Sign in with
Your question

new comp help

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 3, 2004 4:16:50 PM

ok, i have just finished he basement in my house and im looking to put a whole new system in. i am willing to spend $3000-$4000 for this computer. i will be doing mostly gaming and a little bit of video editing, but nothing crazy. plz dont post that i dont need to spend that much money on a system to do that. i have saved and am ready for a new comp. i do have some ideas for my comp, but i just want to get a good opinion with no biased results. i am willing to oc my graphics and my cpu.

More about : comp

September 3, 2004 4:19:39 PM

it's a religous argument Intel vs. AMD

You'll get opinions on both sides.

I'm for 64 bit computing, well, because I've been involved with it for over 10 years (DEC Alpha AXP)

Just one thought among many....

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
September 3, 2004 8:01:12 PM

If you're willing to spend that much, you can pretty much have whatever you want, you could order a boutique system from voodoo or alienware if you wanted, and just get a nice-looking, quality, well-made computer. But, if you insist on building your own, here are my recs.

Processor: Athlon 64 3800+ Socket 939 - $650
Mobo: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum: $150
RAM - 4 X Crucial Ballistix DDR4000 512 mb - $600
HD - 2 74 gig raptors in raid 0 + 250 gig Hitachi - $500
Optical - Lite-On 16X dual layer dvd drive - $80
PSU - Fortron Source 550W - $90.
Video Card - X800xt or 6800 ultra (your brand preference) - $600

That's an Uber Rig for about $2600. Choose whatever case you want.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2004 2:59:19 AM

You should just have me build you a computer. For $1000 I'll build it and custom integrate it into your workspace!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 4, 2004 3:16:30 AM

You can't build it for that. Come on, get two grand at least! You're worth it!
:smile:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2004 4:54:10 AM

Nah, that's just labor and trasportation. I'll go to his house and integrate whatever he wants integrated from the PC into his basement (speakers, desk, etc) to make it look uber pro. And assemble the system of course. After all, he IS looking to spend money.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 4, 2004 7:35:59 AM

video editing? Hmmm...$3K-$4K? Ever think of dual processors and one BFM? Big Fu©king Monitor?

<font color=blue>This guy here is <i><b>dead!</b></i></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2004 8:00:17 AM

Don't tell anyone, but my asian name is Fu King.

September 4, 2004 2:45:34 PM

i have thought of dual processers and was thinking that would b a good idea for more power. i havent been able to find too many mobos that can handle 2 processers (i also havent been looking for that in particular). i dont really want to spend over 1000 for the monitor, becuase id rather have a faster and better rig than a huge ass monitor. would it b worth putting all 4 gigs of ram on a mobo, or just have 2 gigs? i can go over 4000, if need be. plz keep posting replies and thanks for the one b4 this.

would it be worth getting pci express on the mobo? are there any mobos that can handle 2 processors and pci-express?
September 4, 2004 5:21:14 PM

Dude, you can get a nice 21" Samsung LCD for $1000. Also, you can get a gorgeous 19" Sony LCD for around $800. I don't know about the AMD side, but if you go Xeon, make sure you find the 800Mhz FSB ones. You can find them on Pricewatch and go from there. FOR ANYONE: can you overclock xeons? If so, I'd go for dual 3.0's and overclock them to 3.4-3.6. THAT would be a sweet system. I, myself, want to build my own workstation for 3D graphics and compositing. Already got a decent gaming rig.

<font color=blue>This guy here is <i><b>dead!</b></i></font color=blue>
<font color=red>Cross him <i><b>off</b></i> then.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by krazynutz on 09/04/04 01:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 4, 2004 6:36:52 PM

check out the maximum pc 2004 dream machine it ended up beidg $12,328 take out the 37 incl lcd the $800 dollar touch lcd and the the 800 dollar paint job stick with just 2 raptors take a few other thing out get everything on pricewatch and you got a really nice 4ghz pc that you can build
Good luck

System Spec:
Asus P4c800-E
3.2e @3.8ghz
2X512 corsair xms pro 2-2-2-5
all in wonder 9800 pro
74gb raptor
audigy 2zs
klipsch ultra
a b à CPUs
September 4, 2004 6:47:41 PM

You can overclock Asus's dual processor 875P board from 133 to 150MHz bus. That's not a huge gain, but with Xeons running the lower bus speeds it's still a noticeble gain. it could take 2 3.2GHz Xeons (533 bus) to 3.6GHz. Or 2 3.06GHz Xeons to 3450MHz.

Personally I'd go with the A64 3600+ and a superior cooling system to get it past 4000+ speed. But with the new 90nm A64's out, it's just a matter of short wait before those hit the shelves, providing better overclocking potential.

!