xx5zigenxx

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
I couldn't really find a good category, sorry!

Okay, so I built an HTPC less than a month ago. Before, I would game on my ps3 in the living room. But now i have my pc in my living room and would really like my ps3 to also be in here...(I'm not fat lol, I just don't want to be so exposed to the house so I can game at night on the ps3 and not have issues with waking up others.)

So basically, I have an HP 1680 x 1050 monitor that i hooked my pc up to. the monitor only has one dvi port, the other is vga. If I wanted to hook up the ps3 to the vga, I wouldn't get the same quality as dvi(im aware the ps3 will only output 720p for this monitor) and it will cost much, much more because I will need a special VGA to HDMI adapter that transforms digital signal to analog. (the ps3 is'nt capable of doing that task by itself like modern graphics cards. Those go for like... 60$. I was wondering if there was a special cable that had two inputs and one output, so i could just shut off my pc and turn on the ps3 and get the ps3 display. I've seen other cables that are the opposite, one input, two outputs for two identical displays on two monitors from one pc. But I haven't seen the kind I'm talking about...

Audio is no issue. ill just get an RCA stereo to Aux cable and use my 5.1 speakers, although ill only get sound from two speakers and the sub... its all i need.

xx5zigenxx

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Okay so after a few hours of research (no kidding) I found out that what i need is actually called a KVM switch. But these things go for a lot of money! I don't want a VGA one, that would ruin the point of this thread as the ps3 wouldn't work. Can someone help me find the cheapest DVI KVM switch? I'm tired of looking around to find nothing.