Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Monitor or HDTV for Gaming?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 1, 2011 3:50:44 PM

Whats the opinion? I am guessing Monitor but just wanted to verify which is going to give the best experience. I see some HDTVs with lower than 5ms input now so wasnt sure if that might be way to go

Also if a monitor, should I go with an LED monitor over an LCD.. I would assume yes, but not sure with how video cards etc if I can apply same rules for HDTV to a monitor

More about : monitor hdtv gaming

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 1, 2011 4:14:28 PM

Most newer-model mainstream TVs and monitors all have 60Hz HDMI inputs while the output speed after processing is what is noted on the box; primarily 120Hz or 240Hz on TVs these days. You would get similar performance whichever you went with. I like the LED monitors or TVs better. It's all a matter of personal preference and how you want to arrange the furniture. I would think you'd go with something called a TV because it has a larger screen. While the smaller monitor, in my opinion, tends to give the whole thing a more personal feel.

The picture definitely differs from brand to brand. Go to the local electronics shops and check out the pictures. Try out the controls too. I've noticed a lot of shops will dull down the pictures of those units they aren't pushing while optimizing the screens of those they are pushing at a particular point in time. Playing with the settings allows you to optimize the picture.
August 1, 2011 4:24:20 PM

I should point out that this is only for gaming. I have a 55" HDTV already for watching tv. I just been using a 21" Trinitron monitor for 10 years, and while it still works great and I do like them, the contrast certainly suffers.

sounds like I need to go with an LED.

I had read about the different kinds, the Twisted Nematics (TN), IPS, and MVA technologies.

While they are cheaper, I do not want a TN monitor due to their poor color. Is there a way to see which technology each monitor is made on?

I am thinking about spending $300 to $500.

Seems like Viewsonic and Asus make the nice monitors and for a HDTV id go Samsung or Sony.
Score
Related resources
August 1, 2011 4:35:25 PM

ubercake said:
Check out this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/61095-3-suggestions-n...

jaguarskx always makes sense when it comes to monitors.

You may have to forgo the LED in order to get the IPS color quality in that price range.

Excellent! +1

Let me as your opinion. I am new to all this TN, IPS, MVA junk, so which would you personally suggest for gaming needs taking in consideration the price range?

And is there really that large of a viewing difference in quality between the techs. Keeping in mind im coming from a CRT Trinitron

What sort of difference is there between 8 and 6 bit?

Basically, educate me on what to look at when buying a monitor..

I had read that the type following by lag, followed by 60 to 120 hz would be the biggest 3 difference makers, but obviously there is more to this
Score
August 10, 2011 5:35:36 PM

CCFL LCD's will eventually die out and be replaced by the new and better LED LCD's which provide better picture quality and are more efficient, not to mention thinner.

So I'd go with an LED-LCD TV
Score
August 20, 2011 2:36:26 PM

Best answer selected by angry12345.
Score
a c 440 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
August 20, 2011 7:51:42 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!