Which 17" Dell LCD?

Any comments on the E172FPb vs the 1703FP? Thanks!
9 answers Last reply
More about which dell

    I recently bought a 1703fp and love it. Bright, clear
    good viewing angles, I recommend it. Haven't seen the
    e172 though.

    "Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Any comments on the E172FPb vs the 1703FP? Thanks!

    >I recently bought a 1703fp and love it. Bright, clear
    >good viewing angles, I recommend it. Haven't seen the
    >e172 though.

    Thanks, looks like the e172 is about $100 cheaper, but I can't find
    much in the way of reviews...

    I forgot to mention that I bought the 1703 by comparing
    its specs with the e172. The 172 has narrower viewing
    angles, higher contrast and has DVI and Analog inputs.
    The 172 is analog only. My earlier comments are based on
    using the 1703 with DVI input.
    The web site will let you review these specs if you click on
    the help link in the monitors section. I got mine on special
    but I don't recall what it was, but it was a no brainer at the
    time.

    > "Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >> Any comments on the E172FPb vs the 1703FP? Thanks!
    >
    > >I recently bought a 1703fp and love it. Bright, clear
    > >good viewing angles, I recommend it. Haven't seen the
    > >e172 though.
    >
    > Thanks, looks like the e172 is about $100 cheaper, but I can't find
    > much in the way of reviews...

    "Steve" <hft@wpr.inv> wrote in message
    > "Pen" <pen34us_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >> Any comments on the E172FPb vs the 1703FP? Thanks!
    >
    > >I recently bought a 1703fp and love it. Bright, clear
    > >good viewing angles, I recommend it. Haven't seen the
    > >e172 though.
    >
    > Thanks, looks like the e172 is about $100 cheaper, but I can't find
    > much in the way of reviews...

    Steve, I would highly recommend the Dell Ultrasharp 1703FP 17" 1280x1024
    flat screen LCD.
    We have over 250 of them at work. They are a joy to look at. Text is razor
    sharp. The Panel
    is scrotching bright. Make sure you use a graphics card with a DVI output.
    The Digital interface
    makes a big difference over the analog VGA connection. Turn down the
    brightness from 100%
    to 50% when you get the monitor.

    I was so impressed with these over the Sony Trinitrons we had before, I
    ordered their bigger
    cousins - the Dell Ultrasharp 1901FPs for home use. Now I can't wait to get
    back home and
    turn them on. They will save your eyesight.

    I would say pay a bit more and get the 1703FPs. You would be delighted.

    Regards,

    Tapas

    >Steve, I would highly recommend the Dell Ultrasharp 1703FP 17" 1280x1024

    This is one model Ive considered as well.

    Another model is the NEC flat panels in that size range

    Any opinions on the NEC models?

    <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >Steve, I would highly recommend the Dell Ultrasharp 1703FP 17" 1280x1024
    >
    > This is one model Ive considered as well.
    >
    > Another model is the NEC flat panels in that size range
    >
    > Any opinions on the NEC models?

    I think the NECs and the Samsung LCDs are exceptional. I heard a rumor that
    Samsung supplies
    the DELL flat panels. The Viewsonic models are wonderful as well.
    Unfortunately we never
    got to compare them side by side since DELL sent us only their model lineup
    when we
    were thinking of switching all our office CRTs for the LCDs.

    So amongst all DELL flat panels, the 1703FP stood out as having the best
    price/performance
    ratio. We bought over 250. Extremely happy with the purchase. So is every
    user at work.
    They are very sharp and soothing to the eye when run at its native
    resolution of 1280x1024
    in WinXP Pro using the Large Font setting and dpi set to 120 with Clear Text
    enabled.

    Their performance is very good with the VGA analog connection. It becomes
    spectacular
    with the DVI interface. Be sure to get an AGP card with a DVI out.

    Tapas

    >So amongst all DELL flat panels, the 1703FP stood out as having the best
    >price/performance
    >ratio. We bought over 250. Extremely happy with the purchase. So is every
    >user at work.
    >They are very sharp and soothing to the eye when run at its native
    >resolution of 1280x1024
    >in WinXP Pro using the Large Font setting and dpi set to 120 with Clear Text
    >enabled.

    OK thanks for info.

    The Dell panels are ones Im considering as well..... in
    that price range

    The one thing I did read abt the NEC panels was that
    they had FAST response times.... abt the fastest
    available in that price range and size.

    But it appears the Dell panels have analog and DVI
    inputs whereas the NEC are analog only

    Choices, choices

    Hi all,

    I am about to splash out on a 17" TFT and have see the DELL 1703FP.

    Which of the two do you think is the best buy?

    http://reviews.cnet.com/ViewSonic_VP171s_-_flat_panel_display_-_TFT_-_17/4505-3174_7-30629748.html

    > DELL 1703FP

    http://reviews.cnet.com/UltraSharp_1703FP/4505-3174_7-30430315-2.html?tag=tab

    I am a multimedia designer/devloper, play a lot of FPS games and watch
    the occasional DVD.

    thanks,

    ben ;]

    The organic entity known as Ben Baker communicated the following:

    > I am about to splash out on a 17" TFT and have see the DELL 1703FP.
    >
    > Which of the two do you think is the best buy?
    >
    >> Viewsonic 17" VP171S
    >
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/ViewSonic_VP171s_-_flat_panel_display_-_TFT_-_1
    > 7/4505-3174_7-30629748.html
    >
    >> DELL 1703FP
    >
    > http://reviews.cnet.com/UltraSharp_1703FP/4505-3174_7-30430315-2.html?t
    > ag=tab
    >
    > I am a multimedia designer/devloper, play a lot of FPS games and watch
    > the occasional DVD.

    The Viewsonic has a 16 ms response time and the Dell 25 ms. If I were a
    game player (which I am) I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

    --
    Hans

Dell LCD Computers