Status
Not open for further replies.

cpark90

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Hey Ive been looking for a keyboard and mouse for my fairly new pc. I only want to spend between $50-70 total so I'm not looking for a high-end gaming setup, but I dont want a piece of crap either. So far I have found a few choices that look good to me.

Logitech MK-550 combo
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Combo-Keyboard-920-002555/dp/B003VAHYNC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312164564&sr=1-1

I like this one but I fear that the mouse brings it down. I also looked at the MK-710 since its pretty close to the same price

After some research however I started leaning towards buying the mouse and keyboard seperately around the basis of the mouse being a logitech G500 or logitech MX-518 and a cheaper keyboard like this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009ZBRS0/sr=1-1/qid=1312155979/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1312155979&sr=1-1&seller=

I also was looking at the DeathAdder but I don't really like the look of them

What do you guys think? I do some gaming and web browsing and my hands are medium to large lol
I'm open to any suggestions for any other mouse and keyboard as well.

Thanks!

Solution
You might not be looking for a high-end game setup, but I've noticed a lot of middle of the road type keyboards (ie Logitech Illuminated keyboard) don't accept certain key combos while gaming (ie jumping while running).

The G500 is an exceptional mouse for gaming. I think your original plan is good.

When you're gaming, you don't want to have to rely on battery power or in the middle of a game, you could start getting shot up when the batteries fail. Plus, when not gaming, I've had a click+drag operation take on a mind of its own in file manager while I was moving some directories around when the batteries have started to fail on me. Not a good time for that to happen.

If I had an HTPC, I'd go for a wireless setup, but if you're...
You might not be looking for a high-end game setup, but I've noticed a lot of middle of the road type keyboards (ie Logitech Illuminated keyboard) don't accept certain key combos while gaming (ie jumping while running).

The G500 is an exceptional mouse for gaming. I think your original plan is good.

When you're gaming, you don't want to have to rely on battery power or in the middle of a game, you could start getting shot up when the batteries fail. Plus, when not gaming, I've had a click+drag operation take on a mind of its own in file manager while I was moving some directories around when the batteries have started to fail on me. Not a good time for that to happen.

If I had an HTPC, I'd go for a wireless setup, but if you're sitting at desk with a desktop PC, personally, I don't think wireless is not the way to go.

Solution

cpark90

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
ok so a g500 I can probably get for around $40 if I can catch a sale now I need to find a decent keyboard for around $20. I wouldnt mind it being wireless. Is the microsoft 2000 a good deal?

Unless the logitech keyboard says "gaming" somewhere, the key combos are probably limited.

It's strange anymore. The cheapest and most expensive keyboards allow the key combos (shift+w to run and throw in the spacebar to jump while running), but those in the middle seem not to.

That Microsoft Curve 2000 OEM version is a good match:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109043

People say it's good for gaming (this is from the retail version feedback):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=23-109-149&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=100&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=gaming&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

cpark90

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I would buy the microsoft curve 2000 but my only reservation is that I thought it would be cool to have a wireless keyboard because I have my pc hooked up to my tv as well. With a wireless keyboard I could do essay's, watch youtube stuff etc in bed. Are there any wireless keyboard around the $20 worth a hoot? It doesnt have to be gaming i dont think. thanks

Maybe it's just me, but if I could find one, I wouldn't trust a $20 wireless keyboard to game well (key combo issue + lag).

You can get what you need out of a wired keyboard in this price range, but not a wireless, unless you can find something used?

cpark90

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
yea, i was afraid of that, tbh i'm not worried about a $20 board not being good enough for gaming because the one I currently use is about 7 years old and came with our old pc. It works good enough for me for gaming. I'm hoping that I can possibly catch a deal in the upcoming weeks but if not I guess the microsoft 2000 is a good deal?

@ubercake
i've never had a keyboard fail to register two or three key commands. this is because they all support 3-key rollover. come on, you can ctrl+alt+del can't you?. for any commands larger than 3 keys at one you need a full n-key rollover which is normally only found on higher quality boards.

batteries in keyboards can last for 6 months or more easily. batteries in mice can last for 6-12 hours depending on the model and age of the mouse. i used one for years and never had any issues (as long as you dont forget to charge it). honestly its not so big a deal.

@op
if you want to go with a wireless keyboard or mouse i'd look to logitech, at least middle of the road. people rave about input lag being horrible but honestly its not as bad as everyone makes it seem. if you buy a decent setup you most likely will not notice.

the one bad thing about wireless mice is that the batteries go bad in them after a few years. i'm talking about the ones with the internal battery that goes on a charger and not the ones that take triple a's.

i wouldnt just go for a quality mouse, you should get a decent keyboard as well. remember that you will be typing on this thing for a few years so you want something comfortable that has the features you want.

i'd be wary about bottom-rung wireless keyboards and mice (the range might not be what you expect). normally the distance is only about 3-7 feet.

in general: you might get the best deals with a mouse + keyboard set (unless you find some good sales on individual parts). i've always had good luck with logitech myself though my wireless model set was about $180 (but this might be due to the tech being new). i'd suggest paying around the same money for your keyboard as you do your mouse. remember, you will be using both, its not wise to push all your money to just one.+

cpark90

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
thanks for the feedback. I've actually been looking for a decent keyboard now for fear of exactly what you stated. How do you guys feel about the sidewinder x6? It's not too expensive yet it seems to do the job fairly well. Do you think it would be a bad decision to mix the logitech g500 and microsoft sidewinder?

Sure. The ctrl+alt+del works on every keyboard, but do me a favor and pick up a Logitech Illuminated keyboard and play BFBC2 or another shooter and tell me which key combos don't work.

It shouldn't be an issue. The key-mapping software for my Logitech G110 is different than the button mapping software for my G500; one doesn't affect the functionality of the other. I'm thinking this would be a similar situation with the sidewinder and the G500.

I would say it's just OK. It does the job, but the G-keys... in order to assign them to anything it's like you're remapping the F keys. Swapping the Fs for the Gs. It's not like you actually have additional keys at your disposal.

I got it mainly for the glowing keys though. My first try was with a couple of the Logitech Illuminated keyboards. I like the white glow and this was all I wanted until I discovered the 1st one wasn't broken. I thought to myself, heck, how is it I can press ctrl-alt-del and have that key combo work no problem, but I couldn't get the famous shift-w-spacebar key combo (run and jump) to work. I went out to the Logitech and other forums and discovered it's just the way that thing works. I found that Logitech Illuminated keyboard is just not designed for that. So I took the second one back and picked up a keyboard from Logitech's 'gaming' line. The G110 does indeed allow for the gaming key combos. I just wanted the glowing keys. I could have saved $20 if only the illuminated keyboard allowed the key combos my $10 keyboard with no glow allowed.

I'm guessing Logitech didn't want anyone forgoing purchasing the gaming line of keyboards at $60-200 to get a plain old Illuminated keyboard at a mere $30-40 since that's all most of us want. So to deter us from saving some coin, they just make it so the gaming key combos don't function on their cheaper keyboard.

cpark90

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
o ok, I was thinking that I may not need a gaming keyboard.... I dont know if it's worth the extra money for some of the features I dont even need, like g-keys. I kinda like the illuminated board but blue is really the only color that would fit my system, maybe I should just go with a functional board without as many of the bells and whistles?

you do not have to have a gaming keyboard just to be able to input commands you might be using for gaming purposes. granted it might depend on what buttons you actually want to press at the same time, but in general i havent had trouble on any single keyboard i've used.

my old wireless keyboard that came with the logitech mx1000 bundle 5 or so years ago was not a gaming model and worked perfectly fine with any and all combinations i've used.

the same with a more recent media-style logitech keyboard another family member has.

the same with my ancient ibm model m circa 1990.

the same with a keyboard from a no-name brand worth $5 or less.

the same with my laptop keyboard.

---

i know someone who has one of the logitech G series keyboards. the one with the non-color lcd screen. they seem to be happy with it.

there is nothing wrong with a barebones keyboard. i've owned pretty fancy ones and i can tell you that 99.999% of the time i've never used the extra keys. i think i've used the calculator shortcut button a few times but thats about it.

listening to what uber had to say there might be trouble with the illuminated keyboard he was talking about so you might want to avoid that model.

personally i dont buy glowing keyboards. playing in the dark for extended periods of time may be harmful to your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS