Dell XPS 17 Webcam Buzzing

branflakes91093

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I'm not completely sure that this is the right forum and category, so sorry if it isn't.

I recently purchased a new Dell XPS 17, and it has a webcam and mic built right into the bezel above the screen (like most laptops do). The problem is that when the webcam is being used, it produces a weird buzzing noise that is extremely noticeable when using the microphone. I first noticed this when video chatting on Skype - my friend pointed it out to me.

When the webcam is off, any sound recorded with the microphone sounds fine. It is very difficult/impossible to hear the noise with my own ear. It is only audible through microphone recordings.

I was just wondering if this is a normal noise that webcams cause, seeing that the microphone is only an inch or so away from it, or if there is a problem.

Here's a link to download a .wma recording of the sound. The first 6 seconds were recorded with the webcam on, and the last 6 with it off.

Thanks for reading.

xdm9

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I'm having the exact same problem with my Dell XPS 17. Same exact sound while recording with the webcam. When I talked to Dell, their response was to send someone out to replace the webcam. What a nightmare that was. The service tech not only didn't replace the webcam like he was supposed to, but he damaged my case while taking my system apart. When I tried to show the service tech what I was talking about, he said he could not hear the sound. At lease Dell replaced the damaged part. So, I'm back to square one.

Have you had better luck solving this issue?

Also, have you had the problem a lot of XPS users are reporting with their USP 3.0 ports? They just stop working at random times. Seems to be a problem with the driver. I updated mine. So far, I think that has fixed it.

branflakes91093

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the techs, I feared that something like that would happen to me so I just didn't bother to call. I guess it's just a slight annoyance on an otherwise awesome laptop.

The only remedy that I've found to work best is to hit the waves audio button and turn on "Andrea Microphone Technology" with the preset "Noise Reduction." I also turned down the boost to 0db. Unfortunately, the sound is still noticeable, but it's not as monstrous.

About the USB3.0 slots: No, I haven't had any problems with them so far, but I don't use them too often. I didn't download any new drivers for them, but I did update my BIOS to A12.

There's one more thing that kind of annoys me. When you right-click your desktop, do you hear a short buzzing noise, comparable to a bird chirping? I've found that anything pertaining to the Intel graphics control center makes a buzzing noise come from inside the laptop, under the keyboard. The sound is more noticeable when right-clicking the desktop, hitting "Graphics Properties," and then clicking the "Options and Support" tab on the left. However minuscule this problem is, it still seems to annoy the crap out of me. I'm not positive if it (what I believe to be the processor) is supposed to make this noise.

Sorry I'm getting back to you so late.