Disk Management - New Partition option Greyed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

I want to use the Disk Managment utility to partition my second Hard Drive
on
my new Dell Dimension D4600 XP Home PC.

When I open up Disk Management and click on the Unallocated space of the
new Hard Drive (Disk 1 Unknown 149GB Not Initialized), I get a pull down
menu
with these 3 options:

New Partition...
Properties
Help

The first choice, New Partition is greyed out.

What do I need to do?

I am the Administrator by default. I have not setup any passwords.
WinXP Home boots up without asking for any password.
I am the only user on this computer.

Best regards,

Tapas

Initialize the disk. Right click on Disk 1 (if that is the disk you want to
partition) and select Initialize. Now you can partition.

Rocky

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> Initialize the disk. Right click on Disk 1 (if that is the disk you want
> partition) and select Initialize. Now you can partition.
>
> Rocky

Thanks a million Rocky!!!

That was indeed the solution to my problem. Thanks for your speedy response.

If any one is interested, I took notes of the entire process while
partitioning my new hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4600
WinXP Home PC.

I bought a Samsung SP1604N 160GB Hard Drive (Ultra ATA 133, 7200RPM)
and installed it as my Primary Slave HD.

Primary IDE Channel
-------------------
Primary Master HD = Western Digital WD800 80GB [C:]
Primary Slave HD = Samsung SP1604N 160GB

Secondary IDE Channel
---------------------
Secondary Master = CDROM Teac DVD+RW Model DV-58E [D:]
Secondary Slave = Empty

After the Samsung HD is installed and the computer is powered on, XP detects
the new hardware: Samsung HD found.

Device Manger reports the new Hard Drive

| Start | Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manger | Disk Drives |

SAMSUNG SP1604N
WDC WD800BB-75FJA1

System Information reports the new device

| Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information |
Components | Storage | Disks

Manufacturer: Samsung SP1604N
Size: 149.05 GB (160,039,272,960 bytes)

Manufacturer: Western Digital
Model: WDC WD800BB-75FJA1
Size: 74.50 GB (79,999,073,280 bytes)

I wanted to partition my new 160 GB Hard Drive as follows:

E: 20 GB, NTFS, (For installing Programs)
F: 16 GB, FAT32 (For all data files)
G: 16 GB, FAT32 (For all data files - Mirror Image of F)
H: 108 GB, NTFS (For large video files)

I used Disk Management to Partition the new hard drive

| Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management |
Storage |
Disk Management

Disc 0 Basic 74.50 GB This is your original Western Digital C: drive

Disc 1 Basic 149.05 GB Uninitialized! This is your new Hard Drive.

Right Click on Disk 1 to Initialize

Right Click on the Unallocated space (Black Bar) to display this menu:

New Partition
Properties
Help

Select New Partition

Welcome to the New Partition Wizard
-----------------------------------

This wizard helps you create a partition on a basic disk.

A basic disk is a physical disk that contains:
Primary partitions
Extended partitions
Logical drives within extended partitions

You can use any version of Windows or MS-DOS to gain access to partitions on
basic discs.

[Next]

Select Partition Type
---------------------
There are 3 types of partitions:
Primary
Extended
Logical

Select the partition you want to create

Primary
Extended

a basic disk. Windows and other operating systems can start from a primary
partition. You can create up to 4 Primary partitions or (3 Primary
partitions + 1 Extended partition)

An extended partition is a portion of a Master Boot Record (MBR) basic disk
that can contain logical drives.
Use and Extended partition if you want to have more than 4 volumes on your
MBR basic disk.

Select Extended

[Next]

Specify Partition Size
----------------------

Choose a partition size that is between the maximum and minimum sizes

Max disk space = 152625 MB
Min disk space = 8 MB

Partition size = 152625 MB

Select this default full size. You want to make the Extended partition span
the whole disk.

[Next]

Completing the New Partition Wizard
----------------------------------
You have selected:
Partition Type: Extended partition
Disk selected: Disk 1
Partition size: 152625 MB

[Finish]

Now you see a green bar for Disk 1 showing 149.04 GB of Free Space

Right Click on the Green bar. You will see a drop down menu with 3 choices:

New Logical Drive
Delete Partition
Help

Select New Logical Drive

Welcome to the New Partition Wizard
-----------------------------------
[Next]

Select Partition Type
----------------------
Select the partition you want to create

Chose Logical Drive

partition on a Master Boot Record (MBR) basic disk.

[Next]

Specify Partition Size
----------------------
Max disk space = 152618 MB
Min disk space = 8 MB

Partition size = 21546

[Next]

Assign Drive Letter or Path
---------------------------
For easier access you can assign a drive letter or drive path to your
partition

Assign the following drive letter = E

[Next]

Format Partition
-----------------
To store data on this partition you must format it first

Choose whether you want to format this partition and if so what setting you
want to use

Do not format this partition
* Format this partition with the following settings
File System = NTFS NTFS/FAT32

Allocation unit size = Default
(Choices are 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32k, 64k)

Volume Label: Programs

Perform a quick format = Yes
Enable file and folder compression = No

[Next]

Completing the New Partition Wizard
-----------------------------------
You have selected the following settings:
Partition type: Logical Drive
Disk selected: Disk 1
Partition size: 21546 MB
Drive letter: E:
File System: NTFS
Allocation unit size: Default
Volume label: Programs
Quick format: Yes

[Finish]

The newly created E: drive shows up in Blue
Screen says Formatting.
After a few minutes it reads:
Programs (E:)
21.04 GB NTFS
Healthy

Now you need to divide the remaining free space (128 GB) into 3 additional
Logical drives:
F = 16 GB Data FAT32
G = 16 GB Data2 FAT32
H = 96 GB Images NTFS

Right Click on the Green bar (Free Space on Disk 1)

Select New Logical Drive

[Next]

Select Partition Type
----------------------
Logical Drive

[Next]

Specify Partition Size
----------------------
Partition size = 15968 MB

Assign Drive Letter

Assign the following drive letter = F

[Next]

Format Partition
-----------------
Format this partition with the following settings
File System = FAT32
Allocation unit size = Default

Volume Label = Data1
Perform a quick format = Yes

[Next]
[Finish]

Wait for a few minutes while it is formatting.
When finished, the bar turns blue and the new Logical drive reads:

Data1 (F:)
15.6 GB FAT32
Healthy

Now you are ready to create Logical Drive G:

Right Click on the Green bar (Free Space on Disk 1)

Select New Logical Drive

[Next]

Select Partition Type
---------------------
Logical Drive

[Next]

Specify Partition Size
----------------------
Partition size = 15968 MB

Assign Drive Letter

Assign the following drive letter = G

[Next]

Format Partition
----------------
Format this partition with the following settings
File System = FAT32
Allocation unit size = Default
Volume Label = Data2
Perform a quick format = Yes

[Next]
[Finish]

Wait for a few minutes while it is formatting.
When finished, the bar turns blue and the new Logical drive reads:

Data2 (G:)
15.6 GB FAT32
Healthy

Finally, you are ready to make the remaining free space = Logical drive H

Right Click on the Green bar (Free Space on Disk 1)

Select New Logical Drive

[Next]

Select Partition Type

Logical Drive

[Next]

Specify Partition Size

Maximum Disk space = 99128 MB
Minm disk space = 8 MB

Partition size = 99128 MB

Assign Drive Letter

Assign the following drive letter = H

[Next]

Format Partition

Format this partition with the following settings
File System = NTFS
Allocation unit size = Default
Volume Label = Images
Perform a quick format = Yes
Enable file and folder compression = No

[Next]
[Finish]

Wait for a few minutes while it is formatting.
When finished, the bar turns blue and the new Logical drive reads:

Data1 (H:)
96.80 GB NTFS
Healthy

Notes:

1. The Programs were installed on the second hard drive for faster access.
This way the Master disk has the OS on Drive C: at the very outer edge for
fastest access.
The Slave disk has the Programs installed on Logical Drive E: at the very
outer edge for faster access.

2. Logical Drives F:(Data1) and G:(Data2) were formatted as FAT32 to make
them readable across the network by the older Dell machines running Win98SE

3. The Logical Drive H:(Images) was formatted as NTFS to support the large
video files (greater than 2GB)

Hope this information helps someone!

Best regards,

Tapas

Hi Tapas and Rocky.
I had exactly the same problem and your solution worked a treat. Many
(160gb) thanks
Cyclops

--
Cyclops