Y KV8 Pro-3rd Eye has 1Ghz FBS?

endyen

Splendid
The new A64s support a hypertransport of 1 gig each way, so they call it 2 gigs bi-directional. It's the same as saying that pc3200 runs at 400mhz.
In other words, the new standard for HTT is a thousand cycles per second, but it gets used twice per cycle (max)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, calling it 1000MHz is like calling PC3200 400MHz. Calling it 2000MHz is like telling someone highways in the state of michigan have a 140MPH speed limit because traffic moves both ways, it's an outright lie and there's no way to rationalize it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
You got that right Crash. I've had some heated discussions with people who say the xp3200+ has a 400mhz FSB. So, i guess if thier fsb is 400, and thier multiplier is 11, thier chip runs at 4.4 gigs. Now that would be fast, but it just isn't so.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
you could apply the same thing to pci-e, where they often quote the total bandwidth as the combined values in both directions.

its jsut antoher way for marketing new tech lol

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Completely different: I let them slide on the DDR400 thing being "400MHz" sometimes because, since data is sent 2x per clock cycle, 200MHz clock rate provides a 400MHz data rate. 400 mega transfers per second.

That can't be said of the "2000MHz" Hypertrasport lie, because your upstream and downstream are never being utilized equally. (so it's never 2x full-duplux as fast as it would be if it were only half-duplux).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Doesn't work for me. Hz or hertz, is cycles per second. I cycle is 360 degrees, no more, and no less. No north bridge made today, could deal with that kind of frequency. Maybe I'm too much of a purist.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know, that was my main argument against using data rate as "frequency" too. You can hook up an osciliscope and see clock frequency. But the data transfers cycle too, initiate-end-initiate-end, so eventually the marketing name supporters get you to conceed. What's the clock speed for a 1000HT signal?