Sign in with
Your question

Preparing automatic repair - Boot issues, please help!

Last response: in Windows 7
December 7, 2012 1:14:40 PM

Hello! I've been trying to fix my damn laptop for the past 3 days, and I am out of ideas. I have a Vaio running Windows 7 initially on 500GB HDD, but I also partitioned about 30GB to test Windows 8 - that was weeks ago so I don't think it's the issue.

While loitering the internet my computer suddenly froze of movement then blue screened with text (I'm not sure of what it said) so I restarted and now Windows 7 or 8 doesn't boot, it gets to a "Preparing automatic repair" message and hangs for a very long time.

Fast forward to right now:-
1. I turn on the laptop, to the Vaio logo.
2. Then Boot manager appears with either Windows 8 or 7 as options.
3. Click Windows 7 for example and am given two options, 'Launch Startup Repair (recommended)' or 'Start Windows Normally'.
3. a. Select 'Launch Startup Repair' and I get the "Preparing automatic repair' message, then the Windows loading bar appears for about a second, then I'm met with a blue wallpaper with a leaf where it hangs.
3. b. Select to start Windows 7 normally and I get a brief, "Preparing automatic repair" message and then cuts to a black screen, then hangs to a blue wallpaper with a leaf on the right.

Everything is very slow to load, When I had gotten to System Recovery Options I selected Startup Repair and left it for 23 hours before I figured it simply wasn't working and I shut it down.

1. When I boot from a Windows 7 disk it loads the install window giving me "Install now" or "Repair your computer".
2. I really, really, do not want a clean install so I select repair. It hangs at the blue wallpaper again.
3. After waiting it gives me 'System Recovery Options' with Window 8 and Windows 7. Worryingly Windows 7's partition size is apparently 0MB.
4. After more waiting it is now showing, "Searching for Windows installations..."

I really couldn't give a *** about Windows 8, I just need to get my files from the palace that is Windows 7 then - hopefully - reinstall it. I was inbetween backups, so there is stuff I utterly must regain.

So, patrons of Tom's Hardware, can you honestly please help me save my ***. I am genuinely worried. And will be over the moon if I could just retrieve my things.

Thank you very much, I will do everything you recommend. :sweat: 
December 7, 2012 1:59:28 PM

Can you remove the drive and use an external enclosure or gadget like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
To get your files from the disk? If so does your Vaio have a recovery partition that would let you restore it to factory settings? That would be my next step. If it doesn't have that, go ahead and use your Win7 install DVD.
Related resources
!