Socket Error....

Qroo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
My communication program for connection to my office has been updated from a 16bit version to 32 bit. Now the 32bit version doesn't work, but the old 16bit version still does work.
The error coming up says:
Communication error.
The network is not ready.
Current state: Getting socket.
No connection is made, and so I have to shut down the program.
If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please help.
My old version still connects to the office at the moment, but will be prevented from doing so at the end of the month.
I've tried uninstalling the old prog first before installing the new one, disabling virus scanners and firewalls, etc.
I installed the prog onto a floppy and took it to the local internet cafe (using W2000 OS's) and it ran perfectly.
I searched MS Knowledge Base, and found something that MAY be related. It says that the OS file TCPIP.SYS should be:
Date 6.4.02 Size 313168 Version 5.02.2195.5542
My Version is 5.02.2195.5267 and Size 329456. Obviously mine is older.
To update the file I have to install SP2. Unfortunately I have already installed SP3, and I think I probably installed SP2 anyway.
I cannot run the SP2 insatll now because it knows a later update has already been carried out.
Does anyone know where I can get this file from, and can I just overwrite my version with it. I can't get it out of the EXE file for SP2 or SP3.
This may not be the answer to my problem, but I'm trying anything I can think of at this stage. Thanks.

Qroo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
Thanks for taking an interest in my problem. The unfortunate thing is that the program is not commercial software but an in-house communications program, and the problem I'm having seems to be due to my own home computer setup. Hundreds of colleagues are having no problems, using all flavors of operating systems.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm running SP2 and my TCPIP.SYS version is 2910. So I'm not sure that is your solution.

Is the software a VPN client? Or do you have to first run a VPN client and then the software? What exactly does the software do? Are you running any sort of router and/or firewall? Has anything else changed that you can think of besides 16 -> 32 bit (in your setup)?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Qroo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
I presume that the program is a VPN client because when I run it, it connects on its own to the work computer without running Internet Explorer, but through my cable modem connection and ISP. I am then presented with a log-in screen.
I do have a firewall, but I have tried disabling it, rebooting, then running the program- without success. Also tried disabling the firewall before installing and running the software. Tried setting the firewall to "enable all traffic". Tried running it from a floppy- no luck,same problems, took the floppy elsewhere and it connected ok from a friends computer also running W2K.
The only change that has occurred was the new connection of a cable modem. Haven't taken out the old pci modem. My Gigabyte 7vrxp has onboard network connection, but it was not used, and a NIC was installed in a pci slot for the cable modem connection. The onboard NIC was not used because access thru the back plate of the computer case was not possible, and so I disabled it in the bios. The pci nic that I'm using shows up in the control panel as nic#2, with Client for MSN, File & Printer sharing, & tcp/ip all ticked.
My internet explorer and any other internet programs all work well. My os is W2kpro and I do not have a network set up.
I've also tried uninstalling the 16bit prog before installing 32bit ver, and all other variations. I understand that the two can be installed at the same time because they dont write to the registry.
Can't think of anything else at the moment. Thanks again for your interest in the problem.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'm wondering if the "program" (VPN client) is mistakenly trying to access the on board NIC. You said it's disabled on the BIOS, but you also mentioned that the expansion NIC is listed as #2. That implies there was (or still is) a #1. Can you check to see that all traces of the original NIC is gone?

The onboard NIC was not used because access thru the back plate of the computer case was not possible, and so I disabled it in the bios
hehehe - this is usually when I get out the sheet metal cutters, nibbler, etc. Holes are easy to cut in cases.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Holes are easy to cut in cases

not always, took me AGES to jigsaw the bac out of an old at case to make it take an atx board, man this was STRONG! maybe the old saying "they dont make em like they used to" comes in here

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Qroo

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
I can get a new plate to install and allow access to the Lan connection, but you have to take everything out of the case first. At the moment I'm still spending all my spare time trying to fix my original software problem.
I checked the bios and control panel/ device manager and there are no other remains of the onbord nic. All other programs and internet connections work fine. The error "Communication error. The network is not ready" really makes it sound like a problem with the network card, so maybe I should delete it in the device manager, reboot and see if the re-install fixes the problem??

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
sounds like a good idea, but the fact that you can access the Internet as is leads me to believe your NIC is not the problem.

TRENDING THREADS