Tech: TZ clock mod induces resets?

My TZ has been going solid for about 3 months since I did all the
driver boards mods (BR, caps, jumpers). Not a single reset even in the
midst of all the a/c going on off in the neighorhood.

Today I rebuild the clock with the LED version of the PBLiz boards.
Everything appears fine, turn game on but the error message is still
there that "clock is broken." In the Tests it will display the correct
time vs. where the hands are. OK weird.

I decide to look at this again later and proceed to add the new proxity
trough dector boards (PBLiz). This goes fine, detects all steel and the
powerball fine. I then decide to change the batterys and do so.

Now I'm playing and I get hard resets nearly every 1st ball. It
completely resets, erased my 1.9B high score:( and displays: "Factory
resets restored" and "Book keeping and audits reset."

I'm like WTF, this has gone from bad to worse. I reseat the clock
harness connectors but no change. I'll disconnect the clock tomorrow
and see what happens (I'm too pissed and beat now).

Anybody ever has simlar thing happen?

nomad
5 answers Last reply
More about tech clock induces resets

    No....

    The error message will stay until the game
    detects the clock is working properly.

    If your TZ has a high power (coil) shutoff, you
    will get the error if the coin door is open.

    If your clock passes all of the diagnostics
    okay, you have some other problem with
    your game, not related to the clock. Be
    sure that the plugs on the bottom are on
    correctly, and are on the correct sides as
    well. The clock must pass ALL tests.

    Make sure that the batteries you installed
    are good, installed correctly, and providing
    voltage when installed.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1125200472.585336.42140@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > My TZ has been going solid for about 3 months since I did all the
    > driver boards mods (BR, caps, jumpers). Not a single reset even in the
    > midst of all the a/c going on off in the neighorhood.
    >
    > Today I rebuild the clock with the LED version of the PBLiz boards.
    > Everything appears fine, turn game on but the error message is still
    > there that "clock is broken." In the Tests it will display the correct
    > time vs. where the hands are. OK weird.
    >
    > I decide to look at this again later and proceed to add the new proxity
    > trough dector boards (PBLiz). This goes fine, detects all steel and the
    > powerball fine. I then decide to change the batterys and do so.
    >
    > Now I'm playing and I get hard resets nearly every 1st ball. It
    > completely resets, erased my 1.9B high score:( and displays: "Factory
    > resets restored" and "Book keeping and audits reset."
    >
    > I'm like WTF, this has gone from bad to worse. I reseat the clock
    > harness connectors but no change. I'll disconnect the clock tomorrow
    > and see what happens (I'm too pissed and beat now).
    >
    > Anybody ever has simlar thing happen?
    >
    > nomad

    Sounds like a problem going on, maybe a short to the switch matrix or
    something. Backwards diode on a switch can cause a reset. Be sure the wiring
    to clock and proximity board is all in the right spots. Weird clock runs in
    test but comes up broken. You have a loose wire on a switch row or column ?
    Check the clock millions target, poor connection there is on part of your
    clock opto line.

    And don't rule out components going bad. Very possible you had a bridge
    rectifier fail prematurely or Q1 voltage regulating transistor happen at the
    same time.

    And battery damage on the cpu - ever ? I'd suspect something there for a
    reset that wipes thing to factory resets. If not, look the cpu over anyway
    for splash of solder, a wire, anything that could be stuck under IC legs and
    raising heck. LTG :)

    "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My TZ has been going solid for about 3 months since I did all the
    > driver boards mods (BR, caps, jumpers). Not a single reset even in the
    > midst of all the a/c going on off in the neighorhood.
    >
    > Today I rebuild the clock with the LED version of the PBLiz boards.
    > Everything appears fine, turn game on but the error message is still
    > there that "clock is broken." In the Tests it will display the correct
    > time vs. where the hands are. OK weird.
    >
    > I decide to look at this again later and proceed to add the new proxity
    > trough dector boards (PBLiz). This goes fine, detects all steel and the
    > powerball fine. I then decide to change the batterys and do so.
    >
    > Now I'm playing and I get hard resets nearly every 1st ball. It
    > completely resets, erased my 1.9B high score:( and displays: "Factory
    > resets restored" and "Book keeping and audits reset."
    >
    > I'm like WTF, this has gone from bad to worse. I reseat the clock
    > harness connectors but no change. I'll disconnect the clock tomorrow
    > and see what happens (I'm too pissed and beat now).
    >
    > Anybody ever has simlar thing happen?
    >
    > nomad

    Thanks! I plan on taking my clock apart again tonight when I change out
    the clock housing for the blue Mantis one! Hopefully I can find what
    you found.

    nomad

    Hi,
    I recently had some problems on my new TZ too.
    Clock shows fine in test, but fails in game.
    It was due to the gears not being alligned correctly.

    When you remove the big black wheel you will see that the white gear
    that has the long shaft has 2 marked tooths. The connecting gear(the
    one that drives the black wheel) also has a marked gear.
    Now, when these 2 markings are aligned it is 12 o clock.
    On the gear that drives the black wheel are also 2 tooths that are a
    bit smaller.
    They r not factory marked with black.
    remember these 2 tooth.
    Now look @ the back of the black wheel, it has a line pointing @ 1 tooth.
    This tooth needs to be inbetween the 2 teeth you marked on the white gear.

    When you done all this the clock is @ 12 o clock and perfectly aligned.
    It should work fine now in both test and startup.

    Good luck.

    On 2005-08-28 05:41:12 +0200, "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> said:

    > My TZ has been going solid for about 3 months since I did all the
    > driver boards mods (BR, caps, jumpers). Not a single reset even in the
    > midst of all the a/c going on off in the neighorhood.
    >
    > Today I rebuild the clock with the LED version of the PBLiz boards.
    > Everything appears fine, turn game on but the error message is still
    > there that "clock is broken." In the Tests it will display the correct
    > time vs. where the hands are. OK weird.
    >
    > I decide to look at this again later and proceed to add the new proxity
    > trough dector boards (PBLiz). This goes fine, detects all steel and the
    > powerball fine. I then decide to change the batterys and do so.
    >
    > Now I'm playing and I get hard resets nearly every 1st ball. It
    > completely resets, erased my 1.9B high score:( and displays: "Factory
    > resets restored" and "Book keeping and audits reset."
    >
    > I'm like WTF, this has gone from bad to worse. I reseat the clock
    > harness connectors but no change. I'll disconnect the clock tomorrow
    > and see what happens (I'm too pissed and beat now).
    >
    > Anybody ever has simlar thing happen?
    >
    > nomad

    I'm sorry if I posted it a bit vague but my native language is not english :)
    I hope you can get what I'm saying.
    if not I can supply pics for you.

    On 2005-09-10 22:55:30 +0200, "nomad" <damonoresky@hotmail.com> said:

    > Thanks! I plan on taking my clock apart again tonight when I change out
    > the clock housing for the blue Mantis one! Hopefully I can find what
    > you found.
    >
    > nomad

Video Games