Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Very Hard Decision

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 9, 2011 2:07:08 AM

Hi guys!

I'm having really hard time deciding what Monitor to buy.
I will be using it ONLY for gaming purposes. (COD MW3, Diablo 3, All the newer BF games and the new ones coming up, many different FPS games)
I will be playing at x 1080 resolution and I don't want anything smaller than 23" or bigger than 24"
I have NO CASH LIMIT.
But I also would like to not waste $1000 on a monitor.... O.o
So from my research I came up with couple good possible monitors... BUT I would love your input and your opinion about these monitors and your suggestion of what I should get.
Oh by the way, I'm not interested in 3d gaming, but if you have a monitor that includes 3d, I'd be fine with it. :) 

I would love the specs of the monitor to be around this:
Response Time 2ms(GTG)
Good Contrast Ratio
Good Refresh Rate
80 hz to 120 hz preferrable
NO built in speakers

Here are my specs:

Case: Azza CSAZ-1000
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro B3
Ram: Patriot PXD38G1866ELK Viper Xtreme 1866MHz
Processor: 2600k 3.8 turbo boost
Fan for processor: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (idle at 23C)
Power Supply:Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200
Graphic Card: Asus Radeon HD 6970 Factory Overclocked
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

Monitors that I would possibly buy for GAMING only, below. :) 

ASUS VG236HE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-236-...

Samsung PX2370
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Acer GD235HZ

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Thanks to all who are contributing to my post and letting me have a better choice :) 

More about : hard decision

August 26, 2011 11:53:38 PM

so i waited a long time for a reply and still nothing...
i guess there is noone on these forums that is an expert at gaming monitors..
Score
August 27, 2011 2:30:44 AM

The u2311h is supposed to be a great gaming monitor. It's an ips screen, so there are rich colors, instead of the washed out ones of a "gaming tn panel".

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm

But I'm getting a $25 2060u CRT from craigslist. :) 
Score
Related resources
August 29, 2011 3:30:27 AM

2600k for a gaming rig w/ a single 6950, what's the purpose for that exactly? I'd have saved that $100 and gone with a 570 GTX or something.
Score
August 29, 2011 10:05:26 AM

Yes, should've gotten a 2500k instead, and a better video card. i5 performs the same as i7 in games. Too late now, I guess, unless you haven't ordered the computer.
Score
a c 108 C Monitor
August 29, 2011 1:08:25 PM

OP:

there are quite a few knowledgeable people on this forum. quite a few of us respond to monitor advice. you probably just fell through the cracks... you know you can always bump your post in case we missed it. also you should read other posts similar to yours as the same questions get asked every single day. this saves us time and effort if you read up on things a little bit.

first of all the monitors would only be 60hz or 120hz (dual dvi 60hz + 60hz) in the usa. 120hz are all tn panels

response times in the 2ms range are also all tn panels. such a low response time is absolutely not required, especially considering you dont want 3d and dont need a 120hz panel.

personally i'd recommend against buying a tn panel unless you absolutely need 3d. the viewing angle on such panels is horrible. at 5-10 degrees off center colors "grey out" or "invert".

on a budget i'd suggest a 6bit e-ips or va panel. if you want a better monitor get a S, I, or P-IPS 8bit panel. response times will be a bit higher but the quality is worth it.

personally i prefer viewsonic but i've heard good things about acer, asus, dell.
Score
August 30, 2011 9:00:36 AM

ssddx said:
OP:

there are quite a few knowledgeable people on this forum. quite a few of us respond to monitor advice. you probably just fell through the cracks... you know you can always bump your post in case we missed it. also you should read other posts similar to yours as the same questions get asked every single day. this saves us time and effort if you read up on things a little bit.

first of all the monitors would only be 60hz or 120hz (dual dvi 60hz + 60hz) in the usa. 120hz are all tn panels

response times in the 2ms range are also all tn panels. such a low response time is absolutely not required, especially considering you dont want 3d and dont need a 120hz panel.

personally i'd recommend against buying a tn panel unless you absolutely need 3d. the viewing angle on such panels is horrible. at 5-10 degrees off center colors "grey out" or "invert".

on a budget i'd suggest a 6bit e-ips or va panel. if you want a better monitor get a S, I, or P-IPS 8bit panel. response times will be a bit higher but the quality is worth it.

personally i prefer viewsonic but i've heard good things about acer, asus, dell.

I agree. u2311h is a good choice if you want 16:9 23 inch, or u2412m/u2410 if you want 16:10 24 inch. ips is so much better than tn.
Score
August 31, 2011 5:39:12 PM

ssddx said:
OP:

so the 3 monitors I listed are not worth buying considering I wont be using 3d and I will be using only 1 monitor?
I need the monitor to be very good for gaming
Score
a c 108 C Monitor
August 31, 2011 7:35:35 PM

there are very many people who use TN panels for gaming. some people even swear by 120hz and super low 1-2ms response times. tn panels are also much cheaper to buy.

i've told you about the pros and cons of tn panels, it is up to you to decide if that is the route you want to go or not. if you're looking for a tn panel then those monitors you picked out might be fine. i'm just trying to educate you on the other options out there.
Score
September 7, 2011 12:10:02 AM

ughhh ...i never knew it would be so hard to decide on what monitor to buy heh...
im still searching for top of the line....gaming only monitor...
and im not concerned anymore about 120hz
Score

Best solution

a c 108 C Monitor
September 7, 2011 1:13:42 PM

the best thing to do would be to go to a place that sells computer monitors and to view them for yourself.

picking out a monitor is a personal thing. since all of our eyes view things slightly differently a monitor that i may like you may not and vice versa. we can make recommendations based on what people have liked here on the forum but ultimately it is your eyes and your decision that matters.

quite a few people seem to like some of the dell panels... but i've heard a few have backlight bleed.

personally i love my viewsonic panels...

the best possible image (at 1920x1080) would be from an 8bit H-IPS, S-IPS or P-IPS panel. the response times will be higher but shouldnt affect you in any way.
September 7, 2011 1:46:37 PM

Best answer selected by Mgizle.
Score
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2011 7:49:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!