How do I connect 3 Dell 1901FP monitors via DVI ?

I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution of
1280x1024 pixels.

1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
Dimension 4600 computer.

2. I want to have an extended desktop in WinXP Home that spans 3 monitors to
display 3840x1024 pixels at 60Hz.

3. I want to be able to view an Excel spreadsheet spanning all three
monitors.

Please tell me what I need.

The Dell 4600 Pentium 4 2.8GHz desktop has 1GB of RAM and came with an
nVidia 128MB GeForce FX5200 AGP graphics card that has a DVI out and a VGA
out.

I have 1 PCI slot free.

So far, I have been able to connect the first monitor via DVI and the second
monitor via VGA on the nVidia AGP card. I can extend my windows desktop fine
across 2 monitors.

What about the third monitor?

Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?

Best regards,

Tapas
4 answers Last reply
More about connect dell 1901fp monitors

    You would need a video card that has three DVI outputs, whose driver
    supports three monitors. I don't believe such a card or driver exists in the
    consumer market, but perhaps another poster will know of one.

    Rocky

    "Tapas Das" <das.t@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution of
    > 1280x1024 pixels.
    >
    > 1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
    > Dimension 4600 computer.
    >
    > 2. I want to have an extended desktop in WinXP Home that spans 3 monitors
    > display 3840x1024 pixels at 60Hz.
    >
    > 3. I want to be able to view an Excel spreadsheet spanning all three
    > monitors.
    >

    > Please tell me what I need.
    >

    > The Dell 4600 Pentium 4 2.8GHz desktop has 1GB of RAM and came with an
    > nVidia 128MB GeForce FX5200 AGP graphics card that has a DVI out and a VGA
    > out.
    >
    > I have 1 PCI slot free.
    >
    > So far, I have been able to connect the first monitor via DVI and the
    second
    > monitor via VGA on the nVidia AGP card. I can extend my windows desktop
    fine
    > across 2 monitors.
    >
    > What about the third monitor?
    >
    > Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Tapas

    "Tapas Das" <das.t@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    | I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution of
    | 1280x1024 pixels.
    |
    | 1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
    | Dimension 4600 computer.
    |

    | What about the third monitor?
    |
    | Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?
    |
    | Best regards,
    |
    | Tapas

    http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mms/versions.cfm

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    > "Tapas Das" <das.t@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > | I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution of
    > | 1280x1024 pixels.
    > |
    > | 1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
    > | Dimension 4600 computer.
    > |

    > | What about the third monitor?
    > |
    > | Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?
    > |
    > | Best regards,
    > |
    > | Tapas
    >
    > http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mms/versions.cfm

    or http://www.appian.com

    also, check out http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/products.asp

    there're quite a few solutions to your problem.

    "plated metal" <ha@yeah.right> wrote in message
    > HillBillyBuddhist wrote:
    > > "Tapas Das" <das.t@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > | I have 3 Dell 19" LCD monitors (1901FP). They have a native resolution
    of
    > > | 1280x1024 pixels.
    > > |
    > > | 1. I want to connect all three via the DVI digital interface to a Dell
    > > | Dimension 4600 computer.
    > > |

    > > | What about the third monitor?
    > > |
    > > | Can all three be connected digitally via DVI?
    > > |
    > > | Best regards,
    > > |
    > > | Tapas
    > >
    > > http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mms/versions.cfm
    > >

    > or http://www.appian.com
    >
    > also, check out http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/products.asp
    >
    > there're quite a few solutions to your problem.

    Thanks a million for those links. I was able to connect 4 Dell Ultrasharp
    1901FP monitors to my Dell Dimension 4600 computer using an additional
    Chaintech P-FX20 PCI graphics card based on the Nvidia GeForce FX5200
    chipset.
    The card cost me $70.

    I have posted a picture of my setup here:

    www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=507

    Two monitors are connected to the AGP Nvidia GeForce FX5200 graphics card.
    The other two are connected to the new PCI graphics card.

    All 4 are running at 1280 x 1024, with 32 bits, 60Hz. The two monitors on
    VGA needed a slight manual adjustment from the front panel for sharpest
    text. This involves going into the On Screen Display, clicking on Image
    Settings and then fine tuning these two parameters:

    Pixel Clock
    Phase

    The Auto Adjust did not give the best results. There was a unique
    combination of this Pixel Clock and Phase values where the text became
    perfectly razor sharp and uniform across the entire panel.

    For the 2 monitors on DVI, this was not an issue. Text was razor sharp from
    the get go.

    I found 2 utilities that are very useful with Multi-Monitor setups:

    UltraMon
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

    TrueLaunchBar
    http://www.truelaunchbar.com/