Dell XPS M1530. It doesn't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I have a serious problem with my xps1530. This morning I tried to turn on it but after I press the button all the lights turn off and only the hd light remains on. The monitor is copletly black and there are not hd loading sound. The laptop doesn't load the bios and remain in this state indefinitely.

One time my laptop had problems with the graphics processor and the assistance changed the motherboard but that time the computer turn on and I had problem in windows. Now the laptop is dead.

What could it be?

Thanks, bye bye.

alamask

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I had the exact same problem. it seems like this problem happened to a lot of M1530 owner. It usually happened a couple months after warranty. It's a motherboad problem i believe!

Try hold the "D" key while hitting the power button. That works for me last time. If not try "fn" + Power

That brought my computer back for about 2 weeks then happened again. THis time no luck so far!

If you found out anything, do share coz I know lots of people experienced that lately.

PS. I think Dell might be screwing around w. us, seems like they know this would happen after the warranty runs out. They make u purchase the extended warranty to replace the motherboard which is $500.

russj100

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Alamask-
What ever became of this problem? I am in the same boat. I had the flashing num lock and no other action from computer. I replaced the mobo and it actually started up, but it went through some memory checks and before it finished it locked up. I tried to restart it, and now I get the flashing cap lock led (which indicates a memory problem?). I have reseated everything and even tried it with everything not in place. It's just off warranty and I don't want to blow alot on it if it's all in vain.

grantmg

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

I am right there with you guys. I'm servicing a client's XPS M1530 right now and originally it started with the "no screen at all" problem. Eventually after holding the power button for 30sec with battery out and flushing the "memory" that way it came back and I got vid to at least see the BIOS. After running a Diagnostics with (FN+Power) it found a memory error. Then I reseated and switched the RAM in the DIMMS. Got into Windows in normal mode! However, now the screen dies after several min in Normal Mode. It is ONLY STABLE in SAFE MODE. Going to research for Vid driver issues.

Ellrodt49

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011

Thank you!! I was convinced that either I would be out hundreds of bucks for a mobo or in need of a new system. But I tried what you suggested - overheated the GPU until the fan ran for quite a while, then booted up, and I'm back in business :bounce:

Thanks, Bradysama, and thanks to whoever suggested this fix to you.

epelly

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
As bizarre as this method is, it works. Unfortunately, I have to repeat it every morning. Any suggestions?

gregemerson

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
i took off the keyboard and just undid the connections did a soft reset and re did the connections and works no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.