Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Palm M515 class action lawsuit

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
December 18, 2004 3:36:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I've been told by a doctor friend who owns an M515, that there is a (Canadian) class action lawsuit in progress
against Palm. The problem is that the m515 won't synch.

Buying an m515 seems to be a bad idea. I've searched the net for this, but had not hits on a lawsuit.

On 2004-12-16, John <johnw_94020@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Not bad!! It takes me so much longer, but then I use Avantgo over a
<snip>
>You could get a Palm M515, you get much better screen display but the
> battery life is still very good indeed.

>--
>For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert

Great tag! :-)

- Dugie
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 3:36:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:36:21 GMT, Dugie wrote:


> I've been told by a doctor friend who owns an M515, that there is a
> (Canadian) class action lawsuit in progress against Palm. The
> problem is that the m515 won't synch.
>
> Buying an m515 seems to be a bad idea. I've searched the net for this,
> but had not hits on a lawsuit.

Possibly because the lawsuit is in California (CA) and not Canada. An
easy mistake to make... unless there actually is a class action suit
going on in Canada.

Hemmingsen v. Palm, Inc.
Santa Clara Superior Court, Case No. CV815074
http://www.pdaesdsettlement.com/

--
Derek

"Divorce is where two adults take everything that matters to a
child---the child's home, family, security, and sense of being loved
and protected--and they smash it all up, leave it in ruins on the
floor, then walk out and leave the child to clean up the mess." --
Michael Reagan in "Twice Adopted" (2004).
December 18, 2004 11:31:22 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:lofygpz0udmt$.dlg@gwinn.us...
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:36:21 GMT, Dugie wrote:
<snip>
> Possibly because the lawsuit is in California (CA) and not Canada. An
> easy mistake to make... unless there actually is a class action suit
> going on in Canada.

I live in Canada, eh - we have great back bacon, snow but only in the winter :-), the Mounted Police (damn those
horse droppings), no hurricanes above class 2, and the Queen of England is no longer involved in approving our laws.

My friend has lived here for many years as well, and said he's involved in the lawsuit. He is, however, from the US,
and I don't know if he still retained his citizenship. As far as I know, he's still waiting for the results; I spoke
with him today.

> Hemmingsen v. Palm, Inc.
> Santa Clara Superior Court, Case No. CV815074
> http://www.pdaesdsettlement.com/
>

Thanks for the link, Derek. I can find nothing which states whether Canadian residents can or cannot join the
lawsuit.

- Dugie
Related resources
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 11:31:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:31:22 GMT, Dugie wrote:

> "Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:lofygpz0udmt$.dlg@gwinn.us...
>> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:36:21 GMT, Dugie wrote:
> <snip>
>> Possibly because the lawsuit is in California (CA) and not Canada. An
>> easy mistake to make... unless there actually is a class action suit
>> going on in Canada.
>
> I live in Canada, eh - we have great back bacon, snow but only in the winter :-), the Mounted Police (damn those
> horse droppings), no hurricanes above class 2, and the Queen of England is no longer involved in approving our laws.
>
> My friend has lived here for many years as well, and said he's involved in the lawsuit. He is, however, from the US,
> and I don't know if he still retained his citizenship. As far as I know, he's still waiting for the results; I spoke
> with him today.

That would be why I clarified. Not finding anything about court cases
in Canada doesn't mean that the court case doesn't exist.

Hedging my bets and all.


>> Hemmingsen v. Palm, Inc.
>> Santa Clara Superior Court, Case No. CV815074
>> http://www.pdaesdsettlement.com/
>>
>
> Thanks for the link, Derek. I can find nothing which states whether Canadian residents can or cannot join the
> lawsuit.
>
> - Dugie

You're welcome.

--
Derek

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
But it rocks absolutely, too.
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 11:31:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

There's a problem with the M515? Not doing a hotsync if you give it
an ESD zap while putting it in the cradle? What's wrong with just
trying again?
This doesn't sound any more annoying than the backlight turn-off
problem that occurs if it's been in the cradle for more than a minute
and has not been turned on whiel in the cradle. I'd like to see them
fix it, but it's not a big enough issue to warrant a lawsuit..

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:55:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 18-Dec-2004, Doug Warner <dwarner22@ccharter.net> Flushed this thought from
his brain to the screen::

> There's a problem with the M515? Not doing a hotsync if you give it
> an ESD zap while putting it in the cradle? What's wrong with just
> trying again?
> This doesn't sound any more annoying than the backlight turn-off
> problem that occurs if it's been in the cradle for more than a minute
> and has not been turned on whiel in the cradle. I'd like to see them
> fix it, but it's not a big enough issue to warrant a lawsuit..

What's wrong is that SUDS was a permanent HotSync death. I had one cradle
replaced for free by Palm during the middle of the problem... My m515 wasn't
affected.

WyreNut

--
If you had to ~run~ for your life, how long would you live?
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:13:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"WyreNut" <Me@home.biz> wrote:
>What's wrong is that SUDS was a permanent HotSync death.

It wasn't 'hotsync' death was it? Just USB hotsync death, as the serial hotsync
still worked.

And it wasn't 'permanent' was it? Palm had a fix that completely killed the
battery using a program they supplied on a SD card. (Although I think that was
kind of hard on the battery.) Another fix was to open the unit and unplug the
battery. (Probably the best way.) In any case the syndrome could be fixed by
removing the power, but there was no guarantee it wouldn't happen again, except
maybe to avoid sparks... 8-0

If a lawsuit is needed IMO it would be about caps... ;) 
December 19, 2004 12:15:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 06:13:39 GMT, AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> removed
the duct tape and proclaimed:

>If a lawsuit is needed <snip>

It's the American way...

--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 12:16:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 2004-12-18, Dugie <d_fren@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

> I live in Canada, eh - we have great back bacon, snow but only in
> the winter :-), the Mounted Police (damn those horse droppings), no
> hurricanes above class 2, and the Queen of England is no longer
> involved in approving our laws.

Hell she's no longer involved in approving *our* laws, just a figure
of fun these days, rolled out for the tourists and used to lend some
empty pomp to occasional government announcements.

Canada is supposed to be a damned fine country though, it's on my
short-list of places to emigrate to one day!

As for the M515 syncing, I've had two and while one broke, never had
any trouble syncing, it was one of Palm's better machines IMHO, the
last of the battery kings.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 12:16:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:16:58 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:

> As for the M515 syncing, I've had two and while one broke, never had
> any trouble syncing, it was one of Palm's better machines IMHO, the
> last of the battery kings.

Same here. I got an m500 because the color screen on the m505 just
wasn't worth it. The m515, on the other hand has been a treat.

Of course, the problem is that since it does everything I need it or
want it to do, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to ever justify
an upgrade.

--
Derek

Jeremy: Dad, can you give me your point of view?
Dad: Sure, Jeremy. On what?
Jeremy: It doesn't matter. I just feel like disagreeing with
something.

("Zits" comic strip, June 30, 2004)
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 8:25:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 2004-12-19, Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:

> Of course, the problem is that since it does everything I need it or
> want it to do, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to ever justify
> an upgrade.

The only justification that's possible, or in fact even required, in
such situations, is techno-lust ;-)

The reason I upgraded to my T3 was to do road navigation using a GPS,
and it was worth every penny even if the program I bought (Mapsonic)
is a PITA. It was all that was available at the time.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 8:57:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:25:55 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:

> On 2004-12-19, Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:
>
>> Of course, the problem is that since it does everything I need it or
>> want it to do, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to ever justify
>> an upgrade.
>
> The only justification that's possible, or in fact even required, in
> such situations, is techno-lust ;-)
>
> The reason I upgraded to my T3 was to do road navigation using a GPS,
> and it was worth every penny even if the program I bought (Mapsonic)
> is a PITA. It was all that was available at the time.

Oh, I've got plenty of Techno-lust, and that's the problem. There are
other things I'd rather spend the money on right now. :) 

--
Derek

"A real star, the kind who haunts my memory night and day is the U.S.
soldier in Baghdad who saw a little girl playing with a piece of
unexploded ordinance . . . He pushed her aside and threw himself on it
just as it exploded." - Ben Stein
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:22:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:vek74jqmdo7v.dlg@gwinn.us...
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:16:58 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>
>> As for the M515 syncing, I've had two and while one broke, never had
>> any trouble syncing, it was one of Palm's better machines IMHO, the
>> last of the battery kings.
>
> Same here. I got an m500 because the color screen on the m505 just
> wasn't worth it. The m515, on the other hand has been a treat.

This is sounding awfully familiar! :) 

> Of course, the problem is that since it does everything I need it or
> want it to do, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to ever justify
> an upgrade.

Aye, me too. Except I managed to break my cell 'phone so decided to give a
Tungsten W a go. Battery life is better than the m515, and it's a cell
'phone, although in comparison it is big and heavy...

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:22:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:22:48 -0000, DervMan wrote:

> "Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:vek74jqmdo7v.dlg@gwinn.us...
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:16:58 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>>
>>> As for the M515 syncing, I've had two and while one broke, never had
>>> any trouble syncing, it was one of Palm's better machines IMHO, the
>>> last of the battery kings.
>>
>> Same here. I got an m500 because the color screen on the m505 just
>> wasn't worth it. The m515, on the other hand has been a treat.
>
> This is sounding awfully familiar! :) 
>
>> Of course, the problem is that since it does everything I need it or
>> want it to do, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to ever justify
>> an upgrade.
>
> Aye, me too. Except I managed to break my cell 'phone so decided to give a
> Tungsten W a go. Battery life is better than the m515, and it's a cell
> 'phone, although in comparison it is big and heavy...

Now that's interesting... Break a cell phone, buy a new Palm. I might
have to use that logic some time.

--
Derek

"What happened?" -- Senator Joseph R. McCarthy upon getting publically
pantsed by Joseph N. Welch on national television.
December 20, 2004 12:19:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Doug Warner" <dwarner22@ccharter.net> wrote in message
news:i6i9s0hutlgkueqdhqvsa2klk0j11ek2sf@4ax.com...

This doesn't sound any more annoying than the backlight turn-off
problem that occurs if it's been in the cradle for more than a minute
and has not been turned on whiel in the cradle.

Good to know I'm not the only one seeing this backlight problem. (Hmm where
are the little >'s?).
December 20, 2004 1:25:48 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Ian Rawlings" <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message news:slrncsahoa.fmq.news05@gate-int.tarcus.org.uk...
> On 2004-12-18, Dugie <d_fren@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
> > hurricanes above class 2, and the Queen of England is no longer
> > involved in approving our laws.
>
> Hell she's no longer involved in approving *our* laws, just a figure

That's an understatemnet. :-)

> Canada is supposed to be a damned fine country though, it's on my
> short-list of places to emigrate to one day!

It's great here.

> As for the M515 syncing, I've had two and while one broke, never had
> any trouble syncing, it was one of Palm's better machines IMHO, the
> last of the battery kings.

I've heard good and bad about the m515. Confusing.

- Dugie
December 20, 2004 1:25:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:25:48 GMT, "Dugie" <d_fren@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
removed the duct tape and proclaimed:

>> Canada is supposed to be a damned fine country though, it's on my
>> short-list of places to emigrate to one day!
>
>It's great here.

It's f*&$^%' freezing here today.

--
I put 2 and 2 together and got 22.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:07:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 2004-12-19, Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote:

> Oh, I've got plenty of Techno-lust, and that's the problem. There are
> other things I'd rather spend the money on right now. :) 

And there's hardly a shortage of gadgets, we live in good times!!!

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 9:17:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:5p4888mty41$.dlg@gwinn.us...
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:22:48 -0000, DervMan wrote:
>
>> "Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message
>> news:vek74jqmdo7v.dlg@gwinn.us...
>>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:16:58 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>>>
>>>> As for the M515 syncing, I've had two and while one broke, never had
>>>> any trouble syncing, it was one of Palm's better machines IMHO, the
>>>> last of the battery kings.
>>>
>>> Same here. I got an m500 because the color screen on the m505 just
>>> wasn't worth it. The m515, on the other hand has been a treat.
>>
>> This is sounding awfully familiar! :) 
>>
>>> Of course, the problem is that since it does everything I need it or
>>> want it to do, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to ever justify
>>> an upgrade.
>>
>> Aye, me too. Except I managed to break my cell 'phone so decided to give
>> a
>> Tungsten W a go. Battery life is better than the m515, and it's a cell
>> 'phone, although in comparison it is big and heavy...
>
> Now that's interesting... Break a cell phone, buy a new Palm. I might
> have to use that logic some time.


:) 

Okay so as another condition of my getting the T|W I have to sell off my old
Palm collection (so that would be the Palm III, IIIxe, m500 and m515)...

Not quite as black and white as I made out I'm afraid...

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 9:17:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:17:31 -0000, DervMan wrote:

> "Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:5p4888mty41$.dlg@gwinn.us...
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:22:48 -0000, DervMan wrote:
>>
>>> "Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message
>>> news:vek74jqmdo7v.dlg@gwinn.us...
>>>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:16:58 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> As for the M515 syncing, I've had two and while one broke, never had
>>>>> any trouble syncing, it was one of Palm's better machines IMHO, the
>>>>> last of the battery kings.
>>>>
>>>> Same here. I got an m500 because the color screen on the m505 just
>>>> wasn't worth it. The m515, on the other hand has been a treat.
>>>
>>> This is sounding awfully familiar! :) 
>>>
>>>> Of course, the problem is that since it does everything I need it or
>>>> want it to do, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to ever justify
>>>> an upgrade.
>>>
>>> Aye, me too. Except I managed to break my cell 'phone so decided to give
>>> a
>>> Tungsten W a go. Battery life is better than the m515, and it's a cell
>>> 'phone, although in comparison it is big and heavy...
>>
>> Now that's interesting... Break a cell phone, buy a new Palm. I might
>> have to use that logic some time.
>
>
> :) 
>
> Okay so as another condition of my getting the T|W I have to sell off my old
> Palm collection (so that would be the Palm III, IIIxe, m500 and m515)...

"Sell off"? What do you mean "sell off"? Part with technology? NEVER!

> Not quite as black and white as I made out I'm afraid...

Few things really are. Even the Palm III had 4 shades of grey. :) 

--
Derek

Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is to just fire all of
the unhappy people.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 12:16:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:183o5l5izw429.dlg@gwinn.us...
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:17:31 -0000, DervMan wrote:
>
>> "Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message
>> news:5p4888mty41$.dlg@gwinn.us...
>>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:22:48 -0000, DervMan wrote:
>>>
>>>> "Derek" <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message
>>>> news:vek74jqmdo7v.dlg@gwinn.us...
>>>>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:16:58 +0000, Ian Rawlings wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> As for the M515 syncing, I've had two and while one broke, never had
>>>>>> any trouble syncing, it was one of Palm's better machines IMHO, the
>>>>>> last of the battery kings.
>>>>>
>>>>> Same here. I got an m500 because the color screen on the m505 just
>>>>> wasn't worth it. The m515, on the other hand has been a treat.
>>>>
>>>> This is sounding awfully familiar! :) 
>>>>
>>>>> Of course, the problem is that since it does everything I need it or
>>>>> want it to do, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to ever justify
>>>>> an upgrade.
>>>>
>>>> Aye, me too. Except I managed to break my cell 'phone so decided to
>>>> give
>>>> a
>>>> Tungsten W a go. Battery life is better than the m515, and it's a cell
>>>> 'phone, although in comparison it is big and heavy...
>>>
>>> Now that's interesting... Break a cell phone, buy a new Palm. I might
>>> have to use that logic some time.
>>
>>
>> :) 
>>
>> Okay so as another condition of my getting the T|W I have to sell off my
>> old
>> Palm collection (so that would be the Palm III, IIIxe, m500 and m515)...
>
> "Sell off"? What do you mean "sell off"? Part with technology? NEVER!

Thanks to www.pda.dervman.com, I'd kinda collected a few portable devices.
The trouble is that I can only use one or two as a routine, otherwise my
collection of portable devices fills a briefcase, which defeats the point of
them being portable, heh!

The Palm III has been sold. As has the IIIxe and the m515. I'm keeping the
m130, it's a great piece of kit for in-car use as an OBD-II Scanner. The
m500 is on loan to somebody so is effectively out of the house :)  and that
works for me.

>> Not quite as black and white as I made out I'm afraid...
>
> Few things really are. Even the Palm III had 4 shades of grey. :) 

LOL!

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com
!