SuSE and Microsoft

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
First time fielding a question like this so please be patient.

I've been toying with the idea since a friend of mine gave me a 6.2 version of Linux. Well, I finally got the system online. I'm writing this post through KDE's Konqueror. Never did get the 6.2 to run but I did get the 8.0Pro on a partition. I set Linux up so it'll only boot through the diskette. My BIOS is set up that way.
I didn't want Windows getting crazy on me and that leads directly to my question.

I've got 2 SeagateHDDs. A 17 and a 20 both @5400 and both partitioned @ moreorless 50/50. Did it with FAT32 under DOS. I loaded 98SE first got all the drivers and things updated and got it running.
Then I loaded Linux same thing. Got everything online on both systems. Reason I'm typing this through my Linux system is the fact that I can't get W98SE to boot. It'll flash the boot screen twice after the initial boot then the WINDOWS logo and HANG (MJ eat ur heart out!!! :eek:) ) I hit reset it'll go thru SAFE-MODE. I then run scandisk and restart same thing. I've even reinstalled 98SE after the Linux. Zilch!!! I thought it might have something to do with my RAM (got 896MB) so I turned it down to 512. Still the same thing. I don't want to FORMAT because that'll screw up Linux. I still need Windows because I've only been running Linux for about 4 days counting today. I like it by the way but there is so much more to research on it. Books I've got but in German and although I can read, write and understand the language, I still prefer english when it comes to the TECH stuff. I'd appreciate it if any1 has ideas.

Thanks,
VAGABOND

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it!

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm, I'm not too sure what the problem is, but you should just install LILO on the mbr. Let that do the OS management. LILO is specifically built to allow multiple boots, win98SE wasn't.

I don't know why everyone is so scared to let LILO or GRUB manage the boot loading. The people that seem to have problems are the ones who DON'T install them.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
thanks silverpig,

problem was windoze had a .vxd file missing that's why I couldn't get it to boot.

like I said in my initial POST, I've been on LINUX for about a week now so I'm newer than a noob. Figuring this thing out without someone's help is a bit of work. Come to think of it, I didn't get any help when I started with windows either.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It is definitely a bit slower when you learn yourself, but I think you learn better. That's how I learned.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Thanks for the input silverpig. It's slower per se because of the fact that I have to work. I still get a couple of hours in a night checking LINUX out when I'm not saving windoze from crashing.