XP-M shuts down under load

newsance

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
I need some help diagnosing what the issue is here.

I recently purchased a XP-M to upgrade my home system. I am really happy with this, as it overclocks effortlessly to 2.3 ghz. Probably further, but thats the multiplier limit with a 166 FSB (I'm using slower ram).

Anyways, I'm having an issue where under high loads, the system powers off and will not restart. It will only restart after the system is unplugged for 10 seconds.

At first, it was doing this at the base processor speed of 800 mhz, even while I was adjusting things in the BIOS. Now, it only does it when running at a 100% utilization for 2-3 minutes straight.

I was thinking at first this was a power supply issue, but all my voltages look good, and I am told that what I am doing is well within the limits of my enermax 431 watt PSU.

So is this a thermal issue? For a processor overheat, will it hard power off the system? I am thinking that I may have an inadequate cooling for it.

Idle temps are around 44*C. Full load brings it up to 56-58*C, and then it shuts down. I am thinking that the actual temps may be higher than what reported.

Any thoughts?

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
Restore the clockrate to default.

431w power supply can handle a lot more demand.

===========================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

newsance

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
I've tried clocking it down to "stock" with no difference.

And a memory crash wouldn't cause it to HARD power down. It would just hang.

I'm thinking this is thermal protection going on.

Temps could vary some from what it is showing, but they would have to be way off to cause the thermal shutdown to kick in.

What board are you using? Which XP-M chip are you using?

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>
Overclocking Results: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc2.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc2.html</A>

endyen

Splendid
It sounds like the old crack in the board problem. When heated, cracks in cct boards tend to widen, and will often short.
Usually, needing time to restart, is caused by the switching power supply seeing a short circuit. Ther are a number of cct boards in computers. The first place to check would be psu. Got a spare?

newsance

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
It was heat related. I bought a quality HSF and the issue went away. Temps are about the same at idle, but don't get above 50C when in use. No shutdown issues.

Chappin21

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2004
What kind of heatsink do you have? do you have some arctic silver or generic grease? is there enough air running through your case? how many fans are there intake/ out-take? What kind of ram do you have cause hot ram does reboot the system? what kind of video card do you have and does it run hot?

OK start here if you dont have any arctic silver then you really need to get some, alumina is cheaper, and just as good, and if you dont have a copper heatsink, get one Dynatron from newegg the 37.9 CFM one for 9.99 or led one for 10.99 cant beat that, i have it and man is it good, if you have some fans in your case that are at less then 36CFM then your overclock can cause heat as well and you need no less then 2 even three 36 CFM fans one pushing air in and one pulling it out, if you have generic ram what you have to do is set lets say the FSB to 100MHZ (Double pumped bus to 200MHZ) and synch the memory to 100MHZ as well (DDR200) and burn it in for a while until you can get it to the rated speed, and up it by .1 or maybe even .2 volts that should do some good, and always find out what is the highest Volts that the Ram Manufacturer offers a warranty for, for example mine says up to 2.9, the highest i ever will be allowed to push it to is 2.8 for safety, and 2.9 because it is still covered if it burns out at the rate, and check out how hot your video card is getting cause well I have the 5700Ultra, and that baby got hot cause of the generic cooling it had on the back.

I hope i didnt write to much, but i just thought if imma give you some advise might as well make it as good as possible, and always Remember:

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO SOMETHING DO IT RIGHT!!!!
this not directed at you im just a fan of my own practice:)

I dont Hate Intel, I just only Buy AMD, DUH!!!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Your PSU is sufficient for your needs. If that CPU breaks over 60C, it will tank out on you. Hmm wat mobo are you using? May have a temp gaurd on it that will scram the system is a specific level has been breached.

Naturally the more load the cpu get, the more instructions it has to spit out thus more heat. If full load is giving RECORDED max temp of 58c then you really need to put better cooling solution in. What HSF do you have on the CPU?

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A crack would cause an OPEN circuit, not a SHORT circuit. SHORT means the circuit is grounded before it completes the planned rout.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Usually, the open is not large enough to stop current flow. But it is large enough for carbon tracking. That's where dust conducts to a dissimilar charge, causing a short cct. Where the board is under stress, usually because of a heavy component, an open can also occure, but that doesn't normally shut down a switching power supply.

newsance

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2002
I'm now using a thermaltake (sp) full copper HS with a 4000 rpm 80 mm fan that pushes around 30 cfm.

As far as other fans, there is an 80 mm case fan on the side blowing air out, and a 120mm fan on the bottom of the P/S blowing air from the CPU area into the power supply, then out the back through another 80 mm fan. I'm probably going to add an "in" fan on the back of the case at the CPU.