Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE IPB IJ CAB DECALS REWARD $450

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 3:53:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

OK, so the quest continues, i have found MANY IJ cab decals but none of
the IPB versions that i am looking for. Some i missed by weeks, others
by days, i swear it's like tracking bigfoot. SO...... I'm offering $450
to find the elusive set of Indiana Jones cab decals.

Dan

sullyshark at hotmail dot com
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:13:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

ive got somebody working the pipeline with lucas to get these done. ill
pay the damn license fee directly.

i cant promise the license will be issued, but it wont be for a lack of
effort.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:48:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

On 26 Aug 2005 14:13:46 -0700, azarcadegames@cox.net wrote:

>ive got somebody working the pipeline with lucas to get these done. ill
>pay the damn license fee directly.
>
>i cant promise the license will be issued, but it wont be for a lack of
>effort.

Go, Darin, Go!
Related resources
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:09:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Kick Ass!
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:08:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

> OK, so the quest continues, i have found MANY IJ cab decals but none of
> the IPB versions that i am looking for. Some i missed by weeks, others
> by days, i swear it's like tracking bigfoot. SO...... I'm offering $450
> to find the elusive set of Indiana Jones cab decals.

Pinball Heaven was supposed to be getting more sets in on 8/31, go here and
look on the bottom left. They can notify you when and *IF* they get any
more.

http://tinyurl.com/78chu

Skeets
August 26, 2005 9:15:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Now that is what I like to hear Darin!
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:47:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

I think you should save your money for legal fees.

Lucas will not approve any proposal you put forward, as they have no
rights to approve art or Williams Trademark use which they do not own.

Go for your life and spin your wheels all you want.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:14:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

sales@mrpinball.com.au wrote:
> I think you should save your money for legal fees.
>
> Lucas will not approve any proposal you put forward, as they have no
> rights to approve art or Williams Trademark use which they do not own.
>
> Go for your life and spin your wheels all you want.

You sir, are a detriment to this hobby.

Instead of telling everyone what they can't do, why not start helping
people with what CAN be done? After all, You'd still get your cut of
the money anyways, wouldn't you.

Oh well, at least there will always be parts available to keep my old
Gottliebs running and looking nice.

Dave
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:31:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

People don't need to be told what they can't do because they know what
can be done legally and what they can't.

You can't drive a car without a license can you??
And you can't reproduce art or use Trademarks you are not licensed to
use.

We at least are doing everything legal in relation to licensing,
because of things in the past both US and IPB are working on both Star
Wars and IJ licenses at present.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 1:01:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

wayne

as a two faced compulsive liar youre not someone i would take advice
from. especially when you make me sign a confidentiality agreement and
then you break the one you signed for me. hah. save your money for
legal fees and then hire a US attorney, youre going to need one i
assure you.

btw, the money i spend is all mine. if you think im going to let you
use my money to get a license with lucas youre crazy. maybe you have
fooled other investors into ponying up money for your operation, but
not me.

even without a license from you i hoped you had some level of success
in parts to supply the people in here that need them. not anymore.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 1:29:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Donnie you are 100% correct a license normally lasts for 2-3 years and
parts maybe 7 years.

So yes, Williams cannot transfer rights of a 3rd party Trademark even
if they still had the rights available which they don't.

Everything available new has been Ilegal and any parts with Lucas or
Indiana Jones on it needs a License, that also includes

Monster bash
Addams Family
Creature
IJ
Twilight Zone
Etc Etc Etc

and licenses cost from 5 to 25k.

I am under the impression that if it was made during the license term
IE NOS then they can still be sold today but anything new needs a
license.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:19:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

sales@mrpinball.com.au wrote:

> We at least are doing everything legal in relation to licensing,
> because of things in the past both US and IPB are working on both Star
> Wars and IJ licenses at present.

people would still be buying the IJ decals from IPB but you put a stop
to that when you admitted to me that you turned gene in for making
these without a 3rd party license. something that he may or may not
have known was needed.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:06:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

On 27 Aug 2005 09:01:18 -0700, azarcadegames@cox.net wrote:

[...]

>
>btw, the money i spend is all mine. if you think im going to let you
>use my money to get a license with lucas youre crazy. maybe you have
>fooled other investors into ponying up money for your operation, but
>not me.

Investors? I heard the Australian government helped him out. I wonder
if the good Aussie taxpayers know they helped fund this loser?
August 27, 2005 3:12:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

That's the problem, right there. Any pinball part that clearly carries
images of somebody else's licensed and trademarked property needs a
license from Williams for the art, and from the third-party provider.

So if Darin gets a license from Paramount to make IJ pinball decals, he
can do that - but they can't be the same as the originals wihout
permission to use the Williams intellectual property. How different do
they have to be? Lawyers answer that one, and they cost more than
licenses.

What Wayne is doing is like the "de-napsterization" of pinball. He's
got to make it into a business, and part of that is making money from
the intellectual property that he bought. It means that pinball parts
are going legal, for which we all pay a price. The tradeoff is that we
should see parts become more available.

There are lots of people- like Darin - who really helped the hobby
through some difficult times. And the volumes were low enough that
nobody really noticed or cared. But, like Napster, the unlicensed days
are over.

It all comes down to October 12, when Wayne gets to show his hand to
the market.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:40:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

Your statement is highly uncalled for, besides being unethical,
unprofessional and most certainly hateful! Why anyone would buy so much as
a short "bus ride" with your company is beyond me. Do you have a brother
named David living in Florida?

LJ


<sales@mrpinball.com.au> wrote in message
news:1125154056.894100.270820@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I think you should save your money for legal fees.
>
> Lucas will not approve any proposal you put forward, as they have no
> rights to approve art or Williams Trademark use which they do not own.
>
> Go for your life and spin your wheels all you want.
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:45:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Aug, sales@mrpinball.com.au wrote:
> I think you should save your money for legal fees.
>
> Lucas will not approve any proposal you put forward, as they have no
> rights to approve art or Williams Trademark use which they do not own.
>
> Go for your life and spin your wheels all you want.

I must be missing something.

I don't understand why a new license has to come from Lucas for what
amounts to pinball machine parts. I can see it needing to come from
Williams or whoever controls that, but why are side decals any different
from, say, ROM images? Those have Lucas art in them. What about ramp
decals? Are we in a situation where *all* parts with art on them for theme
licensed games produced by Bally/Williams are not legal? Or was the Lucas
license more limited than some?

I understand needing a new license to make *new* IJ *machines*. I don't
understand needing a new license to sell parts to support *existing*
machines. Did the original license run out at some point? Or was it not
transferrable to a new owner?


--Donnie

--
Donnie Barnes http://www.donniebarnes.com 879. V.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:16:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Aug, azarcadegames@cox.net wrote:
> people would still be buying the IJ decals from IPB but you put a stop
> to that when you admitted to me that you turned gene in for making
> these without a 3rd party license. something that he may or may not
> have known was needed.

I'd be willing to bet he didn't. I'd also be willing to bet that if nobody
went complaining that Lucas wouldn't have cared AT ALL about people
creating parts to keep those machines going. Sure, they'd probably care
about new machines, but not keeping old ones nice...


--Donnie

--
Donnie Barnes http://www.donniebarnes.com 879. V.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:50:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Aug, martin wrote:
> That's the problem, right there. Any pinball part that clearly carries
> images of somebody else's licensed and trademarked property needs a
> license from Williams for the art, and from the third-party provider.
>
> So if Darin gets a license from Paramount to make IJ pinball decals, he
> can do that - but they can't be the same as the originals wihout
> permission to use the Williams intellectual property. How different do
> they have to be? Lawyers answer that one, and they cost more than
> licenses.
>
> What Wayne is doing is like the "de-napsterization" of pinball. He's
> got to make it into a business, and part of that is making money from
> the intellectual property that he bought. It means that pinball parts
> are going legal, for which we all pay a price. The tradeoff is that we
> should see parts become more available.
>
> There are lots of people- like Darin - who really helped the hobby
> through some difficult times. And the volumes were low enough that
> nobody really noticed or cared. But, like Napster, the unlicensed days
> are over.

Well, I agree, but you're leaving out part of the equation. That part is
the stuff that is *still* to small to mess with as far as licenses are
concerned. The problem here is now we have a much more aggressive entity
protecting his rights to those parts *just in case* they either get popular
enough to do *or* manufacturing processes are developed that allow him to
do smaller runs cost effectively.

That's still all within his right to do, but it does pose a problem for
those of us who wanted/needed parts like that and where the Darin's of the
world could make it happen. Just because Darin could make something happen
doesn't mean it makes business sense for *Wayne* to make it happen. But
Wayne will make sure it *doesn't* happen just to protect his rights, which
we can't blame him for, but doesn't leave many of us incredibly happy,
either.

Maybe Wayne will blow our socks off on Oct 12 with parts we never dreamed
would be made available. Somehow I doubt it, but if he does, I'll be his
biggest cheerleader.


--Donnie

--
Donnie Barnes http://www.donniebarnes.com 879. V.
!