Need some help choosing a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi everyone,
Hope you can help me.

In October I will start studying and I would like to purchase a new laptop.
My budget is up to $1000
The size should be 13-14 inches and up to 5 lbs
The screen resolution is not that important, however watching HD movies can be nice but not a priority
It should be portable
Battery life should be something in the region of 5 hours
No need of games
Mainly working with ms office and internet
Hard disk capacity isnt an issue
I would like to work with the laptop for 3-4 years

Tried to give as much information as the FAQ suggested
Thanks alot,
Khen

G

I just need it now because I have some more uses of it.
About the battery problem: as much battery life as possible is what I am looking for. HD movies isnt important.

I just need it now because I have some more uses of it.
About the battery problem: as much battery life as possible is what I am looking for. HD movies isnt important.

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge is light, has pretty much all the features you are looking for. I know someone who purchased one and I like the build quality. Keyboard is like an Apple, not the regular ThinkPad.

The model below looks to be on sale, and has a real graphics card.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=2018B26D9EFD42FD908ECF147D3CD2D0

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Hi there,

You should check out the Acer Aspire Timeline 3810t. It has up to 8 hours of battery life and only weighs 3.5 lbs. It also has a multi-gesture touchpad. The laptop doesn't have an optical drive, but that may not be an important feature for you since it meets most of your other specs.

What do you think?

Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I'd recommend cutting your budget in half. You can get some great deals nowadays and if your not gaming and want battery life than you can get either a i3 or some form of ULV laptop and have it do everything you want, and do it well. I fix laptops for a living and have decided that $550-$700 is the sweet spot. laptops don't consider their prices before they fail.

rpg123

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
If you aren't interested in movies or games, then a little netbook may be enough for you. If you want the bigger screen though, a budget laptop with a spare battery will cover your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.