Sign in with
Your question

Laptop won't boot - how do i know which part is wrong

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
July 7, 2010 2:41:12 PM

Hello,
I have a ECS CN5560.
It was working fine and then decided not to boot properly anymore.
I can access set up menus.
How do i go about finding which part has gone wrong? I tried a diffrent hard drive which i know is good with the same things happening. The best i can get is the screen to decidehow to boot, but then it locks after initiating the boot.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

More about : laptop boot part wrong

a c 209 D Laptop
July 7, 2010 4:50:59 PM

Is the hard drive seen by the BIOS? What is the exact issue during boot? Do you see Windows try to load then just crash? Any error messages?
July 8, 2010 11:39:46 AM

Thanks for replying.
When i power on it flicks up the first screen for a second and i can see something that ends with S.M.A.R.T Capable but Disabled.
Then it beeps once and goes to the start up options screen but whichever i choose it locks up.

It has before gone to different screens where i have seen things such as FDC failure, and i know the CMOS battery is low but would that make much difference to starting?

The hard drive is detectable but i have to go into setup and tell it to auto detect it, but it does straight away and how big it is.

Very occasionally i will see the XP load screen but becoming rarer.

I hope all that makes sense! I'd hate to get rid of it if it is easily fixable.

Thanks.
Related resources
a c 209 D Laptop
July 8, 2010 2:31:26 PM

borgax said:
Thanks for replying.
When i power on it flicks up the first screen for a second and i can see something that ends with S.M.A.R.T Capable but Disabled.
Then it beeps once and goes to the start up options screen but whichever i choose it locks up.

It has before gone to different screens where i have seen things such as FDC failure, and i know the CMOS battery is low but would that make much difference to starting?

The hard drive is detectable but i have to go into setup and tell it to auto detect it, but it does straight away and how big it is.

Very occasionally i will see the XP load screen but becoming rarer.

I hope all that makes sense! I'd hate to get rid of it if it is easily fixable.

Thanks.

See if you can find a BIOS update to the system you can load via a boot CD/floppy. I don't think the battery being low would be an issue, as long as the laptop is always plugged in, you will be fine.
July 9, 2010 6:08:33 PM

It is actually a ECS A928 not what i'd said before, i'm learning slowly!!

Thanks again for response.
!