Painfully slow boot up

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Pentium B980
8gb ddr3
500gb hdd

I use my laptop for music creation, Dj'ing and web browsing.

I have XP pro on one partion, Windows 7 on another, then a partion where I keep music files only, This is so I don't have 2 of each song, and they can be accessed from what ever os im running.

I use XP for for my DJ software, alone. THats the only program installed, and apart from my video and sound drivers that's it!

On windows 7 I have installed the following:

iTunes
Fruity loops
Trend micro
Firefox
Office

and ALL the drivers necessary for my laptop to function.

Xp is like lightning, which it will be, but when I boot, 7 loads, and i ttakes quite literally 5 minutes before I can use it. I know it doesn't sound much but it really drags.

In start up all I have are the necessary drivers for my laptop to function ,and my anti virus, THATS IT

Any one have an idea as to whats causing this?!?! Thanks

mi1ez

Splendid
I assume you defrag regularly?

What order are the partitions listed in disk manager? The inside of a HDD platter has a lower data rate than the outer (as I recall)

digitalmicron

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
The reason why xp boots alot faster than 7 is because of a couple of things. Xp is a lighter OS than 7 so it naturally boots faster. You have also installed alot more on your windows 7 partition than XP. If you want to check out what is starting up on your computer, click start -> Run -> msconfig.exe From there look under the startup tab. That'll tell you what is starting up. You can disable things that don't need to start automatically with your system

Hope this helps.

Rob

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
never defragged as both the installs of Os's and the laptop its self is a week old,

Untitled.jpg

marsay001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

I have ran msconfig, its stated in my original post, and only drivers and anti virus are loaded at start up, My windows 8 pc boots a lot faster than than XP, and 8 isn't lighter than 7

something is stopping 7 from booting up fast, perhaps it is the way iv partioned the drives