Tech: Broken Screw Heads on Pop Bumper Caps

I have googled looking for a solution for this but I haven't found
anything.

I have a friend who has a Data East Star Wars. He has a couple of
light bulbs out in the pop bumpers. One of the pop bumper caps is
cracked and he would like to replace it. When he went to unscrew the
pop bumper caps to replace the bulbs, he found that the screw heads
were broken off. He doesn't know what to do to get the caps off.

I am going to take a look at it this weekend to see if I can help him.
I would have thought that the screw holes would have stripped before
the screw heads would have broken off, but what do I know.

Has anyone ever experienced this? What do I need to do to get the
screws out without destroying the pop bumpers?

Thanks for your help.

Ken in Princeton
TZ, STTNG, IJ & MM

martin

that does sound odd. Ifthere is a stub left after the cap is removed,
it should be possible to remove the head with pliers. If not, then you
will be into cutting the plastic away to get the screw out. One screw
is enough for a pop bumper cap, you can make a cosmetic head for the
other. Replacing the body is a final option but the lamps make that
harder than most of us here seem to like.

I would think the screw heads have been stripped out to look like they
are broken. I agree with you, the plastic housing would have broken
first.
Bill

If he's gonna replace the cracked bumper cap anyways, why not carefully
break the rest of it? It should leave enough of the screw that you can
grab something with pliers or vice grips and carefully remove it...

-

http://www.myhomegameroom.com

In article <1125069362.095661.57240@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
khsjsilver@aol.com says...
> I have googled looking for a solution for this but I haven't found
> anything.
>
> I have a friend who has a Data East Star Wars. He has a couple of
> light bulbs out in the pop bumpers. One of the pop bumper caps is
> cracked and he would like to replace it. When he went to unscrew the
> pop bumper caps to replace the bulbs, he found that the screw heads
> were broken off. He doesn't know what to do to get the caps off.
>
> I am going to take a look at it this weekend to see if I can help him.
> I would have thought that the screw holes would have stripped before
> the screw heads would have broken off, but what do I know.
>
> Has anyone ever experienced this? What do I need to do to get the
> screws out without destroying the pop bumpers?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Ken in Princeton
> TZ, STTNG, IJ & MM

Try cutting a small slot in the remaining screw with a Dremmel cutoff wheel
and then removing it with a standard screwdriver.
--
Ron -- CARGPB7
ronstr@asisnotapplicable.com (change not applicable to na)

TRENDING THREADS