Computer not recognizing iPod

imj0257

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
I have a 6 month old computer with Windows 7 on it. Anyhow, I always use iTunes and backup/load songs from it to my iPhone 4 and 2nd gen iPod.

About a week ago is when I last was able to connect my iPod to itunes and load new songs. However now my computer no longer recognizes my iPod. I thought it was iTunes at fault but my computer still recognizes my iPhone no problem (with the same cord) and my computer also recognizes my gps watch with its own separate cord.

I've tried restarting my computer, unplugging it, using both USB ports but to no avail.

The ipod charges when plugged in to the computer but it just isn't being recognized (there are no removable storage devices showing in my computer either).

I opened device manager and it shows 2x Generic USB Hub, 2x Intel 6 Series...Hos Controller, 2x USB Root Hub, 1x USB Mass Storage Device. When I go to properties > details > hardware ids of the USB Mass Storage Device it shows USB\VID_0BDA&PID_158 and also USB\VID_0BDA&PID_158&REV_5888.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Solution
You can also try...

Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
You can also try...

Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Solution