Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Installing WinXP, driver install

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2004 8:18:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

We plan on formatting and reinstalling the OS soon. Is there any particular
order in which the drivers should be installed?

Brian
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2004 8:18:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Brian,

Yes. Install motherboard chipset drivers absolutely first before anything else.
This is a good rule of thumb to follow for the install of any Windows release.
If the mobo drivers for your system (A Dell?) are on the Windows XP CD, you need
not do extra heavy lifting... Ben Myers

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 04:18:38 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_
remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>We plan on formatting and reinstalling the OS soon. Is there any particular
>order in which the drivers should be installed?
>
>Brian
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2004 10:40:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:40d3be4b.18927371@news.charter.net...
> Brian,
>
> Yes. Install motherboard chipset drivers absolutely first before anything
else.

Indeed, depending on the OS and motherboard the OS CD may well have them
already or you may need to download them.

The latter is true for 8300 Dims.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2004 11:04:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It's a Dell 8300 P4 3.2



<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:40d3be4b.18927371@news.charter.net...
> Brian,
>
> Yes. Install motherboard chipset drivers absolutely first before anything
else.
> This is a good rule of thumb to follow for the install of any Windows
release.
> If the mobo drivers for your system (A Dell?) are on the Windows XP CD,
you need
> not do extra heavy lifting... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 04:18:38 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_
> remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >We plan on formatting and reinstalling the OS soon. Is there any
particular
> >order in which the drivers should be installed?
> >
> >Brian
> >
> >
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2004 11:49:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

All the drivers can be found on the Drivers CD that came with the system. It
is recommended that they be installed in this order:

Chipset Drivers
Video Card
Sound Card
Modem
Network Card
Keyboard & Mouse (if applicable)
Applications

The CD will take a look at your system, but it's best to know what you have.
A copy of the invoice would do that.
If you search Dell's Knowlege Base you can get detailed instructions, if
needed.


"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:QzRAc.42365$sj4.29702@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> It's a Dell 8300 P4 3.2
>
>
>
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> news:40d3be4b.18927371@news.charter.net...
> > Brian,
> >
> > Yes. Install motherboard chipset drivers absolutely first before
anything
> else.
> > This is a good rule of thumb to follow for the install of any Windows
> release.
> > If the mobo drivers for your system (A Dell?) are on the Windows XP CD,
> you need
> > not do extra heavy lifting... Ben Myers
> >
> > On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 04:18:38 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_
> > remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >We plan on formatting and reinstalling the OS soon. Is there any
> particular
> > >order in which the drivers should be installed?
> > >
> > >Brian
> > >
> > >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 19, 2004 3:47:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I tried looking for that earlier this week and couldn't find it in their
knowledge base. Or at least not exactly what I was looking for.

I had to reformat my 8300 back in March and after talking to two Dell techs,
I figured out what to do to make it work. What I was looking for and wish I
could duplicate was the order and sequence that I did everything from start
to finish. Once you have the hard drive reformatted and the OS installed,
it really is a piece of cake from there on. But getting to that point where
the drive is formatted and then ready to install the Windows XP was a chore.

What got me was the fact that I have a Zip Drive installed in the case as my
normal D: drive and for some reason when the program reformatted, it made
the Zip Drive C: and the actual hard drive D:, which wasn't apparently until
I had driven this Indian tech nuts trying to figure out why the drivers
wouldn't load onto the C: drive. That is when we realized what had happened
and I had to redo the whole process, but first had to go into the BIOS and
disable the booting sequence so the hard drive would become the C: drive and
the Zip would become the D: drive.


"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:10d8a214u215k91@corp.supernews.com...
> All the drivers can be found on the Drivers CD that came with the system.
It
> is recommended that they be installed in this order:
>
> Chipset Drivers
> Video Card
> Sound Card
> Modem
> Network Card
> Keyboard & Mouse (if applicable)
> Applications
>
> The CD will take a look at your system, but it's best to know what you
have.
> A copy of the invoice would do that.
> If you search Dell's Knowlege Base you can get detailed instructions, if
> needed.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 20, 2004 7:29:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

What do the Chipset drivers do? For example, do you notice any difference if
they aren't installed.

Brian



"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:y8PAc.37160$sj4.7408@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> We plan on formatting and reinstalling the OS soon. Is there any
particular
> order in which the drivers should be installed?
>
> Brian
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 20, 2004 9:23:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Motherboard chipset provide the lowest level access and control to the hardware
that controls IDE channelsand various and sundry system control functions like
system sleep mode, timers, etc. Without them, the system will run, but not
nearly at peak performance. Often, unless the chipset drivers are installed,
other dependent functions like on-board video and USB will not work at all.

For Intel chipsets on most any brand of motherboards, use the chipset drivers
from the Intel web site and you won't go wrong. Same for Via and SiS chipsets,
the two other competing motherboard chipsets.

It used to be way back when that a name brand manufacturer such as Compaq could
convince a chipset supplier to deliver a chip slightly different from the
standard offering. No more. Steady vicious price competiton has made sure of
that... Ben Myers

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 03:29:44 GMT, "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_
remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks to everyone for your replies.
>
>What do the Chipset drivers do? For example, do you notice any difference if
>they aren't installed.
>
>Brian
>
>
>
>"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:y8PAc.37160$sj4.7408@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>> We plan on formatting and reinstalling the OS soon. Is there any
>particular
>> order in which the drivers should be installed?
>>
>> Brian
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 20, 2004 10:09:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Are SATA drivers needed at any stage?

Brian
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 20, 2004 10:20:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

<ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
news:40d51e0a.30340102@news.charter.net...
> Motherboard chipset provide the lowest level access and control to the
hardware
> that controls IDE channelsand various and sundry system control functions
like
> system sleep mode, timers, etc. Without them, the system will run, but
not
> nearly at peak performance. Often, unless the chipset drivers are
installed,
> other dependent functions like on-board video and USB will not work at
all.
>
> For Intel chipsets on most any brand of motherboards, use the chipset
drivers
> from the Intel web site and you won't go wrong.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1667.html also hosts the latest Intel
chipset drivers (1st May)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 20, 2004 10:56:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

That date would be regarded as Jan 05 in Australia. You feel it's May?



> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1667.html also hosts the latest Intel
> chipset drivers (1st May)
>
>
June 20, 2004 4:44:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Only if you have SATA hard drives, in which case you have to install them
whilst installing Win XP when it asks if you have any thirds party drivers
press F6
"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o S9Bc.45375$sj4.41997@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Are SATA drivers needed at any stage?
>
> Brian
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 20, 2004 8:02:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ZyaBc.45455$sj4.7240@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> That date would be regarded as Jan 05 in Australia. You feel it's May?
>

For sure but if there's any doubt then

http://download.guru3d.com/intel/

is even better and definitely bang upto date - the chipset INF utility
version there is 6.0.1.1002
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 21, 2004 1:26:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Actually we rarely use a date format like this so there would likely be
several interpretations other than mine.



"The Social Outcast" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
news:eyiBc.973$ET4.8569922@news-text.cableinet.net...
>
> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4_ remove_this_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ZyaBc.45455$sj4.7240@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > That date would be regarded as Jan 05 in Australia. You feel it's May?
> >
>
> For sure but if there's any doubt then
>
> http://download.guru3d.com/intel/
>
> is even better and definitely bang upto date - the chipset INF utility
> version there is 6.0.1.1002
>
>
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 21, 2004 10:20:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Brian K wrote:

> That date would be regarded as Jan 05 in Australia. You feel it's May?

"1st May" is interpreted as "Jan 05" in Australia - are you all insane?

>>http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1667.html also hosts the latest Intel
>>chipset drivers (1st May)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 26, 2004 1:06:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Southern Hemisphere - upside down.



"Vince McGowan" <SPAMvincemcg@nada.com> wrote in message
news:D GFBc.88767$V57.13557786@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
> Brian K wrote:
>
> > That date would be regarded as Jan 05 in Australia. You feel it's May?
>
> "1st May" is interpreted as "Jan 05" in Australia - are you all insane?
>
> >>http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1667.html also hosts the latest Intel
> >>chipset drivers (1st May)
>
!