Bally Vector MPU

Is there supposed to be a ROM at U1 on the MPU? I read in Google about
how if there is a 32k ROM at U2, there doesn't need to be a ROM at U1. I
recently installed a 6810 RAM at U7 that originally was missing, so
maybe U1 is missing too? Or does there need to be a jumper set
somewhere? The LED before the 6810 replacement flickered then flashed
once, now it flickers and doesn't flash, and according to my manual,
it's a problem with the memory bank and to replace U1-6, 7 and 8 one at
a time. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Matt

The flicker is reset circuit OK.
First blink is ROMS U1,U2. (U6 would have to be OK or there would be no
flicker)
5101 isnt the 2nd flash its the 3rd flash
6810 is the 2nd flash

If you use 4K roms (2732) you only need a U2 and a U6.

Id say if your getting the flicker but no first flash, you have a bad
program rom or you have a bad socket or both at U2.

bad socket? loose socket? They are really particular! Could be a lot of
things. If you want to send it to me I'll fix it. Just tell me what
game you need it for and I'll burn you new roms.

You are correct about flash sequence, was this pinball working or did
you just buy it? If you can take a picture, it might help. Also most
boards may still have paper label identifying mpu for vector, or
someone may have used other board, wrong jumpers, wrong U2/U6.

No U1, try a new 5101, for second flash. If board is original jumpers
should be ok. Should be a Bally 35 mpu. Also see if battery has leaked
near U8, this may also be problem. If clean, replace 5101 ram

mikep28@omuonline.net wrote:

> The flicker is reset circuit OK.
> First blink is ROMS U1,U2. (U6 would have to be OK or there would be no
> flicker)
> 5101 isnt the 2nd flash its the 3rd flash
> 6810 is the 2nd flash
>
> If you use 4K roms (2732) you only need a U2 and a U6.
>
> Id say if your getting the flicker but no first flash, you have a bad
> program rom or you have a bad socket or both at U2.

Makes sense, but how did the led flash once, before I installed the
6810, and now not flash at all?

At any rate, I am willing to 'donate' my time and work on it. If he was
willing to send it to me. I do this as a hobby and dont mind helping
others out as long as they dont profit off my generosity.

Matt that is fine. What I meant was someone sending me aboard saying
they are gonna keep it and then turning around and selling the board.
Since you told me straight up your plans. I am willing to look at the
board on the bench. Just pay shipping. Im no Clive or Tom Callahan but
I have fixed a lot of these boards and if its w/o acid damage or little
acid damage. i will be glad to get you going, I dont mind its just a
hobby and what goes around here comes around here. If you follow me :)

mikep28 at insightbb dot com

greatwichjohn@hotmail.com wrote:
> You are correct about flash sequence, was this pinball working or did
> you just buy it? If you can take a picture, it might help. Also most
> boards may still have paper label identifying mpu for vector, or
> someone may have used other board, wrong jumpers, wrong U2/U6.

I bought the machine locally, non-working, assumed it needed to have MPU
battery corrosion work done. There is masking tape on it that says
"Vector", not known how old that is, but it's been there since I bought it.

mikep28@omuonline.net wrote:
> At any rate, I am willing to 'donate' my time and work on it. If he was
> willing to send it to me. I do this as a hobby and dont mind helping
> others out as long as they dont profit off my generosity.

This is nice of you. However, when I get the machine working, I plan on
trading it for another machine I will like more. I'm not sure if that is
what you consider "profit off your generosity".

Now the twist:

I powered it on last night. It got 2 flashes this time, continued dead.
Off and on again, one flash. Again, two flashes. Again, one flash.
Again, no flashes. Then, turned it on, got four long (3-10 seconds)
flashes, the drop targets reset, the machine said something and came the
closest yet to springing to life. Alas, more tries to get it working
produce one, two, or no flashes at all. I'm thinking bad socket at U8,
requiring more work than my scope can handle. Any advice anyone?

- Matt