php_professor

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
According to MBM and Hmonitor, my socket 775 3.2 GHz P4 CPU idles at 71 degrees celsius.

Can this be right? I'm using Arctic Silver 5 along with the stock heatsink/fan.

I had a 3.2 GHz socket 478 CPU that idled around 50 degrees with the stock HSF and 40 degrees with the Zalman HSF. How can there be such a difference? This fan is really fast and loud, too.

Thanks,
Matt

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
lol not many peopl have 775 procs yet :)
-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
Yeah I don't think your gonna find much basis for comparison here, I haven't seen anyone on here with that socket. I would say that it shouldn't run that hot but then... its intel.

AMD 64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
ATI AIW 9600XT
WD Raptor 74GB

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
Intel clearly says not to add additional themral paste, the stock Intel fan comes with a thermal pad and that is enough.

Adding more thermal paste is too much and can do more harm than good.

<A HREF="http://ftp://download.intel.com/business/ibp/071604/enu300k.wmv" target="_new">Click here for video guide</A>

===========================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

php_professor

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
I took that thermal pad off before applying arctic silver. It looked like a chunk of hot glue that had dried.

The funny thing is that my BIOS says the CPU idles around 48 degrees celsius....but then MBM says 72. I have a feeling MBM and Hmoniter are both wrong.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
The funny thing is that my BIOS says the CPU idles around 48 degrees celsius....but then MBM says 72. I have a feeling MBM and Hmoniter are both wrong.
Well, one of them most definitely is. Though I'd normally blame MBM, I've heard some (unconfirmed) rumors of LGA775 BIOSes artificially reducing their own temperature readouts in order to give the user a peace-of-mind placebo. MSI boards are especially suspect.

What model is your mobo?

<i>"Intel's ICH6R SouthBridge, now featuring RAID -1"

"RAID-minus-one?"

"Yeah. You have two hard drives, neither of which can actually boot."</i>

php_professor

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
I have the ECS 915P-A v1.1. I really like the way this board has an AGP slot *and* a PCI-Express slot. I also like the fact that it has dual channel DDR as well as dual channel DDR2. However, I may be switching to an MSI board soon.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
48C would seem more reasonable. I don't think MBM5 can keep up with the newer platforms, hence one of the reasons it's going away. The idea that Intel would cheat on BIOS temps to placate the masses is too ridiculous to be considered.

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I have the ECS 915P-A v1.1.
Hmmm. ECS apparently does not acknowledge the existence of this board revision on their website. They list the 1.2A rev, and I'm quite sure a 1.1A rev existed...just ECS apparently doesn't care to support it anymore?

I really like the way this board has an AGP slot *and* a PCI-Express slot.
Well, that's rather nice, but any AGP slot you find on an i915 board is going to be a bit crippled--it's actually hanging off the PCI bus on the southbridge and thus takes a performance hit.

I also like the fact that it has dual channel DDR as well as dual channel DDR2.
That's rather nice though. i915 chipset supports both memory types, but most mobo manufacturers only put in the physical slots for one. Apparently ECS is an exception.

48C would seem more reasonable. I don't think MBM5 can keep up with the newer platforms, hence one of the reasons it's going away. The idea that Intel would cheat on BIOS temps to placate the masses is too ridiculous to be considered.
Oh, I doubt Intel would cheat on temps...I just suspect some mobo manufacturers would. I do know that various mobos have had temperature inaccuracies that were fixed by a BIOS flash.

Prescotts--especially high-end LGA775 Prescotts--skate right by the edge of Intel's TDP envelope. Either temp might be considered reasonable.

<i>"Intel's ICH6R SouthBridge, now featuring RAID -1"

"RAID-minus-one?"

"Yeah. You have two hard drives, neither of which can actually boot."</i>

I had the same problem with an msi board. I changed to a sparkle power supply with the 12cm side fan, and the temps dropped by about 6-8 degrees celcius. The system runs alot more stable now. Best $35 I ever spent. My case is an old enlight desktop with poor air circulation. I flashed the bios, but the temps are still high (68c under load). So I think it's a motherboard bios issue that msi didn't fix.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
intel active monitor says it idles around 50c. that's probobly more accurate. and the fan idled at 2000 rpm's and i could barely hear it.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your CPU temp is bios will be slightly higher than what you will get at the desktop. I am running LGA774 3.4EE right now with stock heatsink @ 38c stock speed.

If you do not use the BTX case you should be using a better aftermarket heat sink. The original is designed to work with the aid duct and if that duct is not present the heat sink will not perform as well.

<A HREF="http://forum.vapochill.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7430" target="_new">One of my LGA775 machines on a modded Vapochill LS -60c</A>

I forgot to add, MBM monitor does not read correctly on new boards.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I forgot to add, MBM monitor does not read correctly on new boards.
###########################################################

I was hoping someone besides me knew that!

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

php_professor

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004
I just spoke with the author of Hmonitor. We changed some settings, and now it reports that my CPU idles at 30 degrees. Can this be right? I put the CPU under heavy load, and that value does behave as the CPU value should (rather than the mobo value).

I think I'm just gonna stop worrying about it...

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
a case having the air duct doesn't make it btx but if you have an intel p4@3ghz or more you should use a case with the duct.