Windows 7 Explorer.exe keeps restarting.

thefearofme

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
A friend of mine is having troubles with his Explorer.exe, cmd is not working as admin even though he is an admin. Restarts occur after 10 seconds of logon boot. Windows 7 32-bit Ultimate.

Cleaned registry, has no anti virus, any ideas?

Solution
Do you have an Autodesk program installed on the PC? If that is the case, try to unistall Autodesk 360 from the control panel. As a matter of instability of the same program installed on some versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8, ends up causing problems with explorer.exe, the most common is the constant restarting of the latter.

mpavao81

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

I had the exact same problem with windows 7 64 bit, explorer.exe would crash like crazy, if i tried to do anything else after it crashed it would crash again and again. Even doing a simple task of opening a folder would crash it again. I scanned for viruses with kaspersky/avg and found nothing, also scanned system with several different spyware programs( adaware/spybot search and destroy/spyware terminator/webroot spysweeper/Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware/ and used hyjack this) never found anything.
Even tried anti root kits,

In the end nothing helped, ended up resorting to reformating/reinstall windows 7 several times. Eventually stopped not sure why, could have been a driver conflict/issue.
I would try to update every driver on the system to the latest version. And maybe put all the latest drivers for your devices on a usb drive and reformat/reinstall windows and then put on all the latest drivers.

FuzzyGman

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

I beg to differ... In my situation, Windows Explorer will NOT stop resetting itself every 10-15 seconds no matter what has been tried, which is the following:

copied explorer.exe from a known good system (and yes, I know how to do this) over onto the failing system. Even renamed explorer.exe before copying the newer one. -- Results: did not correct problem

Ran ComboFix, but it ended up deleting suspected rogue files that I knew for a fact where not rogue. Nevertheless, I ran it twice to be sure. -- Problem not corrected.

Restored point applied: both one day before and six days before. -- Problem not corrected.

HJT deleted Xplorer.exe -- not sure what that was. It also deleted the reinstalled alleged rogue files (Evidence Eliminator). Then again, I ran HJT, but it installed RegRun Reanimator. Not sure what that was, but nevertheless... Problem not corrected

Problem also occurs in SAFE mode and also when I try to access the control panel, directories, or icons.

Fortunately, I have another computer that has the same configuration, which I am presently using in lieu of the ongoing problem with explorer.exe...

I also installed MalwareByte, but since it was not a purchased version, it only removed a certain amount, but did NOT fix the problem...

Basically, the only thing that I can think of doing is to backup my necessary files and reformat the f**ker!!!!

That is, unless anyone knows of a real fix that will correct this problem once and for all.....

Please advise...

Note: Running Windows 7 x64. All drivers current

lisamejia

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
You have got this one right. Tried all the same stuff and have decided to reformat the hard drive. But my question is will it work....??? How did this work for you? When you used your backed up files was the virus hiding somewhere in your backed up files? This stuff is really messed up.

niared

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
I had the explorer keep reloading, normal or safe mode, about every 5 seconds.

I disconnected all drives expect the primary. Boot from the DVD driver.
Use your windows installation disk.
Choose the repair option.
Choose system restore.
Restore a previous restore point.
Reboot.
My problem was solved, i connected up my other hard drives. :bounce:

sabeeh320

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
this problem is cause by install updates any one program of the system. i my survey/ and experience the REALPLAYER is mostly cause this problem. if you have real player in your system the uninstall and then restart your system ..hope so it solve your problem...Abdul Saboor Abbasi

aireetzu

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I've experience the same problem which is my windows explorer keep restarting when i trying to open certain folders. When i read your comment about the Real Player i realize that my windows keep restarting only when i try to open folder that contain video file. So i just follow your advise and uninstall REAL PLAYER from my system and amazingly my windows explorer works normally and did not restarting anymore. Thanks for your advice. :D

Nualp83

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
My sister had this same problem I refused to do a reformat so i ran some more checks eventually we ran a root killer program called Kapersky's TDSskiller and it found a root kit on her computer and cured it I Highly recommend Trying this before you reformat.

Adriel_555

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Do you have an Autodesk program installed on the PC? If that is the case, try to unistall Autodesk 360 from the control panel. As a matter of instability of the same program installed on some versions of Windows 7 and Windows 8, ends up causing problems with explorer.exe, the most common is the constant restarting of the latter.

Solution

jhei

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
i have been trying using the command prompt but failed again.. system restore is realy a big HELP..but in my case there are no saved points..well i gues there is a better solution before reformattng my drives.. cant even search the best remedy on google and utube. need help..i need my files---worst part it cant even be backed up:(

MR john

Reputable
Mar 17, 2015
it's better to restore your system, using the repair system, otherwise if it is not work just try to slave your HDD to other computer to back up your files, after that reformat your computer and booom, it's ok now!!! :D:p

cwe301

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
i strongly believe this is caused by either dll errors from installing programs like Fraps or Nvidia inspector or it is causes by installing burned games and having the nvidia control panel recognize them, than later deciding to purchase the game and after removing the burned one you had and installing the one you purchased causing confusion in your nvidia control panel which i have no idea how to fix because even reinstalling the drivers for your gpu it still recognizes the games the same way and i strongly thnk programs like Fraps cause this with ther dll files even when your not running the program the dll files cause issues