Best answer selected by cxinformatique.
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:04:16 PM

I heard about the update not coming. This is my response:
FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
But, WP7 is still a great OS, and 2 years with it is OK with me. Once my contract is over, I'll get a WP8 phone.
m
l
June 22, 2012 8:13:19 PM

Haha I tought the same thing. Still, I'm sure there will be a way to install it on our phones with the help of WINDOWS RT. But for now, I'm very satisfy from WP7. And they have good communication with win 8, win 7, windows home server, etc...
m
l
!