TECH: switch won't say working on TOTAN

I have a few switches on the Tales of the Arabian Nights that I'm
working on that occasionally are reported as bad switches. When I put
it in switch edge test mode, the switch won't register until I've
manipulated it for a bit. Then it starts working for a few games.
Then it stops working again.

What is this? At first I thought that the wire was bent incorrectly
and that it wasn't maintaining the new bend I was putting in the wire.
Now, I'm wondering if a bad solder joint on the switch's diode would
cause this strange behavior.

Please let me know if you've seen this before and how to fix it.

Thanks.

Reuben Edgar
San Antonio, TX
3 answers Last reply
More about tech switch working totan

    Replace the switch.

    That era of games is notorious for that problem.

    Apparently, when those switches were soldered on the line, they were
    oriented such that the flux seeped into the switch housing. Makes the
    mechanism gummy and it collects dust and dirt.

    When you solder the new switch on, orient it so the switch housing is above
    the solder point.

    Competitive sells the switches cheap.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    "redgar60" <redgar@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I have a few switches on the Tales of the Arabian Nights that I'm
    > working on that occasionally are reported as bad switches. When I put
    > it in switch edge test mode, the switch won't register until I've
    > manipulated it for a bit. Then it starts working for a few games.
    > Then it stops working again.
    >
    > What is this? At first I thought that the wire was bent incorrectly
    > and that it wasn't maintaining the new bend I was putting in the wire.
    > Now, I'm wondering if a bad solder joint on the switch's diode would
    > cause this strange behavior.
    >
    > Please let me know if you've seen this before and how to fix it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Reuben Edgar
    > San Antonio, TX

    Could be a couple things. First, from assembly if flux got into the switch,
    it will work slow, often work in test, and fail in game play.

    Next up, study the switches coming up in error and your switch matrix in the
    manual, could be a poor connection on the same row or column at another
    switch causing you headaches. LTG :)

    "redgar60" <redgar@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I have a few switches on the Tales of the Arabian Nights that I'm
    > working on that occasionally are reported as bad switches. When I put
    > it in switch edge test mode, the switch won't register until I've
    > manipulated it for a bit. Then it starts working for a few games.
    > Then it stops working again.
    >
    > What is this? At first I thought that the wire was bent incorrectly
    > and that it wasn't maintaining the new bend I was putting in the wire.
    > Now, I'm wondering if a bad solder joint on the switch's diode would
    > cause this strange behavior.
    >
    > Please let me know if you've seen this before and how to fix it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Reuben Edgar
    > San Antonio, TX

    listen to Otto and just replace the switch, it seems quite a few of the
    little black micros do the same thing and I replace and they always work
    fine after, intermittent problem gone.

    Trin
    "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
    > Could be a couple things. First, from assembly if flux got into the
    > switch,
    > it will work slow, often work in test, and fail in game play.
    >
    > Next up, study the switches coming up in error and your switch matrix in
    > the
    > manual, could be a poor connection on the same row or column at another
    > switch causing you headaches. LTG :)
    >
    > "redgar60" <redgar@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a few switches on the Tales of the Arabian Nights that I'm
    >> working on that occasionally are reported as bad switches. When I put
    >> it in switch edge test mode, the switch won't register until I've
    >> manipulated it for a bit. Then it starts working for a few games.
    >> Then it stops working again.
    >>
    >> What is this? At first I thought that the wire was bent incorrectly
    >> and that it wasn't maintaining the new bend I was putting in the wire.
    >> Now, I'm wondering if a bad solder joint on the switch's diode would
    >> cause this strange behavior.
    >>
    >> Please let me know if you've seen this before and how to fix it.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    >> Reuben Edgar
    >> San Antonio, TX

Switch Games Video Games