Closed

Disk Management - New Partition option Greyed Out

I want to use the Disk Managment utility to partition my second Hard Drive
on
my new Dell Dimension D4600 XP Home PC.

When I open up Disk Management and click on the Unallocated space of the
new Hard Drive (Disk 1 Unknown 149GB Not Initialized), I get a pull down
menu
with these 3 options:

New Partition...
Properties
Help

The first choice, New Partition is greyed out.

What do I need to do?

I am the Administrator by default. I have not setup any passwords.
WinXP Home boots up without asking for any password.
I am the only user on this computer.

Best regards,

Tapas
5 answers Last reply
More about disk management partition option greyed

    Initialize the disk. Right click on Disk 1 (if that is the disk you want to
    partition) and select Initialize. Now you can partition.

    Rocky

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > Initialize the disk. Right click on Disk 1 (if that is the disk you want
    > partition) and select Initialize. Now you can partition.
    >
    > Rocky

    Thanks a million Rocky!!!

    That was indeed the solution to my problem. Thanks for your speedy response.

    If any one is interested, I took notes of the entire process while
    partitioning my new hard drive on my Dell Dimension 4600
    WinXP Home PC.

    I bought a Samsung SP1604N 160GB Hard Drive (Ultra ATA 133, 7200RPM)
    and installed it as my Primary Slave HD.

    Primary IDE Channel
    -------------------
    Primary Master HD = Western Digital WD800 80GB [C:]
    Primary Slave HD = Samsung SP1604N 160GB

    Secondary IDE Channel
    ---------------------
    Secondary Master = CDROM Teac DVD+RW Model DV-58E [D:]
    Secondary Slave = Empty

    After the Samsung HD is installed and the computer is powered on, XP detects
    the new hardware: Samsung HD found.

    Device Manger reports the new Hard Drive

    | Start | Control Panel | System | Hardware | Device Manger | Disk Drives |

    SAMSUNG SP1604N
    WDC WD800BB-75FJA1

    System Information reports the new device

    | Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information |
    Components | Storage | Disks

    Manufacturer: Samsung SP1604N
    Size: 149.05 GB (160,039,272,960 bytes)

    Manufacturer: Western Digital
    Model: WDC WD800BB-75FJA1
    Size: 74.50 GB (79,999,073,280 bytes)

    I wanted to partition my new 160 GB Hard Drive as follows:

    E: 20 GB, NTFS, (For installing Programs)
    F: 16 GB, FAT32 (For all data files)
    G: 16 GB, FAT32 (For all data files - Mirror Image of F)
    H: 108 GB, NTFS (For large video files)

    I used Disk Management to Partition the new hard drive

    | Start | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management |
    Storage |
    Disk Management

    Disc 0 Basic 74.50 GB This is your original Western Digital C: drive

    Disc 1 Basic 149.05 GB Uninitialized! This is your new Hard Drive.

    Right Click on Disk 1 to Initialize

    Right Click on the Unallocated space (Black Bar) to display this menu:

    New Partition
    Properties
    Help

    Select New Partition

    Welcome to the New Partition Wizard
    -----------------------------------

    This wizard helps you create a partition on a basic disk.

    A basic disk is a physical disk that contains:
    Primary partitions
    Extended partitions
    Logical drives within extended partitions

    You can use any version of Windows or MS-DOS to gain access to partitions on
    basic discs.

    [Next]

    Select Partition Type
    ---------------------
    There are 3 types of partitions:
    Primary
    Extended
    Logical

    Select the partition you want to create

    Primary
    Extended

    a basic disk. Windows and other operating systems can start from a primary
    partition. You can create up to 4 Primary partitions or (3 Primary
    partitions + 1 Extended partition)

    An extended partition is a portion of a Master Boot Record (MBR) basic disk
    that can contain logical drives.
    Use and Extended partition if you want to have more than 4 volumes on your
    MBR basic disk.

    Select Extended

    [Next]

    Specify Partition Size
    ----------------------

    Choose a partition size that is between the maximum and minimum sizes

    Max disk space = 152625 MB
    Min disk space = 8 MB

    Partition size = 152625 MB

    Select this default full size. You want to make the Extended partition span
    the whole disk.

    [Next]

    Completing the New Partition Wizard
    ----------------------------------
    You have selected:
    Partition Type: Extended partition
    Disk selected: Disk 1
    Partition size: 152625 MB

    [Finish]

    Now you see a green bar for Disk 1 showing 149.04 GB of Free Space

    Right Click on the Green bar. You will see a drop down menu with 3 choices:

    New Logical Drive
    Delete Partition
    Help

    Select New Logical Drive

    Welcome to the New Partition Wizard
    -----------------------------------
    [Next]

    Select Partition Type
    ----------------------
    Select the partition you want to create

    Chose Logical Drive

    partition on a Master Boot Record (MBR) basic disk.

    [Next]

    Specify Partition Size
    ----------------------
    Max disk space = 152618 MB
    Min disk space = 8 MB

    Partition size = 21546

    [Next]

    Assign Drive Letter or Path
    ---------------------------
    For easier access you can assign a drive letter or drive path to your
    partition

    Assign the following drive letter = E

    [Next]

    Format Partition
    -----------------
    To store data on this partition you must format it first

    Choose whether you want to format this partition and if so what setting you
    want to use

    Do not format this partition
    * Format this partition with the following settings
    File System = NTFS NTFS/FAT32

    Allocation unit size = Default
    (Choices are 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32k, 64k)

    Volume Label: Programs

    Perform a quick format = Yes
    Enable file and folder compression = No

    [Next]

    Completing the New Partition Wizard
    -----------------------------------
    You have selected the following settings:
    Partition type: Logical Drive
    Disk selected: Disk 1
    Partition size: 21546 MB
    Drive letter: E:
    File System: NTFS
    Allocation unit size: Default
    Volume label: Programs
    Quick format: Yes

    [Finish]

    The newly created E: drive shows up in Blue
    Screen says Formatting.
    After a few minutes it reads:
    Programs (E:)
    21.04 GB NTFS
    Healthy

    Now you need to divide the remaining free space (128 GB) into 3 additional
    Logical drives:
    F = 16 GB Data FAT32
    G = 16 GB Data2 FAT32
    H = 96 GB Images NTFS

    Right Click on the Green bar (Free Space on Disk 1)

    Select New Logical Drive

    [Next]

    Select Partition Type
    ----------------------
    Logical Drive

    [Next]

    Specify Partition Size
    ----------------------
    Partition size = 15968 MB

    Assign Drive Letter

    Assign the following drive letter = F

    [Next]

    Format Partition
    -----------------
    Format this partition with the following settings
    File System = FAT32
    Allocation unit size = Default

    Volume Label = Data1
    Perform a quick format = Yes

    [Next]
    [Finish]

    Wait for a few minutes while it is formatting.
    When finished, the bar turns blue and the new Logical drive reads:

    Data1 (F:)
    15.6 GB FAT32
    Healthy

    Now you are ready to create Logical Drive G:

    Right Click on the Green bar (Free Space on Disk 1)

    Select New Logical Drive

    [Next]

    Select Partition Type
    ---------------------
    Logical Drive

    [Next]

    Specify Partition Size
    ----------------------
    Partition size = 15968 MB

    Assign Drive Letter

    Assign the following drive letter = G

    [Next]

    Format Partition
    ----------------
    Format this partition with the following settings
    File System = FAT32
    Allocation unit size = Default
    Volume Label = Data2
    Perform a quick format = Yes

    [Next]
    [Finish]

    Wait for a few minutes while it is formatting.
    When finished, the bar turns blue and the new Logical drive reads:

    Data2 (G:)
    15.6 GB FAT32
    Healthy

    Finally, you are ready to make the remaining free space = Logical drive H

    Right Click on the Green bar (Free Space on Disk 1)

    Select New Logical Drive

    [Next]

    Select Partition Type

    Logical Drive

    [Next]

    Specify Partition Size

    Maximum Disk space = 99128 MB
    Minm disk space = 8 MB

    Partition size = 99128 MB

    Assign Drive Letter

    Assign the following drive letter = H

    [Next]

    Format Partition

    Format this partition with the following settings
    File System = NTFS
    Allocation unit size = Default
    Volume Label = Images
    Perform a quick format = Yes
    Enable file and folder compression = No

    [Next]
    [Finish]

    Wait for a few minutes while it is formatting.
    When finished, the bar turns blue and the new Logical drive reads:

    Data1 (H:)
    96.80 GB NTFS
    Healthy

    Notes:

    1. The Programs were installed on the second hard drive for faster access.
    This way the Master disk has the OS on Drive C: at the very outer edge for
    fastest access.
    The Slave disk has the Programs installed on Logical Drive E: at the very
    outer edge for faster access.

    2. Logical Drives F:(Data1) and G:(Data2) were formatted as FAT32 to make
    them readable across the network by the older Dell machines running Win98SE

    3. The Logical Drive H:(Images) was formatted as NTFS to support the large
    video files (greater than 2GB)

    Hope this information helps someone!

    Best regards,

    Tapas

    Hi Tapas and Rocky.
    I had exactly the same problem and your solution worked a treat. Many
    (160gb) thanks
    Cyclops

    --
    Cyclops
  4. Thanks!

    Quote:

    Initialize the disk. Right click on Disk 1 (if that is the disk you want to
    partition) and select Initialize. Now you can partition.

    Rocky

    "Tapas Das" <das.t@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I want to use the Disk Managment utility to partition my second Hard Drive
    > on
    > my new Dell Dimension D4600 XP Home PC.
    >
    > When I open up Disk Management and click on the Unallocated space of the
    > new Hard Drive (Disk 1 Unknown 149GB Not Initialized), I get a pull down
    > menu
    > with these 3 options:
    >
    > New Partition...
    > Properties
    > Help
    >
    > The first choice, New Partition is greyed out.
    >
    > What do I need to do?
    >
    > I am the Administrator by default. I have not setup any passwords.
    > WinXP Home boots up without asking for any password.
    > I am the only user on this computer.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Tapas

  5. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Dell Disk Management Partition Computers