Your question

Windows 7 occaisionally freezes on startup and locks up in desktop

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
December 7, 2012 4:02:34 PM

Hello,

This is my first time ever posting on a forum asking for help, but this latest issue has been bothering me for a while and I am stumped!

Sorry I am writing this from work so I may not remember all the details off the top of my head... but you can tell how much this is bothering me :) . Let me know if more details are needed and I can figure it out and send them over in the evening.

To start off here is my system:

CPU: I-7 930
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 500GB WD Blue
Power Supply: 750W Thermaltake
AMD Radeon HD5900

I can take pictures of my system later tonight.

My issue is that when I boot my computer, sometimes Windows 7 will get start at the Win 7 glowing icon (startup screen). When it locks up there is no HDD activity. Occaisionally, after power cycling the desktop a couple of times it will get into the windows desktop. Sometimes I can do a few things but then it will lock up and either be really slow or it will lockup, then unlock, lockup, then unlock.

When I boot into safe mode with networking everything seems okay and I don't experience any lockups.

Now all of this never used to happen. I recently moved (for a job) and a company had packed up and shipped my desktop PC. They had packed it really well. But before the desktop was shipped everything seemed to work fine. When I unboxed it and setting it up in my new place is when it started behaving this way.

Help is very much appreciated.

More about : windows occaisionally freezes startup locks desktop

December 7, 2012 4:05:52 PM

Sorry I forgot to add my MOBO:

ASUS P6T SE

mcooblal said:
Hello,

This is my first time ever posting on a forum asking for help, but this latest issue has been bothering me for a while and I am stumped!

Sorry I am writing this from work so I may not remember all the details off the top of my head... but you can tell how much this is bothering me :) . Let me know if more details are needed and I can figure it out and send them over in the evening.

To start off here is my system:

CPU: I-7 930
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 500GB WD Blue
Power Supply: 750W Thermaltake
AMD Radeon HD5900

I can take pictures of my system later tonight.

My issue is that when I boot my computer, sometimes Windows 7 will get start at the Win 7 glowing icon (startup screen). When it locks up there is no HDD activity. Occaisionally, after power cycling the desktop a couple of times it will get into the windows desktop. Sometimes I can do a few things but then it will lock up and either be really slow or it will lockup, then unlock, lockup, then unlock.

When I boot into safe mode with networking everything seems okay and I don't experience any lockups.

Now all of this never used to happen. I recently moved (for a job) and a company had packed up and shipped my desktop PC. They had packed it really well. But before the desktop was shipped everything seemed to work fine. When I unboxed it and setting it up in my new place is when it started behaving this way.

Help is very much appreciated.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 7, 2012 6:14:35 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2012 8:10:46 PM

Thanks Brett.

I ran a Western Digital diagnostics tool and it reported that everything was okay with the HDD.
m
l
December 7, 2012 8:31:37 PM

Try continue targeting the rest of the hardware e.g. do a memory check, temp check of all available sensors, check fan speeds, etc with one or more of the various monitoring utilities available e.g. coretemp, gpu-z, cpu-z, speccy. Anything outside limits?
m
l
December 8, 2012 4:46:31 AM

Thanks mesab66. I downloaded the tools you mentioned below. I started a clean install of windows. I believe my ATI card is supposed to have 2GB of RAM (Radeon HD5970 is supposed to be 2GB I think, dual GPU card).

Anyways, I did all the windows updates and before installing the AMD catalyst drivers I used the gpu-z tool. The temp was reporting 70C and 1 GB of DDR5 memory. The display drivers in device manager show Standard VGA drivres, I'm guessing that with no AMD drivers I am only using one GPU maybe?

Up until this point my desktop has been booting up and restarting successfully, no problems at all. I just installed the Catalyst drivers and then the issue started up on restart. I opened up my system and removed the video card. I tried to put it back into the PCIE slot but it doesn't "click" in the slot. I can't seem to make it "click" in place.

mesab66 said:
Try continue targeting the rest of the hardware e.g. do a memory check, temp check of all available sensors, check fan speeds, etc with one or more of the various monitoring utilities available e.g. coretemp, gpu-z, cpu-z, speccy. Anything outside limits?

m
l
December 8, 2012 10:46:13 AM

I'm thinking (I don't have a dual card setup) that gpu-z will show some settings on a per-card basis - there is usually a drop-down to select each (1MB) card e.g. at bottom of window. From a little googling.....

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1141/4/

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/video-card-overclocking...

Additionally, compare a few game (or try 3DMark) benchmarks with those in reviews - if you get similar results then xfire is in operation.

"I opened up my system and removed the video card. I tried to put it back into the PCIE slot but it doesn't "click" in the slot. I can't seem to make it "click" in place."

It should go back in from where it came - carefully! the clicking is due to one or two (there might only be one) latches at either end of the socket - you need look at these as you insert the card and (sometimes) manually move these untill they click.....usually they do this automatically.

"Up until this point my desktop has been booting up and restarting successfully, no problems at all. I just installed the Catalyst drivers and then the issue started up on restart"

I would suggest not installing the catalyst drivers (W7 automatic generics might be enough here - benchmarks will confirm xfire). Once the system is stable again, make an image backup (e.g. Acronis) then any rebuild of the OS & installed extra OS partition progs will happen in a matter of minutes! - you'll then have more energy to check out why the catalyst drivers you installed earlier didn't work.

m
l
December 8, 2012 4:16:43 PM

Hi mesab66,

I noticed one thing in this review. They have a 1000W power supply. I'm running with a 750W power supply. Is there a way to determine if my power supply is an issue? Do you know of any good power calculators to check?

I will try out your suggestions below. A friend of mine might also have an older PCIE video card which I might grab off of him to try in my system.

mesab66 said:
I'm thinking (I don't have a dual card setup) that gpu-z will show some settings on a per-card basis - there is usually a drop-down to select each (1MB) card e.g. at bottom of window. From a little googling.....

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1141/4/

http://forums.pureoverclock.com/video-card-overclocking...

Additionally, compare a few game (or try 3DMark) benchmarks with those in reviews - if you get similar results then xfire is in operation.

"I opened up my system and removed the video card. I tried to put it back into the PCIE slot but it doesn't "click" in the slot. I can't seem to make it "click" in place."

It should go back in from where it came - carefully! the clicking is due to one or two (there might only be one) latches at either end of the socket - you need look at these as you insert the card and (sometimes) manually move these untill they click.....usually they do this automatically.

"Up until this point my desktop has been booting up and restarting successfully, no problems at all. I just installed the Catalyst drivers and then the issue started up on restart"

I would suggest not installing the catalyst drivers (W7 automatic generics might be enough here - benchmarks will confirm xfire). Once the system is stable again, make an image backup (e.g. Acronis) then any rebuild of the OS & installed extra OS partition progs will happen in a matter of minutes! - you'll then have more energy to check out why the catalyst drivers you installed earlier didn't work.

m
l
December 8, 2012 8:35:36 PM

Almost all the major PSU manufacturers have online wattage calculators e.g. Corsair. Ty a couple out. The results are never identical but they do give you a fair idea.
m
l
!