Ongoing 'random' BSOD on startup @ Windows Loading image screen.

silverzx

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hello everyone, I've been having an ongoing issue on startup for almost a year now, although in recent weeks its gotten worse.

When I boot my PC BIOS loads fines, I select Windows 7 to boot, then the black windows loading screen appears. Sometimes the animation doesn't show, the screen stays black and then the PC resets. Other times a BSOD appears. If I'm lucky the animation shows and it continues to the login screen.

I thought this may be down to my GPU which I've just upgraded but the problem still persists.

I'm considering buying a 100-250GB SSHD to put a fresh install on Windows 7 on to ensure it's not just because of a corrupt install on Windows.

Heres my spec:

CPU: i5 2500k 3.3GHz to 4.5GHz.
CPU Cooler: Artic Cooler Freezer 13.
MOBO: Asus P8Z68-V LX, Intel Z68 Chipset.
RAM: 8Gb (2x4Gb) Corsair Vengeance LP, DDR3, 1600MHZ.
GFX: XFX ATI Radeon HD 4890 1024MB GDDR5.
HDD: 2TB Samsung Sata II.
PSU: TAGAN 530w TG530-U15.
Case: Jeantech "Phong II".
Networking: SunVision £15 300MBs Wireless Card.
DVDRW: Lite-ON LH-20A1S-11C
Speakers: 5.1 Logitech Surround Sound.

This is the BSOD error code:
MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
*** STOP: 0X0000009C (0X0000000000000005, 0XFFFFF80000BA8A0, 0X00000000BE200000, X000000000005110A)

Here's a link to a thread relating to this which contains more information: http://tinyurl.com/brvfltn

If there is any more information needed to help identify the cause, please say and I'll do my best to provide it.

I looked at the first partial debug dump.
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa8007eb7028, be200000, 5110a}

it was in some 3rd party MCI device
a call to Media Control Interface. maybe AVIVideo, CdAudio, a Sequencer.

it is a pretty old interface.
the debugger indicated that the code was corrupt or paged out and could not be read.
- all 3 dumps had basically the same issue.
also the dump was pretty small and lacked required info to debug.
- you might select the next bigger dump size and capture a larger memory dump.

- I can not tell with the dump you provided have but are you overclocking without turning off turbo boost?

- guessing, I would say the failure is caused by MCI device rather that overclocking. look for updated drivers if you know what the device is.

- just another guess, I have see some SATA 2 ports go "deaf" and stop responding,
it can result in failure to load a driver and cause truncation of crash logs.
I would suggest changing the port to port 3 and enable hotswap if your bios supports it
(port 3 because of some hardware bugs in support chips, hotswap to allow your deaf drive to reconnect if it can)
-guess it could also be thermal expansion issue causing intermittent connection with SATA cables. (try new cables)
-if the MCI device is your video card, you could have a thermal expansion issue with the card. (just another guess)