networking pro and home

Having trouble getting my xp pro laptop to network with my
xp home desktop. System message says that I may need to
change administrator's rights or some variation of that.
Could it be the software in my router?
2 answers Last reply
More about networking home

    At this point, it could be several things:
    1-Do you have a firewall enabled on your XP machines?
    2-Are both in the same workgroup?
    3-Do both share the same subnet?
    4-Does your router have DHCP enabled?
    5-If firewalls exist, do you have the DHCP range in the "trusted zone"?

    DPSkiman

    "eric williams" wrote:

    > Having trouble getting my xp pro laptop to network with my
    > xp home desktop. System message says that I may need to
    > change administrator's rights or some variation of that.
    > Could it be the software in my router?

    If none of those suggestions fix the problem it might be a Windows XP
    security issue.

    DPSkiman wrote:

    > At this point, it could be several things:
    > 1-Do you have a firewall enabled on your XP machines?
    > 2-Are both in the same workgroup?
    > 3-Do both share the same subnet?
    > 4-Does your router have DHCP enabled?
    > 5-If firewalls exist, do you have the DHCP range in the "trusted zone"?
    >
    > DPSkiman
    >
    > "eric williams" wrote:
    >

    >>Having trouble getting my xp pro laptop to network with my
    >>xp home desktop. System message says that I may need to
    >>change administrator's rights or some variation of that.
    >>Could it be the software in my router?

Routers Networking Windows XP